• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need a relatively loud box fan. I even have it in in the most freezing cold nights of winter, just pointed away from me.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wear earplugs if it's noisy when I'm trying to sleep.

Total silence and total darkness are necessary for me.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Since moving in with loud roommates I've had to use ear plugs every single night :(

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have rain on my Sonos on a loop all night. I'm a very poor sleeper and struggle without it.

If I need to wake up really early to catch a flight or that my alarm will just be the rain stopping which wakes me up instantly.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Fan or fans. I need that hotel AC turning on fan noise to sleep like a baby. If not, I won't be able to fall asleep and instead be on my phone past midnight like I am doing right now :(

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Add me to the fan on all night, every day of the year list. Right on my bedside table next to my head, just point it away in winter. I make sure I take a fan in the car whenever we go on holiday just in case the hotel doesn't have AC / a fan in the room.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter to me, I can sleep in most any sound situation. I'm surprised by how many need it one way or the other.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really need a fan to keep the air moving, except in winter where I can crack a window open to keep cool.

I used to sleep with the TV on and leave it on one of those channels that plays music. I lived in a big city, so noise and even lights don't bother me.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
I have pretty horrible tinnitus that is deafening if it's silent at night. I use an app to play a mixture of white noise, brown noise (doesn't make you shit your pants ) and rainfall. It's gooood.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I need backgroud noise to allow me to get to sleep, so for that purpose I put on a DVD of a show that I know well (if I just put the TV on, I'll watch/pay attention to it which is the opposite of what I need). A had issues getting to sleep when I was younger and doing that has 100% solved the problem (I'm generally asleep within 10 minutes) - it's not that silence is a problem, it's that with without that background interference my brain won't disengage and allow me to doze off.

Usually set the TV to sleep in 30 minutes, after that the house is completely silent. I don't often wake in the night and if I do it'll only be for a few minutes and the lack of noise doesn't seem to bother me then.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I have needed a fan to sleep since I was basically 10 years old or so.

Then I got a white noise machine (rain, forest sounds, waves, etc) in my early 20s.

Then a number of years ago when I first really discovered YouTube I rekindled an old love of mine, one I didn't know had a name yet. ASMR.

I loved ASMR before it was known as ASMR way back when I was like 7 when me and my brother would watch Bob Ross and The Urban Peasant on TV all the time.

No need to link a Bob Ross video. I think everyone knows about him these days...

We loved their voices. We felt the "tingles". We thought we were the only ones who felt this until I discovered ASMR on YouTube and I was properly blown away that other people even knew what it was. Before that I was finding my own sources for ASMR on YouTube before being led to an explanation of the term and actual channels that focused on it. Now it's this huge thing.

But yeah long story short I now require a fan AND ASMR to go to sleep.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Prefer with sound, it just seems easier to fall asleep when there's sound going on, I don't like super-low sound either, prefer something that's more like "heavy rain/thunderstorms" or even blizzard sounds, not a fan of "gentle running water" or that kind of sound.

Though nothing can replace my favorite way to sleep, in the sleeper of a moving 18 wheeler at night. Some of the best sleep I ever had was when I'd go on trips with my grandpa (he hauled cattle across the country, a lot of the times to Kansas), I'd climb into the sleeper at night while he was driving, hearing the sound of the other vehicles on the interstate as they passed by, the motion from the truck, nothing comes close to that for me as far as the best sleep I ever had.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prefer silence but don't mind white noise. Not that bothered either way. Obviously not keen on having video game soundtracks playing on a loop.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
For the past year I go to sleep while listening to an unecessry podcast/radio talk as a backgrond. I need an average of 15 minutes o fall asleep.What I mean with unnecessary is that something I am not that passionate about so that I don't get hooked or excited and focus while listening.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Unless I am realy tired I need it quiet. I usually set a 15 minute timer on my TV with a documentation and after the tv turns off i usually sleep.

If the tv is on or music I stay awake the whole night because I keep concentrating on it.

Last edited:

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
My need for a fan started when I was 11, I spent a week in hospital on a children's ward which was the first time I had ever been in a hospital. My Mum stayed with me the first couple of nights but she couldn't for the rest of the week, the only way I could get to sleep was to try and forget I was in hospital on my own, and that required drowing the sounds out during the night. Luckily there was a fan on my bed table, and that's where it all began. 26 years later and I reckon I could count on one hand how many nights I haven't had a fan on!

It would be interesting to hear how other people came to have this need.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I can't sleep without some kind of noise usually from a podcast or the TV. If I don't have something to focus on it, I start overthinking things and my anxiety kicks in.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I usually listen to podcasts and audio books that I've already listened to. If I stop having something on after a long spell of listening my dreams are very vivid.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I have tinnitus, so there is no such thing as sleeping with no sound. I just get to choose if it is a high pitch scream inside my brain or maybe just the ceiling fan.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I work night shifts and sleep in the day. started wearing earplugs and sleep a lot better. Helps me tune out the world and drift to sleep better. it's honestly a game changer

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Silence. I feel like I'm able to hear someone whispering my name two towns away when I try to sleep.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I quite often go to sleep with the TV on but I can fall asleep in silence just fine if I need to

Someone near me has a rooster (the development I live in is right on the edge of town), in summer it's sometimes started crowing by about 3 am.. If i'm still awake when it starts I find it really difficult to get to sleep...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Tinnitus sufferer for over 20 years so I don't have a choice. I use headphones and watch TV/listen to podcasts until I nod off.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Either way is fine. I'll fall asleep when I'm tired. I do find fan noise and regular city street sounds (like cars or trains going by in the distance) fairly soothing.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I use ASMR as a sleep aid, so I'm definitely with a little noise, so long as its soft and doesn't contain any talking. Other than that, I prefer everything else quiet. Except for real rain, that can get pretty loud and I'll still sleep like a baby. Sea or gently flowing water sounds also work for me.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I have to sleep with a fan on, it's a huge pain in the ass because of my autism the fan sound has to be a super steady sound or my brain will focus on any ticks or rattles and I can't sleep. In case people don't know the human brain will block out most repeat sounds ie. The ticking of a clock and such. My brain is incapable of doing that. Even my own heartbeat can keep me awake, luckily with the fan on I don't hear it.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
I like my bedroom to be as quiet and dark as possible. I'll be asleep in a few minutes after putting my head down.

I have trouble falling asleep with a fan on, because of the noise and I'd rather not wear earplugs, as they make me feel closed off from my surroundings. Also, I have a hard time understanding why you'd need noise or even TV-shows playing in the background. Especially the latter would command my attention instead of helping me sleep. I've also never fallen asleep in front of the TV, so I guess that just doesn't work for me.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Silence and in darkness. It's time to rest and do nothing else, no distractions and nothing to worry about. It's lovely.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I have the Echo play thunderstorm sounds. It's relaxing, and it helps me to ignore my tinnitus.