• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I was hugely into the mainline games until I played 4 which I didn't enjoy that much since then I stopped caring about the franchise.
Maybe 4A is good, after 4 I can't say I'm excited about the franchise.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I do, I'm used to 'Atlus time' and i'll eat whenever SMTV or any Atlus game drops

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
SMT's still one of my favorite franchises, yeah. I do kinda get the feeling Atlus wasn't all that prepared to move entirely to HD development (hence why stuff like SMTV and the next EO are taking a while to show anything concrete), so hopefully they look into porting some of their old stuff over to help with the wait.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
I do. But I'll put it this way. If altus can't deliver on smt 5, i don't care anymore about its future. Smt 4 was just okay, and Apocalypse....it was something else.

SMTIV and Apocalypse were good, but they sort of felt like budget titles and SMTIV sort of playing it safe despite having steps in the right direction (like having Alignments back, which was the one thing missing from Nocturne).

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
SMTIV and Apocalypse were good, but they sort of felt like budget titles and SMTIV sort of playing it safe despite having steps in the right direction (like having Alignments back, which was the one thing missing from Nocturne).
Personally, they felt like they were missing something. And don't get me started on Apocalypse.... The last time I think I truly enjoyed an smt type game was devil survivor overclocked. It was smt in everything but name for me.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yeah I like SMT IV a lot. I think Apocalypse was trash but it was made by different people. Assuming the IV team is on V, I still have high hopes for that.

I also miss the non-Persona spin-offs but they seem to have been a casualty of the switch to HD.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything SMT is better than Persona by some distance, especially the actual mainline titles. So yes, I still care an incredible amount.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, I do. Even in a hypothetical worst case scenario where SMTV gets cancelled or turns out to be vaporware, I would still have plenty of the series left to (re)play.

I think we just got spoiled by the (3)DS and the apparent ease to develop for them. All SMT games released last decade, both mainline and spin-offs (not counting Persona anymore), appeared on them after all.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Yeah, but I really miss PS2 era SMT. Not a huge fan of SMTIV, and I dropped Apocalypse half way through. I'm hoping for a return to form for V. It'd be nice to get new spinoffs like Raidou again too.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
of course.

I have no problem waiting. it's legit been 15 years since the last proper Paper Mario. I can wait another 15, 30, 60 years no sweat. I can do the same with SMT and that one is much better off. I'd be satisfied with an SMT title every 5 years; new entry, enhanced version, whatever.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they show SMT 5 at the Expo event thats coming up.

Throw us a bone and give us a little trailer lol.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I just want to hear anything about it. We're approaching 1000 days without a peep about SMTV

spot_smt5.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I was able to play Persona 3 - 5. Now, I'm planning to play some of the SMT games that I missed out on. Right now I'm playing SNlMT IV on Citra with HD textures and I like it so far but it's on hold right now since I'm playing the newly released P4G in Steam.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they use what the learned from SMT4:A and Persona Q to make the game play of SMT 5 better.

- Light/Dark spells being dice roll instant kill attacks is super swing-y and it just sucks. Especially in games where if the main character dies you get an automatic game over. Changing them to damage dealing spells that get a chance to 1HKO if you have smirk was a big improvement in SMT4:A

- Having a HP/SP "over-shield" in Persona Q, so you can actually use your skills and attacks instead of being a SP miser who auto attacks makes the game way funner.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I started off playing Persona 3 then 4. Then I gave SMTIV a shot, didnt like it and put it down midway.

Came back to it a few years later and fell in love. Recently went through SMTIVA and liked it too (even if it was kinda anime). Going through Strange Journey now and loving it. I think these are taking the jRPG throne for me. CAn't wait for SMTV

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
The whole shit about dethroning god put me in the mood for SMT and I've been having a blast going through Nocturne again.

I got into the series through Persona 4 and even tho I loved it and 3, Nocturne was an eye opening experience to me and is one of my favorite JRPG series. Since P5 burned me good on Persona I find myself way more curious about SMTV than any of the upcoming P5 spinoffs or P6.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
of course i do

i need to know what lucifer's up to on the next season of apocalypse: the sitcom

that being said i didnt like 4 so who knows what will happen

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i care but Atlus doesn't. I lost all hope after the first dungeon in SMTIV.

i take all the spin offs but it appears it's no longer viable to develop too many of them. It's similar to how fighting game variety died off for some leading companies.

Been replaying old SMT. Finished Nocturne some weeks ago, currently playing Persona 3. No theme park/monster circus to be seen.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't like IV at all but the fact that they're taking their sweet time with V gives me hope that it could be a return to form.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I only care about things I don't have.
I suppose that should lead me to review some things in my life but as far as SMT is concerned the answer is a resounding YES.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my favourite series. I much prefer it over anything Persona. So yes.

I just worry about the future of the franchise. Especially after 4A.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
???

Devil Survivor is SMT. what kinda question is this

Sorry, I thought DS was different from mainline SMT. Looking forward to 5 if that's the case.

Main SMT is a darker in tone and more focused on dungeon crawling. Also you really have to take full advantage of the fusion system otherwise you're fucked.

Thanks. Will have to get used to its systems then. I'm a bit mixed on dungeon crawling, but I guess it depends on how it is implemented.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I thought DS was different from mainline SMT. Looking forward to 5 if that's the case.

Thanks. Will have to get used to its systems then. I'm a bit mixed on dungeon crawling, but I guess it depends on how it is implemented.

Devil Survivor is a turn based strategy game, not a dungeon crawler. It's a great intro to the franchise since while it's crushingly difficult it's also really good at explaining things and smoothing out the mechanics.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020

Devil Survivor is. Atlus USA just added the SMT branding to all related games. A decision I think was a bad idea for reasons like this.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I never really got into them despite owning IV, Soul Hackers, and Devil Survivor on the 3DS.

I would definitely give V on the Switch a fair shot when it comes out.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
we're really hitting the despair part of weiss's character arc

i'll buy whatever SMT game they release at this point

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
I care more about SMT than Persona after they released 3 and started milking the spinoff series. SMT at its core is the best the series has to offer and it'd be a fucking tragedy if it went away.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Interested in SMTV. Would be nice if they ported the translated iOS version of SMT to Nintendo Switch.

Oct 25, 2017

It is different, it can be confusing because of the NA branding but basically

The several series overall are referred to as Megami Tensei or MegaTen

SMT is mainline (1, 2, 3 aka Nocturne, Strange Journey, 4, 4A, and 5)
and then there are the spin off series

Persona
Devil Survivor
Digital Devil Saga
Devil Summoner

and so on

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
SMT is one of the best series.... I prefer it to Persona.

SMTV is probably not that far off... and in the grand scheme of things (i.e. considering the series' overall duration) it hasn't even been long since SMTIVA.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we're really hitting the despair part of weiss's character arc

i'll buy whatever SMT game they release at this point

I guess it's like, I want SMT to prosper on its own merits. It shouldn't exist as a chicken bone thrown to the hardcores between deluges of Persona.