• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you slow walk in video games?

• Yes

Votes: 52 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 50 10.2%
  • Sometimes...depends on my mood

Votes: 258 52.5%
  • Gotta go fast

Votes: 131 26.7%

• Total voters

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's not something I do often. I'm that guy who runs everywhere, jumps around on the way and messes with the camera just for the hell of it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't got no time to waste. But seriously this is entirely too contextual. Some areas will overwhelm you with stuff to make sense of, like walking into a new town for example, and then yeah sure I'll walk slowly to get accustomed. But otherwise fuck this I got places to be. I never walk as slow as they do in trailers, especially in the places that they do.

Is it frustrating for devs when they see players sprinting through everything as quickly as possible?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes I do. Can't deny I do feel slightly badass in Ghost of Tsushima slowly walking towards a group of enemies, stopping and then swiping right to unsheath my sword as they get near!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is it frustrating for devs when they see players sprinting through everything as quickly as possible?

I mean, I can't speak for all of them. I'm not, but then again I work in tools, middlewares, etc. Maybe if I spent months/years pouring my heart into crafting levels with the intent that players will take their time to admire every nook and cranny it would be a different story. You know some will anyway. You can't please everyone and everyone plays games differently. Then again my opinion is that if what you created is interesting enough, most players will just naturally take the time to admire it. I'm not sure about how the story designers from Horizon Zero Dawn felt that I couldn't be bothered to endure their endless snore-inducing hologram chatters and skipped them whenever I could. Maybe if they had made them interesting, I would have bothered... And there's all sorts of devs. Some care, some care less. Some have massive egos, some don't. True dev story: I once saw a level designer brushing off the fact that he was being sloppy in crafting one of the final levels of a game, saying "Bah, our stats show that only about 20% of players typically make it to the last level anyway, so who cares?" Despite what Era would have you believe, there is such a thing as lazy devs.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I walk sometimes when I'm looking at the landscape or something. I usually jog everywhere and avoid sprinting, though.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Oh yeah, I play slow. New environment - slow down and take it all in. Crazyyyy combos, ending in a brutal finisher - slow walk towards the camera and let the swag come through the screen. I love it!

I'm the type of person that can turn a 10 hour game into a 25 hour game lol.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Skip all cutscenes, cut every corner, roll, jump, dash and run at every opportunity.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
in most AAA games i'll do the slow walk for a bit to take in the environment from time to time. ...but if the game takes 20 hours to play the slow walk makes up like 20 minutes total split over 20 moments of environmental admiration. the rest of the time i'm just trying to get where i'm going as fast as possible.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. I usually walk when it feels appropriate. The Last of Us II for example, I only sprint when I'm running away from enemies and walked everywhere else. I checked out some Lets Play's on YouTube and it seems like every sprinted all the time, though.

Just played through RE2 (PS4) and did the same thing. First time through an area I'd walk around unless I'm getting chased or need to avoid an enemy. I'd also use the sprint if I was backtracking for items.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes, but only IF the walking speed isn't ridiculously slow as it usually is.

I always walk fast in real life, i don't want to walk slow in any situation, games included.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
The only game I constantly slow walked around in was RDR2, just felt so natural to mosey around whenever I was in a town.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game, the proportions/details of environments in said game, whether I'm inside/outside a village/town/city, and the context. The following games are ones the worlds of which I find immersive and meaningful to move through.

In games like Red Dead 2:

I'll walk (trot, if on a horse) whenever I'm in a town, even if I've been there a bunch. because those environments are highly detailed both in terms of visual details, and because there's a lot of geometry I could get caught on/trip over. Same with the NPCs that I could bump into and potentially hurt/start a fight with by carelessly running into them. The proportions of those towns/cities don't make walking feel boring because I'm seeing about as much per second as I would in real life, and any points of interest are a reasonable walking-distance away at any given moment. The default move speed is also a walk, so I can comfortably just hold the joystick forward while walking, rather than holding it halfway for long periods (e.g. Super Mario 64).

Outside of cities/towns, I'm more likely to jog if I'm trying to get somewhere or just moving point-to-point, but there's often enough reason to want to walk for me to do so (easier to notice/avoid alerting dangerous wildlife/NPCs, coming across points of interest, etc.).

In games like BotW:

I rarely walk because the holding the joystick all the way forward breaks into a jog. Even with counting that jog as "walking," what often makes this particular game world engaging is traversal—climbing/gliding and managing stamina. The towns are relatively small and less detailed, with little dangers related to just barging through them. Generally, the only movement that requires consideration and thought is when climbing up cliff faces, getting across rivers, gliding over ravines, etc. I'm usually only moving slowly when thinking about how to move forward. The massive size of the map, even relative to the player movement abilities, makes it reasonable to move quickly most of the time.

The sense of travel isn't minimised by going as fast as possible because of the world's scale, the amount of points of interest in that map, and all the considerations that must be taken when moving through it.

In both of the above, I found myself occasionally just admiring the environments, though for different reasons in each.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I do it frequentely when i play beautiful immersive games where the walking animation is badass.
It makes me appreciate the atmosphere a lot. No hurry to run anywhere.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Give me a cool area and some good music and yeah I'll admire it for a bit. Else full speed ahead, baby.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I gotta go fast. Run around staring at tables/corners, smashing the loot/pickup button, run into the door while the opening animation plays and barely squeeze through an opening smaller than my actual player.

Run circles around the boss during it's death animation because IT TAKES SO LONG.

I got other stuff to play folks, I'm tryin to beat games here.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'll do that all the time, depending on the type of game. I feel like it contributes to the atmosphere and reality of the game world, and feels more like I'm role-playing the character. It's probably why I wasn't bothered by the slow pace in something like RDR 2—I have no trouble going at that speed.

Honestly, kind of annoys me to play certain types of games with friends that just do everything as fast as possible, sprint at all times, etc. Though I'll grant I'm probably the weird one in this regard.