• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it live up to the original?

• Yes, it's going to be amazing!

Votes: 271 19.8%
  • Probably not.

Votes: 1,099 80.2%

• Total voters

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
With the track record of Tetsuya Nomura and the state of current video game remakes, we surely could believe that FF7 Remake could probably not live up to the greatness of the original, and with a game like Kingdom hearts 3 and the long wait fans had to endure, i've seen a lot of mixed reception for a game that had incredible hype in the last years and recent months.

So how about it ERA? Do you believe FF7 Remake will truly deliver to the hype or no?
Will it be the remake of remakes?

fial-fantasy-vii-remake.jpg

funo

Oct 27, 2017
How could it possibly live up to all this hype?
I mean, I sure hope it does, but this game is many people's GOAT so the expectations are endless.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes. Don't know how long it will take to get here but I believe it will be very good when it does.

There will still be a vocal minority that will hate it no matter what though

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I think it'll be alright and likely worthwhile for me. I imagine it'll be far more of a re-imagining and something I can enjoy quite separate from the original.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
With the track record of Tetsuya Nomura, one of the best directors at Square Enix who just released GOTY contender Kingdom Hearts 3? Yeah. I believe it.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I have a feeling a lot of people will be disappointed because it isn't a 1:1 remake of the original. Too many people want the exact same game they got 22 years ago, but with pretty graphics.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to cut out everything people like about the original and add the things people hate about the spinoffs. It's almost guaranteed to not live up to the hype.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You're assuming that it will actually see a release, and that's a pretty big assumption if you ask me.

But if it does? No, not a chance.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
We don't even know how the game would look like after Cyberconnect2 parted ways with the development, right? The haven't released a single trailer after that.

I actually hope that they'd lessen their ambition for a bit to ease off the development process. The scope of that initial trailer was too grand for the team.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
The key is keeping your expectations realistic. I think it's going to be a great way to reexperience this classic game. I don't expect it to be the best game ever made like some people do about every unreleased title they are interested in.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Probably not. But I'll just take it for what it is. Likely a very different game, but still with fun characters and a world I'd love to return to.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Couldn't vote in the poll, because on one hand yes it will live up to the original, but on the other hand it won't be amazing.

I'm sure it'll be solid though.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I was never down with this remake. My expectations are so negative that I probably will be surprised that it's not as terrible as I expected.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
With the old footage of both Cloud and Barret being able to controlled in combat, that was only my biggest concern with the shift from a traditional ATB combat FF title to this new action RPG stuff. The old footage seemed heading the direction to allow that full party combat... until it was apparently scraped(?)

Almost every main FF game that emphasized on action based combat came at the significant loss of full party control. One of my more favorite parts of FF7 was being able to swap out your team with different characters and customize who to have in your party.

I don't think FF7:R will have the same impact if you are simply controlling Cloud 95% of the time of the game which largely ignores the rest of the cast out of the equation for combat decisions. In fact I think even the point when Cloud is incapacitated when he falls into the lifestream and doesn't rejoin until after the point in Mideel will be largely adjusted to account for combat mechanics.

Suffice to say there aren't many action rpg combat systems that properly handle managing a group of combatants at the same time. While Nomura has go on to state they will retain the core aspects that maintain FF7 was it was. I think taking parts of KH or FF Vs. XIII isn't really the best way to go about this and they should really let FFVII:R be its own thing with a strong foundation based on the original.

Something the along the lines of how Capcom remade Resident Evil 2 would be the most ideal way to handle it but they are probably too far into development to realize this and head in that direction.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Well, is one of that thing that some people desperately want to fail, so let's see.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
No chance, especially as people want such different things from it.

I for one wanted it to stay classic turn based, but that was never going to happen with the action rpg boner they have at square-enix these days.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
The better question is if the FFVII remake will manage to survive Square Enix's management issues.

Because, given the history of Square Enix, and their dreadful project management, I would say it's highly unlikely.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
XV PTSD keeping my hype in check, but I trust Nomura to deliver a stellar product with hype moments.

