• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Not really, Persona has mostly been the only consistent thing about SMT for a while now. Will get if it eventualy if it's any good AND is released in a console I own

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Both 4 and 4A had some missteps but I still enjoyed them both. I have hopes that 5 will be good, but will it be Nocturne-good? I can hope.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Lol I care about SMT more now than ever, in the last year I played Nocturne and Strange Journey Redux for the forst time.
Also replayed SMTIV which is my favourite and probably I'll replay Apocalypse in times too.
So yeah, I'd just want to know something about SMTV though

Jun 24, 2019
I'm on a Megaten high since last year, so I am excited.

My biggest concern is the writing and art direction. It took a fall from SMT IV onwards. If SMT V follows the path of Apocalypse...welp...RIP SMT. It was nice knowing you.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Very much so. Wasn't a fan of 4 but Nocturne is one of my favorite games of all time.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm yeah. I've played a good bit of Digital Devil Saga before my PS2 deciced to die on me, SMT4 was cool... I'll be there when they decide to show something of SMT5.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! Yes, I do. I care a lot. And I hope Atlus does too. I really hope we're finally getting some SMT V news this year. It's about time... And of course I hope the game will be good. While I doubt they will ever be able to recreate the mood of Nocturne, I hope SMT V will be somewhat close.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
Yep although I'm only a recent fan through Persona.

I bought 4, Strange Journey remake and Apocolypse and am definitely in for 5. The SMT x Fire Emblem Wii U game is something I haven't really managed to get into at all

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite gaming franchise, so yeah. I try not to even think about SMTV, who knows when that will be out.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Yes. It is a very special series to me. Mainline entries take forever to make sure, but it's a bit like Dragon Quest I think, it helps preventing franchise fatigue and making each new entry very special. And remember we had to wait 10 years for 4...so long ass gap are not new to the series.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely looking forward to SMTV Day 1 whenever it arrives. It's just that I have a huge backlog anyway that always grows, so it's not like I am suffering in the meantime.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I do, as my avatar obviously indicates. Atlus will eventually deliver, they're just being Atlus and working very slowly. But I do hope we'll see content being made at a much faster pace once SMT V is released.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah but I still have a lot of SMT to play. Not counting Persona I've only played the Devil Survivors and SMT4 (not Apocalypse) so far, SMT4A is something I'm planning on playing through soon.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes absolutely. I gobble up the next SMTV trailer as soon as Atlus releases it.
The wait doesn't really bother me. It was obvious to me that they announced the game without having done any work on it so I expected it'd take 3-5 years. No biggie. Plenty of other stuff to play.

Oct 30, 2017

Still watch this trailer till this day......

Gahhhhhhhhh

Where is this game haha.

It was one of the reasons I was so hyped on the Switch. I really hope it is going to come around sometime soon. It has been 3-4 years since being announced as in development right? Really hope this thing shows up n some form on the Switch still. This series is the only reason I still play my 3DS in all honesty at this point, I wish I could play those games on my Switch, screen quality between the two is too much as this point for my eyes.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we look at this objectively

SMT4 Apocalypse turned out the way it did because the staff WANTED it. So we got weeb garbage in the span of one spin-off because they were given free reigns. This does not inspire confidence

TMS #FE was supposed to be a SMT/FE Collab, the end result is an experience that would make Persona blush in a daze of visual fluff that hides its extremely generic tropes. Basically "no one asked for it: the game"

Deep Strange Journey features blushing characters that were on their own extremely good and strong in the original. On top of wiping away everything Kaneko had made for the game.

So I'm just wondering. Why should I care about SMT5? Why should I believe they will do good when there is already evidence that they can't make it good?

I know this is the most cynical take but, yeah, I'm kinda there too (though TMS was always meant to be its own thing so I don't harsh on it).

Apoc was designed by the developers to be more typically shonen anime with childhood friendgirls and little assassin girls who fall in love with the hero and bicker over him. I like the game but it's not exactly what I want SMT to be.

Strange Journey Redux just got it worst of all.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Massive gaps between major numbered releases are just how things are when it comes to SMT & Persona. If SMT4 didn't drive me away from the series, waiting a few years for SMT5 isn't going to do it.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse is the most fun game in the series. Not the best, mind you but the most fun to actually play.

The best game in the series is regular old SMT IV.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Only reason I bought a switch was smt V and I hoped Fatal Frame:MoBW would get a port. Pretty disappointed in those two but otherwise happy with it

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Sure I do! I am hoping to hear something about V...some day.

I'm surprised to many people dislike IV! I am not a massive SMT fan admittedly, but I remember playing and enjoying it quite a bit.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Loved Strange Journey, SMTIV and SMTIV: Apocalypse even with the dumb teen anime tropes in the latter. I enjoy SMT way more than Persona.

Apocalyse was great for shaking up the law/chaos setup with other pantheons, particularly the Celtic gods.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shot in the dark: Do you think SMT would be better off were it to market itself to an adult RPG fan audience? I know there's the M rating but they also felt kind of teenage to me (part of which being always having teenage protagonists).

I guess it's like, Yakuza sells it self to grown men, and the story is about guys in the 30s and 40s. Would SMT be better off dealing with a more mature audience?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah. The heightened popularity of Persona gives Megami Tensei a reason to maintain its differentiation as the core Atlus franchise.

Jun 24, 2019
Shot in the dark: Do you think SMT would be better off were it to market itself to an adult RPG fan audience? I know there's the M rating but they also felt kind of teenage to me (part of which being always having teenage protagonists).

I guess it's like, Yakuza sells it self to grown men, and the story is about guys in the 30s and 40s. Would SMT be better off dealing with a more mature audience?

SMT leans more to seinen and most of the protagonists are 18+ years. Relatively young adults.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Not as much as I used to. I thought SMT4 was ok but not great. The loss of kaneko has really deflated my interest as his art was a big part of why I first got into the franchise. Didn't play strange journey redux because of that even though I really liked the original (and now I'm reading they added blushing anime shit too?)

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the weird and interesting spinoffs like Strange Journey, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor?
Most of these were conceived specifically to expand the audience of Megami Tensei. Now that Persona took off to multi-million sales, they could be seen as obsolete from Atlus' management's point of view.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Yup in some ways I like it even more than the Persona games. I just hope Atlus would care about the series more

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I still like SMT a lot. I care even more since the hiatus! SMT is a series I got into because of Persona but I like SMT way more, as someone who just came into the series in 2013 though I still have the Strange Journey to play & I wish I could play Nocturne but I'm not gonna be bitter about it we all know how Atlus is about porting anything that's not Persona and even that didn't change until Golden really.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
SMT is still Atlus' best franchise so far. Hope SMTV doesn't go too far in weeb territory, SMT4 Apocalypse was already pushing it.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Playing SMT IV just now as my first entry into the main line series and I'm having a blast (45hrs in)! Either on its art side, atmosphere or gameplay, everything really catches me.

I've also played 60 hrs of P4G but didn't get that much into it as it's mostly dealing with teenager issues and that's not really my cup of tea. Plus the dungeons were really super boring to me.

In any case, there's no doubt I'll keep digging into SMT!

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Personally I'm curious about a new one. I can't say I'd be there day one or anything, but I'd be interested time/money permitting after getting some impressions
I've only ever played 4 in the main franchise, I bought the second version of 4 as well but never quite found the time for another long 3ds game.
Like I imagine a lot of people, persona (3 fes) was my entry point to it all, but personally I'm more hoping for something new in the devil survivor spin off