• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you care about Steam achievements?

• I do

Votes: 191 23.9%
  • I do not

Votes: 608 76.1%

• Total voters

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. People can talk about "it's easy to cheat them" all they want, I don't gain achievements to compete with others, I get them to feel a sense of accomplishment for myself.

I got all the achievements in RE3 over the weekend actually.

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
Usually not.
If I really like the game, and want to see everything it has to offer (as long as it doesn't take too long), I try to get them all, which I've done with only two games so far.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the game! I like trying to get the achievements in something like Hearts of Iron IV because they are usually wacky and require something different.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care but it's not just a Steam thing because I don't go out of my way for trophies or achievements either.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, the last time I cared about steam achievements was with Team Fortress 2 because it had really cool achievements that could track how far you were in to getting it, tracking the amount of kills or amounts of time you had to do something.

I was really close on getting the Platinum for Monster Hunter World, it was just getting the biggest crowns achievement with was RNG, it was a hard road to get even to that and I'm not doing that for PC all over again.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I used to, but I really don't now. It's neato to see an unusual or rare achievement pop-up, and I'm still proud of the super rare ones I've fished out, but I've got no time for that stuff anymore.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I don't care about achievements in general, and yet I can still somehow recognize on an instinctual level that Steam Achievements are even lesser than that "nothing" which I hold others to be.

I'm assuming their QA process isn't anywhere near as robust as the console-specific ones, because if testers had to do a lot of the dumbass shit required for Steam Achievements I've seen they'd just tell the devs to kick rocks.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't care about them. But they're useful to keep track of where I was before I dropped a game, for example. The latest achievement would give you the idea.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Trophies and achievements ? No fucks given about.

Now badges on the other hand are cooler IMO since they're unique to each games.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yes, i like to keep tracks of the games that i play. Nothing fancy, it's just a nice bonus when you play.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I like going for 100% for games I really enjoy. So I get that out of steam achievements.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
yes, but as personal challenges, not something to show off and brag to others about

the fact that someone else could use some program to just unlock achievements is entirely irrelevant to me; why should I care?

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
It feels good to get achievements but I've never chased after them! Although a few years down the line it feels nice to read through a game's achievements and realise the choice I made whilst playing.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
I did enjoy going after them in Black Mesa, so I guess I do care in some games.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Not so much on steam cause they can just be cheated or use a program to unlock them. I'll sometimes go after platinum trophies on ps4 tho if i'm enjoying the game and i don't have to go out of my way for whatever i'm missing.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
No. But it also true for any other platform. Video game achievements are pointless and a giant waste of time.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Achievements are terrible in general, but Steam Achievements are basically the equivalent of unwanted pop up notifications on your phone from an app that you installed for a one-time use.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I wouldn't say I care about getting the achievements, but I enjoy working towards certain ones if they offer a fun challenge e.g. Pacifist achievement on Deus Ex. The achievement just lets me know I actually did it.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I like them the same as any other achievement system. They are a good recording tool of my progress in games and a suggestion of others things to do if I so choose.

I don't give a shit if other people use hacks to unlock them because I never care about being in a trophy dick waving contest anyway, my achievements are just for my own reference.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
If the achievement doesn't unlock anything, I don't care about it.
Steam, Xbox, PSN Trophies, all meaningless shit that annoys me with a popup with a "witty" oneliner.
Early Team Fortress Achievements, which used to unlock equipment, guiding you through mastery of a class, was the only time achievements ever were good.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I absolutely love Steam achievements. I think their completion rate is one of the best ways of doing it, so I can see what my total percentage is at all times. I just wish they had one extra feature that they don't currently have, maybe a Platinum equivalent or something.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
They're pretty cool and incentivizes me to play in ways I usually don't.

I don't mind them being easily hackable since other's achievements aren't really affecting me. At worst, they inflate the unlock percentages but when comparing them with Playstation trophies they aren't out of control or anything, they still tend to be the same.

I still wish they did more work on the system though, like having a better overview of all my achievements, recently unlocked and things like that.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I still go for them in games I especially like. Same with any other platform. I see it as a sort of road map of things to do in the game.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have this mental perception of achievements that scales with how much I enjoy and appreciate the individual game that they stem from, and not necessarily the achievements as they are associated by platform. So I'll give a crap about Steam achievements if I really like (more like love) the game I'm playing.

I guess there's an extra layer of interest I have in PlayStation achievements because of how Platinum trophies work, but again, I don't even pay attention to trophies unless I truly and deeply love the game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I do not and wish the system was overhauled to be more like trophies or Xbox achievements. The ideal system is everything the way Microsoft has it but with a "platinum" achievement or even account badge when you get them all.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Never did.

To some extent I enjoy it on consoles though but somehow never did on PC-platforms. Not sure why..

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I care about the cards because I sell them in bulk to partially fund my backlog expanding addiction

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
it was doomed from the start as a community feature when we look at cheaters. Ofc i never cared about them.

can still be fun if you keep things clean on a personal level, to keep track of stuff.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I like having them on a system level and at least steam has that. I don't cheat so that doesn't bother me. I just like seeing progression that's tracked and on other websites like truesteam achievements or metagamerscore so that's nice.

Unfortunately steams implementation isn't that great compared to the consoles but at least it has them unlike Nintendo. It's nice way to see what's in a game. I only 100% it if it's fun and I really like the game I don't go out of my way and make it feel like a chore. Most of the time I'll get what I can along the way and rarely go back to replay to get more as the game has to be like a 9/10 and not have ridiculous achievements if I do that.

I've only 100% Grandia 2 and Trails in the Sky part 2 as they were pleasant to go through and not overly time consuming with ridiculous multiple play achievements.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
As much as Trophies, which is zero. In game achievements that actually reward you with something like in wow/ff xiv yeah.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
For bragging rights? Yeah, no, fuck that noise.

I like them as a record of milestones in a game, the global comparison is nice to see where are other people at.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Love the achievements when they are well-done.

In some cases they really add something to the game experience, especially when the developer puts some effort into them.

Also, i usually hunt for them for my personal pleasure, as a challenge, not to "show" someone else that I unlocked them.

So, the "They are easily cheated" does not touch me.

In some cases they even make me discover things in a game that I would have missed.

So, yep, I really care about the achivements.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped caring about trophies or achievements during PS3-era. Many are unnecessary grinds that don't increase my fun with the game if I don't like the game's mechanics that much already. Or I might like the game but don't bother grinding anyway.