• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which home video format do you buy the most of?

• DVD

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • BluRay

Votes: 165 55.4%
  • Digital download (any platform)

Votes: 36 12.1%
  • I don't buy home video anymore, I stream everything

Votes: 73 24.5%
  • The last film I bought was Thor II: The Dark World

Votes: 11 3.7%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
As, just the DVD, not those combo pack things with Bluray?

I'd like to 'gauge' a bit of DVD mind share in 2020. I know a lot of films have not seen a Bluray / digital release, and that's why a lot of people still buy them.

Edit: F'd up one of the poll options, should say 'I don't buy anymore, I stream everything'.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blu Ray or bust ! ! !

Except I bought an OK KO! Let's Be Heroes DVD to support the show.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
4K Blu Ray for me for anything I deem collection worthy. They all come with digital copies anyway so I can stream them if I REALLY want to watch them somewhere where I don't have access to the disc.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
If you are into film collecting DVD is still a thing because too many movies are still not available on any HD source, or they take damn too much time to publish it... can you imagine fucking Night of Cabiria was just released on Blu Ray in 2019?

Damn, there are some cool films that are still only available on VHS or Laserdisc so... but I guess this is hardcore stuff.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I buy blu-ray, but I still know of a lot of people buying DVDs, because the vast majority in my experience don't care too much about resolution.
A lot of those people kinda just watch Netflix now. DVD > Netflix, skipping Blu-Ray entirely.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I don't buy anything. I do rent the occasional movie when I have earned enough Google play credits.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I've been focusing more on UHD Blu-rays. DVDs, outside of a few TV series that I know will never be released on any other format, are not on my radar in the slightest.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I stopped with DVDs the moment Bluray came out and have not and will never go back, I also adopted 4K bluray very early on but have no problem still watching regular Blurays.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you are into film collecting DVD is still a thing because too many movies are still not available on any HD source, or they take damn too much time to publish it... can you imagine fucking Night of Cabiria was just released on Blu Ray in 2019?

Damn, there are some cool films that are still only available on VHS or Laserdisc so... but I guess this is hardcore stuff.

I feel bad for my mom. There is a 70's Vietnam war film Don't Cry It's Only Thunder that was never released in America on DVD. She loves that film, but can't watch it unless she unpacks the VHS player

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for my mom. There is a 70's Vietnam war film Don't Cry It's Only Thunder that was never released in America on DVD. She loves that film, but can't watch it unless she unpacks the VHS player

There are too many films that probably will never be released on Blu Ray because the format is a property of Sony, so in order to publish a film they need to pay a fee to Sony (for every copy manufactured) and some small film publishers don't want to. It is pretty much common than most people think.

Also there are some examples of HD releases that fucking sucks and the DVD is still better. Allegro non troppo was finally released on Blu Ray on december and it looks like shit.
The Blu Ray is presented in the wrong aspect ratio which crops edges of the picture and is not frame accurate with the DVD release so in order the sync the DVD audio, cuts/re-encoding was required... it is really that bad.

I and I love that movie, mostly because of this.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Blu ray or 4K blu ray if available. I bought Brooklyn Nine-Nine on DVD because that's all it's available on (fuck whoever made that decision, it's dumb and I hate you). I recently bought a couple of digital titles on Amazon too, because it was cheaper than physical and was thus less of a risk if I didn't like the film. I know you can sell physical titles, but they were a couple of niche horror movies, and they could've been a pain in the ass to sell.

In short, I prefer physical discs over relying on digital, but will stream and buy digital titles too if the price is right. Physical media rules.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
let Blu-ray's I bought were this Black Friday.
iTunes digital has sales every week and I but maybe a movie every 2 weeks

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
4K discs for movies I really like, and box sets for some TV shows since they always come and go from streaming services.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Blu-ray and UHD discs for almost all movies. I'll buy digital if it's the only way to get HD versions of it (I'm looking at you, A Very Long Engagement), but otherwise physical for life. I do redeem all of my digital copies, and lend my Vudu/MA credentials to friends and family as a convenient way to let people take advantage of my collection.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I used to buy just for the digital HD copies, but no longer buy anything. There is so much streaming content that I can't keep up with, I can't justify buying anything anymore.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy a lot of movies or TV shows, but if I do, it's Blu Ray or UHD. Haven't bought a DVD in years.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blu-ray never surpassed DVD in market share.
DVD currently has a 58% share of the physical media market.
Bizarre but true.

There are too many films that probably will never be released on Blu Ray because the format is a property of Sony, so in order to publish a film they need to pay a fee to Sony (for every copy manufactured) and some small film publishers don't want to. It is pretty much common than most people think.

Sony doesn't own Blu-ray and never did.
The fee to register as a publisher on Blu-ray is $2,500 for five years of unlimited releases.
Blu-ray association royalties are 9.75 cents per unit for movies.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes on blu ray / 4K, but very rarely. Like only long running series that I have all the others in (like star wars or mission impossible)

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
4K Blu-ray if perfect quality is essential like for Endgame, digital if I just want to watch the movie a couple weeks early.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
need an option for "stream everything and then bitch about things not being on the service i subscribe to."

as in "Oh no, how will I possibly watch Star Wars/ Avengers/Friends/ The Office, etc when it's not on Netflix?"

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Sure, I'll still buy a DVD. Most of the movies I buy are in Blu-ray format, and sometimes I'll spend the extra cash for the 4K version on movies to get the best video/audio quality possible; but other times, I'll get the DVD if it's a non-prestige TV show, an impulse buy at a cheap price, or the other options just aren't available. Take Jim Cameron's 'The Abyss', for example; that movie's still not out on Blu-ray, but you can find a DVD copy in the bargain bins for less than five bucks.

Disclaimer: I have never used a streaming media service. I do have an Amazon Prime account, but haven't used it to watch anything yet.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda gave up when open matte and extended editions started getting digital only releases.

I will still buy physical in cases where it's the easiest/only way to get something though.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I buy Blu-rays but only if it comes with a digital copy.
I also try not to buy movies I know will go to a streaming service I subscribe to

(say Disney/Marvel and Disney+ or WB and HBOmax)

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All of my latest purchases have been 4k disc, even though I don't have a player. It makes no sense to buy the blu-ray when the 4k comes with it and is basically like 2-3 bucks more for future-proofing.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I still buy DVD occasionally because I know I'm never gonna watch it anyway so I may as well go for the cheaper option.