• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just completed AI: The Somnium Files (I think it was okay, nothing too great but also not too bad) and while playing I ran into the same conundrum that I always have in games like these. Whenever voiced lines are also presented in text boxes that I can advance manually. I usually try to listen to the full voiced lines before I advance to the next snippet, but after some time I usually get impatient because I am a fast reader and I just start advancing the text when I finished reading it.
I really don't dislike voice acting, but I also don't have the patience to wait for it to play out all the time. It's probably most common in Visual Novels, but it also happened for me in Persona 5 and Hades although the voice acting is great in both of these games.

So, do you guys listen to all voice lines or do you skip parts of them as well?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Yup I rarely listen to the entire voice line, especially in large open world games like Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I often turn off voices entirely in games with heavy reading so I can read at my speed.

In action oriented or cinematic games I'll listen to the whole line.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is probably the first game I skipped all non-main story dialogue. Got to a point where I wanted this shit to end. lol

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Depends on the emotional weight of the scene. If it's just some random shit, I'll skip it if I finish reading the subs before them. If I'm at a plot critical point, I'll let the entire dialog ply out.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Not if I'm hearing it for the first time. If I keep dying at a boss fight or something and it has some dialogue beforehand, yeah, that gets skipped

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I feel your pain. I read much faster than the VA (understandably), and I end up missing a lot of voiced content as a result.

It's why I'm more than okay when a smaller game or a Nintendo game foregoes voice acting altogether.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game and the conversation I'm watching. I often do skip especially if its sidequest related. I really miss the option in games that don't have it and are very wordy.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
Usually, yeah. I find voice acting in video games to usually be pretty mediocre so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on a performance most of the time. Hades was the first game in a while where I spent probably the first 20-30 hours of the game actually listening to the voices but as good as they are, even then I had to skip at some point.

OP
OP
Zhao_Yun

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I feel your pain. I read much faster than the VA (understandably), and I end up missing a lot of voiced content as a result.

It's why I'm more than okay when a smaller game or a Nintendo game foregoes voice acting altogether.

Having no voice acting at all at least takes away the choice for me and I feel less bad for reading quickly. But then again, I really like the fact that characters have voices now so it's always a trade-off.

Depends on the emotional weight of the scene. If it's just some random shit, I'll skip it if I finish reading the subs before them. If I'm at a plot critical point, I'll let the entire dialog ply out.

Yeah, at critical junctions I usually listen to the whole voice line as well.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I'll skip most of the time if I've finished reading unless the voices are particularly good, like Grim Fandango or something. I'm occasionally guilty of mashing X through without reading it in some games where the conversations aren't as important. Demon's Souls most recently or the story stuff in fighting games.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sometimes.
Interesting scenes I definitely don't (like story beats), but mundane stuff like thanking me for finishing the mission. Yep I already read it thanks please stop talking.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Depends on the game, story and quality of the scene direction.

Often times a lot of games just say shit they don't need to say and it's easy to infer and assume a lot of things and move on, or the direction of a conversation is just not very interesting and engaging and it's easier to quickly read the subtitles and move on.

Great games though have well written dialogue that is both interesting and important without being too verbose, while also delivering that dialogue in an entertaining and engaging way. Both in terms of VO and in framing. Not a lot of games have very good camera work when it comes to dialogue and that's a major draw back that can really stifle your interactions.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I just finished playing Greedfall the other day, and I have to say, when voice acting is bad, I usually will just read the subtitles and skip the actual voice acting

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to, but I can't help it. I'm a fast reader and I'm always itching to get back to gameplay.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Absolutely. I'm glad games like Assassin's Creed allow you to skip each line, instead of whole dialogues.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Yes when the VA is average/bad, and/or when it's too damn long or when there's too much of it.

So yeah, most of the time I do.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Always skip. They aren't cinematic/dramatic lines so give me the info as fast as possible and let me get back to the game.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
If I like the voice acting, I don't even read the lines.

In other playthroughs of the game, I usually skip every text and voice lines.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
If the game has a textbox during cutscenes yeah, I can read faster than the characters speaking. If given the option like in DQXI for example, I'll just turn VA off entirely though.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's part of why I didn't mind that Disco Elysium wasn't fully voiced. I could speed read to my heart's content

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually no, but there are exceptions. For example, I don't know what the hell transpired during the last 20% of Persona 5. I was so tired of these characters and so tired of their idiotic blathering that I couldn't jam on the X button fast enough. They broke me.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. At least not on the first playthrough. If I keep dying and they keep showing the same cutscene whenever I restart, again and again, then sure.

Nov 8, 2017
I skip them if they're not in English. I don't see the point in listening to voices that I don't understand if I've already read the dialogue. Otherwise I'll listen to it... and disable subtitles if that's an option.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I'll be honest as much as I prefer voice acting to written dialogue in most games when mixed together I usually skip as soon as I finish reading unless it's a critical plot moment

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Always skip. Turn voice off if it's an option and the interface makes possible to see who's talking.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
yeah, usually. i'd rather read

though i guess if something important is happening i'll listen instead. it's just however i'm feeling at the time

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
If I understand the language, I listen to the voice over before advancing. If I don't (read: it's Japanese) I just read and advance as fast as I can. Which means, hearing maybe 10% or less of the voice line. I don't see any reason at all to listen to the voice line when I don't understand it. Sentence structure is often so different that any emotion carried by the voice is meaningless as I've either already read that part, or haven't yet. It never syncs up, so it's just meaningless.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I do for maybe the first few hours, but then I get bored and after I read the dialogue lines I normally hit next. I tried to stop doing this in Yakuza 7 because it had character animations tied to the dialogue boxes and I was skipping not only voiced lines but entire animations.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah I usually skip once I've read it. The Yakuza games have so much chatter and I just can't bring myself to sit through all of it.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Almost never. I enjoy voice acting, so I got no reason so skip ahead.
Even if I don't understand the language I usually listen to everything unless the voice acting doesn't sound interesting.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yep. I usually let the voiceover play in its entirety in important story scenes, but I have no problem skipping minor dialogue. I read much faster than the VO can say it and there's no reason for me to wait, really.

On that note, I hated how Cyberpunk had a glitch visual effect every time you skipped a line. It was ugly and made skipping a line take much longer than necessary.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Depends on the context and quality of the game. Something really good with awesome pacing? I'm listening to the whole thing.

Nothing interesting to hear and boring sidequests like Cyberpunk? I'm skipping most of the filler.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I never skip it the first time. I skip the fuck out of everything on subsequent playthroughs, though.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Yes, I'm a fast reading and don't see the point in listening to what I just read (and I'm hard of hearing so I usually struggle to hear what is being said anyway...).