• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will it live up to the original?

• Yes, it's going to be amazing!

Votes: 271 19.8%
  • Probably not.

Votes: 1,099 80.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
If it somehow ends up as the entirety of Final Fantasy VII re-told using the combat from Crisis Core, I'll be over that. Unfortunately it won't, but as long as the Golden Saucer and all of the mini-games are recreated in glorious HD, I'll be happy (they won't be, will they).

Crisis Core was SUCH a good game, and i'd be completely fine with them taking that gameplay and inserting it into FF7R.
Was replaying it lately and it still holds up very well.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Hard to say. Many of the things that made it so big, are hard to replicate. I always saw FF7 as the first AAA game, with how it flexed with its development and marketing budget. It also showed a large aesthetic shift in the franchise, after so many entries that were more fantasy with steampunk elements.

I'm not really sure who this will be for either. I think even the people who haven't played it, already know about its big story moments. That'll rob those moments of their impact.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its premise of being a reimagining that barely resembles the original in anything but surface stuff? Absolutely.

Actually being a good game though? I don't know. Not very optimistic considering the person behind it but alas.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nope but I'm sure I can bathe in the waves of nostalgia for a couple dozen hours while trying to ignore the (likely to be terrible) dialogue and writing.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it will be good game. Will it live up for everyones expectations? Of course not because they are unreasonable.

I hope it will be something like RE2 did, same but still different.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it will be good game. Will it live up for everyones expectations? Of course not because they are unreasonable.

I hope it will be something like RE2 did, same but still different.

Personally for me, i'd wish the gameplay on the remake was just very fun to play and far away from what was the gameplay on XV.
But from the looks of the first gameplay trailer, and without ill speaking KH3 (cause i do like it) it looks like it will follow a close pattern.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
No chance in hell

I'm not sure that it's even ever going to be released, but, if it does, it's not going to touch the original. The fact that they're moving away from ATB already guarantees that.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
What premise are we talking about here? "Let's capture the spirit of this classic game?" Then no, I really don't think so. Good or bad, FF7R is going to be nothing like the original and we probably shouldn't even regard it as such. Seems like a complete re-imagining rather than a remake.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a modern Square-Enix game. Of course not.

It'll probably still be enjoyable in its own right.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm optimistic that on its own FF7r will be a good and very fun game, and I think there's a high chance I'll enjoy it. I bet new fans will love it.
However, I could not imagine it ever living up to the original. It will inevitably cut or change something that fans of the game won't like, or it won't capture the feeling of a scene properly and leave ppl wishing it had been done differently. There are so many things that could go wrong, and it's such a beloved game that it's basically impossible for it to ever live up to the vision of the game in any original fan's head.

On that front I am absolutely keeping my expectations low. I'm just hoping enough about the remakes are enjoyable to weigh out all the complaints I'll inevitably have lol.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hating the remake will show that you are a True Gamer (tm) that remembers the time when Good Games were made.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The main problem, I think, is that the extracurricular compilation material shows that latter-day Square doesn't actually really understand how to use or deploy the best themes of FF7. The compilation gets the flash and style right but the substance almost always misses the point of the original delivery and arcs.

The other problem is that FF7 is a weird, eclectic game, something it got away with both because of the era and because of its two unique art styles. There's stuff which will appear way more horrid and grim portrayed in a photoreal style and stuff that'll just seem silly af. Stuff will have to change significantly to make it all feel cohesive in a modern design, and obviously changes risk upsetting fans. Being different is fine, obviously, but at a point it becomes a clash of the two ideas - where elements of the original game that must be respected risk compromising the new stuff and the new stuff compromises the classic stuff. Cross-contamination.

Whereas the mission set out before RE2 was relatively simple - RE2 is a project with a pretty simple tone and style - FF7 is loads more complex. In this sense I think while fans are focused on the scale of the game and the being split into multiple parts thing, the scope of the project, actually nailing the tone and feel and not ending up feeling like a caricature of the original (something RE2 remake nailed) is actually imo the biggest challenge for the project.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
i'm curious, what would you personally expect out of it? Or what would make you like it?

A lot of simple things, like remixed music or even new music would be great (I only like the battle themes in FF7) Graphics will look great for sure and regarding the gameplay, I would love it if it's more action oriented.

I hope they do changes to the story as well.. change the focus of the game, more Jenova, more Vincent and Yuffie, integrate crisis core naturally, have the cast do more and also give em good closures, less Sephiroth, etc.

Dunno how it will fare out but I just like Nomura games and I trust he'll make something good out of this remake

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone could play FFXV and think, "Yeah, they're gonna knock FFVIIR out of the park!"

