• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just something that's been simmering in my brain for a bit. SMT is my favourite game series out there, a top tier output of RPG greatness, but it's getting hard to still hold onto it when new game releases seem to have gotten kinda barren.

Like, the last SMT game released was the Strange Journey remake, over two and a half years ago. The entire last gen saw one brand new SMT title in Shin Megami Tensei IV and a slew of ports and updated re-releases. Devil Survivor got two great games followed by two ports. Devil Summoner's totally dead. It's like the only thing worth looking forward to are the mainline titles which take year long gaps in between releases, and that's just one facet of the series. What happened to the weird and interesting spinoffs like Strange Journey, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor?

IDK I'm writing this in A Mood. I'll probably get hyped when the planets align and Atlus finally releases a trailer for SMTV and we can see what the game is actually going to be like.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Yes. It's a shame we're lacking some of those spinoffs and SMTV is taking a long ass time, but that's Atlus. It'll still be a good game when it releases.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've been interested in SMTV since they announced it and I'm frustrated that there's no updates. My only serious experience with the series is Strange Journey and Devil Survivor but I like what I played

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i do, its just atlus putting tons of resources into persona that bothers me.
theres no reason why they cant throw smt fans a bone sometimes.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still care but after SMT4 I'm not letting myself get excited for SMTV until they show something real from it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I never played it, but want to.

They should release a collection with all 80 games and spin offs.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019

I'm really hoping we get some SMT V news on the 23rd, but it'll probably just be P5 Scramble (if we're lucky and it's not just them reiterating 13 Sentinels/P4G/Catherine Full Body info that we already know about)...

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Less than I used to. Little to no faith in Atlus at this point to actually deliver projects, even if when they eventually do the game tends to be decent. Though this opinion of mine faltered a bit after Persona 5; quality of life aside, the writing for Persona has been threading the same water for three entries now and bodes poorly for the future.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
...yeah? They could never make another SMT game ever again and I would still care about the series. Several of the games that already exist are among my favorites of all time, that's not going to go away just because SMT5 is in dev hell.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I honestly have no idea what to expect from the franchise at this point.

Part of me thinks that because Persona has totally shed all of its SMT branding, they'll push SMT back in the direction of SMT IV than Apocalypse... but I have absolutely no faith in Atlus at this point.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse was the strongest game in the entire Megami Tensei franchise in terms of core gameplay so yes I still care. If they can dial back the annoying tropes present in Apocalypse for SMTV then we will be almost guaranteed to have an all-timer on our hands.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I mean, I'm in the middle of Digital Devil Saga 2 right now, so yes. Do I expect Atlus to come out with SMT games of a similar quality anytime in the foreseeable future? No.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I do, but I'll probably have a new Xenoblade to play in the interim, so it's not all bad.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Yes Atlus needs to quit fucking around and port Nocturne and both DDS games goddammit

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started playing Nocturne after having owned it for a decade now. Persona was a good introduction, but I'm enjoying the aesthetics and tone a lot more here. I finally understand the Matador memes, too. (I wasn't expecting the soundtrack to slap so hard, either.)

I'm all aboard the SMT train. I have Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 and Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army still wrapped in plastic to get to after...

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nocturne is one of the best games ever made, so I always will. As somebody who was introduced to Persona thru SMT, I'm a bit upset that the SMT IP hasn't been treated as properly. Very much looking forward to SMTV on Switch but it's been like 3 years and we've heard absolutely nothing.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, its a great series. They'll get to it eventually. Lucky for me I play games slow enough that they can take their time. Everybody can lol.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't worry about having to wait several years between main entries, honestly I prefer that rather than having yearly or bi-yearly entries.

However SMT had many more games, not just the main ones, and since several years ago we haven't had more games on the spinoff, either new, ports or remasters, to keep us going.

That is a shame and what hurts me more in regards to this franchise.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
After the story direction of Apocalypse and the new content of SJ Redux? Cautiously optimistic about the series' future at the best, but only on a good day.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I'm pretty sure the reason why there's nothing on SMTV is because Atlus suspended development to work on a Nocturne remake.
Which is good because Nocturne is a masterpiece and has a lot of potential in introducing new audience to the series.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Atlus will reconfigure how to make HD games in a more timely matter one of these years.
(I mean we have to hear something about one of SMT V/Etrian Odyssey/Project Re Fantasy this year right?)

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Absolutely. SMTV is still one of my most anticipated Switch games. I just hope it'll be worth the wait.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yes. I just started Tokyo Mirage Sessions as the Switch port came out this year. So Megaten isn't completely dead.

Would be nice for Atlus to talk about their announced projects we've heard literally nothing about since they were revealed. Project Re Fantasy, the next Etrian Odyssey and SMTV.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
As someone who recently played Persona 4 and 5 for the first time and became utterly obsessed, I care. I've heard and read about SMT for decades and I'd love to finally experience it.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I like Shin Megami Tensei. I'd like it if they would show something that looks like... idk, a real game

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I care more about the mainline than I do all the Persona stuff.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
No idea, but I'll be giving 4 a try in the next week so we'll see how I like the series, closest thing I've played is tms#fee

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Just something that's been simmering in my brain for a bit. SMT is my favourite game series out there, a top tier output of RPG greatness, but it's getting hard to still hold onto it when new game releases seem to have gotten kinda barren.

Like, the last SMT game released was the Strange Journey remake, over two and a half years ago. The entire last gen saw one brand new SMT title in Shin Megami Tensei IV and a slew of ports and updated re-releases. Devil Survivor got two great games followed by two ports. Devil Summoner's totally dead. It's like the only thing worth looking forward to are the mainline titles which take year long gaps in between releases, and that's just one facet of the series. What happened to the weird and interesting spinoffs like Strange Journey, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor?

IDK I'm writing this in A Mood. I'll probably get hyped when the planets align and Atlus finally releases a trailer for SMTV and we can see what the game is actually going to be like.

I know a lot of people don't like it, but SMT4: A is considered a new, mainline game, so there were two actually even if one of them wasn't traditional. Which is still not many, but better than 1 at least!

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Never played any of the series, teaser was interesting. But, at this point, I think I don't really care.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Yes of course I do. Why would I stop caring just because games take longer to come out? If anything that just makes me want a new game even more.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
I hope SMTV doesn't turn into vaporware, it's been three years and we have heard nothing. Now granted, Persona 5 kept being delayed several times before being released, so it's not something so out of the ordinary for Atlus.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I do. But I'll put it this way. If altus can't deliver on smt 5, i don't care anymore about its future. Smt 4 was just okay, and Apocalypse....it was something else.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I need to play Shin Megami Tensei If one of these days, especially since I enjoyed II so much.

And Shin Megami Tensei V (alongside Rune Factory V and Smash) are the reasons I got a Switch.