• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a collection, but it's way smaller than my DVD collection ever was. I think the last movie I bought was John Wick 3, and I usually only buy movies when they are deeply discounted.

I still rent Blu-rays from Redbox, and I buy anime Blu-ray's of series I enjoy because I like having access to them even in periods where i'm not really watching anime and am not subscribed to anime streaming services

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I don't have a huge collection. Probably around 30ish films. Most of them 1080p. I have like 5 4K movies.
I pretty much only buy films that I know for sure I'll watch more than a couple of times.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, probably like 100 DVDs / Blu-ray's or so that I have collected over the past 20 some years. They are the movies or shows that i really want to keep around and not have to worry about not finding them on streaming services or a certain streaming channel.

Also, having physical media has also helped save money in not needing streaming services or entertainment or going over on data caps for internet, especially when trying to scrimp and save money right now. I mean I can save $50-75 / month by not exceeding my data cap and keeping streaming services to a single one, or none!

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I got a couple hundred. I did probably have double that but I had a purge during the first lockdown (In the uk) last year and donated them to people who wanted them.

At the moment I feel comfortable having them in my room as they are not to overbearing, but to be honest I may watch one or two a year, or if the internet goes down. I may have well not have them. Those one or two a year are normally Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max as the quality is still better than my internet, or at least it won't drop.

Got a few Dvds left to. I was massively into world cinema at one point and a lot of them are still not available on streaming services so keep them around.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
I have around 40-50 blu-rays with a mix of 4K movies. I won't replace all my 1080p Blu-Rays with 4k. Way too expensive. I do try to buy all my movies in 4K though if it is an option.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Tons of them, and gradually replacing them with 4k blu rays as I go.

Having a 75 inch 4K TV and relying on streaming content is like buying a sports car then riding around on a spare tire because it's "good enough"

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and my collection is only going to grow. I'm nearing about 1400 movies/TV Shows. I love having physical media and being able to watch something when I want to and not have to go searching to see which streaming service it's on or worse have to rent it.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a couple

d176GVW.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have around 150-200 blu-rays / uhd.

Definitely buy a lot less these days but haven't really moved to buying digital copies instead.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I still have some, though they're stored in a box in the closet. All my consumption is digital these days. Also I still have a 1080p TV so no reason to buy 4K discs when I was still getting physical media.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
For my western films I have them all on iTunes. For my Martial arts stuff I have no choice but to get the Blu Rays or DVD. Unless is from WellGO USA which I rarely get physical. Their Blu Rays are very barren so I just go with iTunes. The majority of my Shaw Bros stuff is on iTunes. Only a few I have physical due to the commentary. I would love to get my Anime on iTunes but the whole nonsense of them selling the dub and the original separate is fucking dumb.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I have like 10 BD but I actually stopped buying when 4k came out. No point in buying a outdated tech.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The collection I have is still pretty big (maybe like 150 movies?) but I don't buy much these days, mostly just stream it.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just started back collecting a year ago when I got my C9. Streaming is definitely more convenient but the stability and audio/video upgrade you get from a disc is worth it to me. I'll usually get the 4K for films I care about if available but I still collect 1080p discs as well. I've got quite a few from criterion, arrow, and other boutique labels.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My cupboard is full of them, have barely any free space for a collection at this point, so I've been streaming more lately. I did buy a few Ultra HD discs recently, but don't have a HDR TV yet to take advantage of them. I probably won't collect them like I did with Blu-ray.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
yes, especially my criterion discs. I love watching extra features and reading the essays

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I have all of the Criterion discs, which is dumb, but it was just a habit I got into doing something like 20 years ago and it's been easy to keep up.

Here are my non-Criterions (some are 4k):

4UjK4Ve.jpg

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I am always curious to see how people organize (or dont) their large physical media collections.
I have my movies categorized then alpha within categories.
LPs I have alpha by artist and chronological within artist.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Bought a lot of blu-rays several years ago when I had a lot more disposable income, now they're mostly in a storage box.
Nowadays I only buy physical 4K discs for movies I love and the rest are bought on iTunes.

Oct 27, 2017
I sure do, I have a pretty great collection. Lots of releases from boutique labels, especially on the horror front. I don't believe in digital movies, also not big on streaming. Want less of that over time rather than more.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's crazy how much better 1080p bluerays look than 4k streaming; but I'm buying more 4k bluerays these days.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only thing I collect, I want to amass a massive personal library. I probably spend too much money to be honest, but whatever, you can't take it with you. Criterion needs to stop playing and adopt UHD, if Arrow can do it, they can do it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped buying movies when DVD's died. It's digital downloads or streaming; I don't rewatch movies enough to warrant it. Unlike video games, where I might get the itch to play a game again three years later, most movies I won't rewatch unless I catch them on TV, loaded with 48 hours of commercials.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a good bit, but I'm in the process of upgrading my favorites to 4K blu rays.

Same with my anime collection, the ones I still have on DVD, I'm upgrading to blu ray (if said series got a blu ray release).

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. I started collecting about 5 years ago when I got my first job. Now that I have a 4K TV and a next gen console, I'm going to start collecting 4K Blu-Rays :)

Nov 1, 2017
I used to buy a lot of anime blu-rays but it stopped bringing me happiness so I sold a bunch. I think the last one I purchased was Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer a couple of years back.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Yup a few hundreds and mist look better than the 4k streams of netflix/amazon/disney+. I won't depart from them

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I still have a shitload of DVDs and HD-DVDs too. What am I gonna do with em? I don't ever watch any of my collection though and have effectively stopped buying. I may buy some 4K ones here and there.. would be suckered into buying some old anime if it got a re-release.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have about 6-7 blurays that I never watch. Streaming, even with its inferior sound and video quality, just changed my habits too much for me to bust out a disc at this point. Oddly enough, I still have a bunch of DVDs for SD tv shows that look better on my CRT setup than they would through streaming in HD to a fixed pixel display. It's especially apparent for SD cartoons that haven't been properly remastered from the original drawings.

Also, I still also play records and CDs rather than stream them when I have physical versions of them in my collection too.

Movies and HD tv shows, however, I'm fine with streaming. It's usually close enough to a lossless experience for me to not care. The only time I really hated it was Game of Thrones - the compression artifacts and sound were awful compared to the BluRays. But I'll never watch that stinker of a show again :-/

Most streaming services have really great compression techniques now. Watching Rick and Morty on HBO Max is otherworldly (at least visually - not sure about sound).

Last edited: