• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I use a mix of standalone fan, hvac fan and a white noise machine which simulates a fan. Never all three at the same time though.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Does the ASMR/other end up playing all night then? Or do you end up removing your earbuds or stopping the sounds at some point in the night?

It'll eventually stop since I only grab a video from YouTube and listen to it. The earbud will either fall out at some point, or I'll drowsily remove it in the middle of the night if I wake up.

It's primarily to help get me to sleep initially. If I wake up in the middle of the night for something, I'm usually drowsy enough to pass right out. If I have a lot on my mind still, I turn it back on.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I got a noise machine because of my roommate waking me in the morning.

I was surprised that I had trouble getting a defect-free machine that could output a smooth, relaxing sound without distracting artifacts (that sabotage the intended effect) like clicks and such. Like, you have one job, come on. I may look into one of the older-style mechanical ones next time.

May 24, 2019
Nothing, but it's the best/easiest sleep when it's raining.

I'm finding it way easier to sleep now in my mid-30s than it used to be. I usually drift off seconds after hitting the pillow.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About a year ago I started to sleep with either Twitch streams or Youtube videos on my phone.

Now its kinda hard to fall asleep with just silence.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
And also seems like every other person here has tinnitus. I have never even heard of tinnitus before I started reading this forum.
I had assumed it's quite common. It's simply hearing a pitched noise due to hearing damage. It can be bad enough that it may drive some insane. I'm unsure if I have it, perhaps very faintly if I heard NO noises at all. But I randomly get ringing in my ear from time to time. You don't get that? Tinnitus would be that, but permanently.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I can sleep without anything because i use ear plugs but I've recently gotten back into using rain sounds with an app called Rain Rain and it's nice. I keep my sliding door in the living room slightly cracked so my cat can hit the balcony when she wants and even though I'm pretty far from the road I can still sometimes hear car alarms and shit, even with the ear plugs. This app helps mask those.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I had assumed it's quite common. It's simply hearing a pitched noise due to hearing damage. It can be bad enough that it may drive some insane. I'm unsure if I have it, perhaps very faintly if I heard NO noises at all. But I randomly get ringing in my ear from time to time. You don't get that? Tinnitus would be that, but permanently.

I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't hear a faint high pitched "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in total silence.

Hell I remember as a kid I couldn't tell if I was just hearing that or if somebody left a TV on.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fan in the summer, heater in the winter. Love the noise and feel like I'm pretty dependent on moderate temps around 70 degrees fahrenheit to make it thru the night undisturbed.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't hear a faint high pitched "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in total silence.

Hell I remember as a kid I couldn't tell if I was just hearing that or if somebody left a TV on.
Honestly, I wonder if I have tinnitus? I don't know. In total, absolutely silence I hear that wheee noise but it's not loud enough for it to be an issue at all. I wonder if it's just impossible to not hear something??

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My ceiling fan is always on and sometimes get Google Home to play some rain sounds.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
At my parents' house, we had a bit of a pest problem (of both the bugs and mice kind), so if there was no noise there was a high chance I'd be able to hear something crawling somewhere and it would freak me out. The earliest I can recall, I had at least a noise machine. At some point, maybe even as early as kindergarten, I upgraded it to a radio and I slept with the radio on all the way up to 11th grade when I went to a residential school and had to stay in a dorm with a roommate. At that point I had to learn to sleep in "silence".

I haven't really lived anywhere else that had a pest problem, though, so it ended up not being a problem.

Now I sleep in silence, but I'd not be inherently opposed to sleeping with a radio on again.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Insomniac, I got a tower fan for our new house with white noise settings. Its a must.

My wife likes tv, classic rock, documentaries, says she needs it to sleep. We dont sleep in the same rooms.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
sleep with radio on, tuned to either classic rock or country. The dulcet and familiar tones of The Rolling Stones or Bad Company or Alan Jackson or Blake Shelton or whatever lull me to sleep.

Right now Zac Brown is going on about being knee deep in the water somewhere

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Since I essentially always have some white noise on, I do enjoy the two days that Florida gets cold enough to turn off my ceiling fan. It's weird but also relaxing to have almost total silence.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I use asmr channels on YouTube while wearing headphones. Some just tingle me straight to sleep... Or at least put me in a state where I can take it from there and go straight to sleep.

Asmr relaxes me and makes me feel comfy.

I fall asleep quicker with an earbud and some ASMR playing since it keeps my mind from wandering. Anything else tends to be annoying since I focus on it, and I would prefer complete silence instead.

I used to play some atmospheric music once in a while, but ASMR seems to be more effective for me.

Pretty much the same. But I use over ear headphones to isolate the outside sound from the ASMR artist.

I found a really nice channel recently and it is so good because her sounds are quality. It sounds like she is moving around my room -- softly, mind you...

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
My C-PAP makes the most obnoxious racket so I use a fan to block it out.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I sleep in silence. I close my eyes and I'm gone within 10 minutes. I don't need a background noise. If there's one, I fall asleep just as quick so it doesn't really matter. I'm lucky I guess.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Doesn't matter to me. I can sleep in absolute quiet or somewhere really noisy.

However I do sometimes listen to podcasts if I can't sleep. But that's only because I can't sleep because I'm not tired.

whalenapp81

Oct 29, 2017
I sleep with Audible with the volume on very, very low most nights. Only takes me 5-10 mins to fall asleep most nights.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I got a white noise machine, a fan, and an air purifier running at full blast right now.
Yep the machines even cheap plug ins are way better than apps somehow those always sound like a loop that hitches or stutters.
Sleeping in absolute silence is not recommended because you are leaving yourself very vulnerable to any other environment than your own. Good luck sleeping in a hotel or other place.
After 10 years of night shifts it's white noise all the way even long after ditching night shift

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I always have a box fan going, plus my house gets unbearably hot in the summer, so it serves two purposes.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had pretty bad insomnia all my life. Due to it, i usually need to fall asleep with an audiobook, or more rarely music. Pure silence just leaves my mind too active to sleep, i start endless thought trains and then look at the time and two hours have gone by and i'm no closer to sleep.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer silence, but I'm fine with quiet and constant white noise or nature sounds. If it's something that pauses on and off or changes in pitch or volume a lot, though, (like music, tv, snoring, cat meows, etc) it usually doesn't bother me if I'm already out, but I have a really hard time falling asleep while hearing it. That kind of stuff just distracts my brain and will keep pulling it away from the edge of slumber over and over. I'm insanely jealous of people who can pass out right away and through any kind of noises.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Yeah i have my PC on in the same room. It works as white noise. Sometimes i also put on some play later video playlist on YT to doze off to.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Both are okay to me. To compensate with that one, i can recommend you a playlist

I always listen to it every night because it is so calming

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Air conditioner sound on or Spotify sounds whatever fits my mood. But yeah , I can't sleep in silence because I can still hear cars and people outside.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I used a fan for a long time but have has one of those white noise sound machine things for years and could never go without it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Can't fall asleep to save my life without a fan.

I tried a white noise machine a few times, but no dice, it's just not the same.