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it'll live up to the original, but it'll be fun. And, if Uematsu is still composing then I'm sure at least the soundtrack will be amazing.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
Have I been spelling promise wrong this entire time? Lol :)

And no, I don't think so. It's taking way to long

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
It will be The the Game of the Forever; Squex has my confidence and faith to make it amazing beyond imagination.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Also weekly reminder to "FFXIV exists lol" crowd that FFXIV is a MMO and not every people who plays single-player games are into MMO.
Sure, but the regular "modern SE can't make good games lol" chorus is ridiculous and disingenuous. They've been putting out good and great games every year since Your Faves came out in Year Two Thousand Whatever. People just have a very narrow and specific definition of what counts as a SE game. Not AAA? Doesn't count. Not developed in Japan? Doesn't count. Not on my platform of choice? Doesn't count. Not a genre I like? Doesn't count. Not a series I care about? Doesn't count. And now that I've eliminated everything except FFXIII, XV, and KH3, I can safely say that modern SE sucks.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah its going to be Final Fantasy XIII with the combat system of Kingdom Hearts 2 / Final Fantasy XV. Linear as shit with terrible voice acting and script. But it'll have enough story beats to carry even the most jaded FF7 fan's hopes and dreams until the second disc.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
No. I don't have faith in SE anymore. Their latest big JRPG didn't even live up to the vanilla version of it's predecessor.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I never did.
I just hope they don't fuck it up too much.

There are so many memorable moments in that game that worked because of the crudeness of the graphics, which left most of the work to your imagination.
If they pull this off somehow, it would be an amazing achievement.

The photo realism of the graphics will make many moments seem completely silly and jarring. And if they rework the story to make them fit... Well, we know how that usually turns out, from their recent efforts...

Also, that's probably why FFIX would be a better candidate for a remake. Don't touch the story, keep the cartoon look, streamline the gameplay and you have a great fantasy story right there.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Zero confidence tbh. It's gonna be far removed from the original. It's gonna be its own thing, which is fine, but not what people really want from a FFVII Remake I think. Also I think Tetsuya Nomura is a hack and I don't think I've ever liked anything he's been involved in outside of character design (which are also very hit and miss).

The only way you could do the original justice is make the environments 3D, faster battles an a new localization/translation. That's it, keep everything else as it was, including overworld etc. Maybe include some new minigames in the Golden Saucer and obviously make them actually play decently, but that's really it. Don't make it into something it never was like they seem to be doing.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Modern SE cant deliver a solid 90+ game so i say no. I'd like to be wrong but i have no faith in SE.

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
After playing kingdom hearts 3 I'm not worried about gameplay but story wise I'm really worried.
Just thinking about making the game into 3 chapters is confusing.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't think it's realistic to believe it could live up to the hype, honestly it's whether or not it's good and whether or not it upsets a segment of the fan base. I'd like to hope Square Enix wouldn't release a subpar remake of their most popular game of all time, but I also don't know how close they are capable of getting to maxing out the potential. My guess is about 70% (of potential).

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it'll have everything people have hoped for, but I sure as heck think Nomura will make a fun ARPG that uses the original as a base and that's totally fine by me when the original still exists and isn't going anywhere.
If it somehow ends up as the entirety of Final Fantasy VII re-told using the combat from Crisis Core, I'll be over that. Unfortunately it won't, but as long as the Golden Saucer and all of the mini-games are recreated in glorious HD, I'll be happy (they won't be, will they).
Apparently the Kingdom Hearts 2 Lead Battle Planner (who also worked on Dissidia and 012) was working on the game in 2017, so if he's still involved in the combat I think we might be in for a treat.

It's certainly my most anticipated thing about the game.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's becoming a meme at this point, but the only way I can see it being any good is if it actually releases in like 2022 where I know they had the time to dedicate to it after keeping it on the back burner while KH3 was made.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the hype seems to be how much it will suck. So yeah? I expect it will live up to that?

Can it be a good game? Seems pretty unlikely but sure, KH3 was fun enough and... I don't know, maybe they'll at least finish the game this time.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I chose 'no it won't,' but with an important note that I think it will still be a fun, good game anyway. I rarely give a shit if things live up to the 'hype' anymore.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Apparently the Kingdom Hearts 2 Lead Battle Planner (who also worked on Dissidia and 012) was working on the game in 2017, so if he's still involved in the combat I think we might be in for a treat.

It's certainly my most anticipated thing about the game.

Oh man I had no idea. I remember being so surprised how fulfilling the combat was in Dissidia when I first picked it up.

Hype levels rising.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it will be good, but I fear it won't live up to the original. It looks great when you see a few scenes from Midgar, but transcribing the game in its entirety with modern graphics and gameplay can't turn out as well as people hope IMO.

And it definitely won't live up to the hype and fan expectations, because no game could ever possibly do that.