It all comes back to the combat. The more the combat is like KH, the better.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
For most people, probably not. For someone who never bothered to play the original, I can't wait to see what all the fuzz is about in glorious 4k.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It's going to cut out everything people like about the original and add the things people hate about the spinoffs. It's almost guaranteed to not live up to the hype.

The thing is Square will probably take fan reactions the wrong way and learn the wrong lesson from it. I want to be hopeful but Square made precarious decision they put themselves into. They ride on a lot of expectations of many folks and with the 2015 E3 announcement.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
With the old footage of both Cloud and Barret being able to controlled in combat, that was only my biggest concern with the shift from a traditional ATB combat FF title to this new action RPG stuff. The old footage seemed heading the direction to allow that full party combat... until it was apparently scraped(?)

Almost every main FF game that emphasized on action based combat came at the significant loss of full party control. One of my more favorite parts of FF7 was being able to swap out your team with different characters and customize who to have in your party.

I don't think FF7:R will have the same impact if you are simply controlling Cloud 95% of the time of the game which largely ignores the rest of the cast out of the equation for combat decisions. In fact I think even the point when Cloud is incapacitated when he falls into the lifestream and doesn't rejoin until after the point in Mideel will be largely adjusted to account for combat mechanics.

Suffice to say there aren't many action rpg combat systems that properly handle managing a group of combatants at the same time. While Nomura has go on to state they will retain the core aspects that maintain FF7 was it was. I think taking parts of KH or FF Vs. XIII isn't really the best way to go about this and they should really let FFVII:R be its own thing with a strong foundation based on the original.

Something the along the lines of how Capcom remade Resident Evil 2 would be the most ideal way to handle it but they are probably too far into development to realize this and head in that direction.

OMG i completely agree, they should do a combat system that's completely unique to FF7R and not the FFXV/KH3 Hybrid that we saw in that gameplay trailer, cause right there, it's taking a loss on the gameplay side of it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i first played final fantasy vii in 2002. this was five years after launch, and by then it was an old game. a really old game. i'd played terranigma, final fantasy x, skies of arcadia, grandia ii, and other story-driven rpgs at that point. it never had the impact as a next-gen game (that would be mario 64 and ocarina of time), or a game with a great story or cinematics. outside of the people who first played it and loved it 22 years ago, i don't know who it appeals to. at least super mario 64's level design holds up and ocarina of time's pacing is as solid as ever. and to be fair, i think most games from that era, especially 3d games that were trying to be cutting-edge, have aged poorly. banjo-kazooie for instance, a game i loved, was disappointing to play again on xbox 360 to find it was nothing more than a glorified minigame compilation.

final fantasy vii is more important in what it represented. it was the first big-budget game to really establish what playstation would be. the full-motion video, orchestrated music, and several discs worth of game made it feel like an enormous production that would be impossible anywhere else. you won't get that out of a remake. a remake is just going to be a retelling of a (to put it politely) long story, with a new battle system, and now spanning several releases.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
No chance, I have zero faith they'll pull it off. FF15 was a mess.

zektbach

Oct 28, 2017
If it somehow ends up as the entirety of Final Fantasy VII re-told using the combat from Crisis Core, I'll be over that. Unfortunately it won't, but as long as the Golden Saucer and all of the mini-games are recreated in glorious HD, I'll be happy (they won't be, will they).

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be great, but a lot of people will have issues with it. Especially the old fans.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely no.

It might end up being good, but not nostalgia pleasing FFVII good, which is what people want

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, although I'd love to be surprised. At least on my part though, that isn't a comment on video game remakes in general like the OP mentions, I think there's been some pretty great remakes over the last few years.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I don't think people will like the changes in the combat system and what they will do of the Materia's spheres.

Also, FFXV's action was not so good to put faith they will create a fun and interesting combat system for FFVII

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, i don't necessarily believe Nomura has the best track record as a Director of video games.
In my honest opinion he struck gold with Kingdom Hearts 2, amazing game, but he hasn't replicated that in any other subsequent KH game.
I think his designs are great, i like them, which is what he has dedicated the most on his career, but Director? not the best one.

I've actually liked Hajime Tabata games WAY more.