• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you skip story cutscenes in games? (on first playthrough)

• Always skip

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Always skip unless it's good CGI

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Never skip

Votes: 260 74.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 72 20.6%

• Total voters

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm skipping cutscenes on my first playthrough, then something has gone horribly wrong. I've only done it once, and that was shortly before I tapped out on Persona 5. The group texts were basura and I still felt the need to finish the game.

Oh yeah I probably did this a bit with Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Couldn't take the creepy American character when he went into waifu mode.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If I wanna just play a game I'll play something MP, not SP, so no don't skip unless the game has shit checkpoints or something.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Can we get visible votes? I need to know who my "always skip" squad is.

I don't remember the last time I watched a skippable cutscene. I've skipped basically every cinematic in every game I've played since after Final Fantasy IX, which means there weren't many games I actually watched cutscenes for lol.

I guess I'll watch openings sometimes though. I'm glad I've seen Dark Souls and Hyper Light Drifter and Armored Core For Answer openings but I can't really get myself to care about the story in any game enough to watch. Playing FFXIV while skipping every story sequence was fun.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually never.
But I did skip some Disney cutscenes in Re:Chain of Memories after a few worlds, got tired and they're completely meaningless.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not on a first playthrough, if I play the game again and I enjoyed the cutscenes I would watch it again, if not it's a skip.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I almost always skip them because I generally don't care about the game's story and only play games for the gameplay controls.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
only after viewing them once. . . unless they're uber cool.

Musou games are definitely watch once affairs. They even have an auto-skip option for you!

I hate how some PC games have super awfully compressed video cutscenes to save space but on PS4 they highest quality reading off the blu-ray (likely).

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't even play most cutscene heavy games but when I do and I think the story sucks I have no qualms in skipping them.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
No, even if I'm bored by the game, I will always watch them during my first playthrough.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Almost never. The only time I've ever skipped cutscenes was MGS4 because a lot of them were excessively long

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never skip, and having the skip prompt always present is the work of the shareholders & focus groups!

Oct 27, 2017
No, I never do this on a playthrough. Kinda defeats the point of playing a narrative game. The only exception where I can think I wanted to skip lthe story was Far Cry 4, which I played fairly recently and I hated almost all the characters and I found it all unbearably pretentious. Ironically you can't skip those cutscenes, at least on PS4.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
If I'm just wanting to play a game I'll do it in a game mode that doesn't usually have stuff like cutscenes or a story/characters to follow, like a MP mode.
How the fuck did you read it as SP games aren't games?

People replay singleplayer games all the time for the sake of the gameplay, and they all have cutscenes.
Bloodborne have ctuscenes, Resident Evil 4 have cutsceness, Devil May Cry 3 have ctuscenes.

That didn't stop them from ''wanting to play the game'', saying ''if I'm just wanting to play a game I'll just play MP games'' is just wrong.

I play RE4 all the time when I ''just want to play a game''

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Only in games i find stupidly cringe worthy. DMC5 made me skip everything. Fantastic gameplay though!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
People replay singleplayer games all the time for the sake of the gameplay, and they all have cutscenes.
Bloodborne have ctuscenes, Resident Evil 4 have cutsceness, Devil May Cry 3 have ctuscenes.

That didn't stop them from ''wanting to play the game'', saying ''if I'm just wanting to play a game I'll just play MP games'' is just wrong.

I play RE4 all the time when I ''just want to play a game''
It's not to me, I couldn't careless about what others do. If I want to turn my brain off or just waste a few hours, I'll do it in a MP game, either PvE or PvP. If I want to replay something, I'll be replaying all of it, cutscenes and all, I very rarely replay games. If a game isn't grabbing me, I'll drop it before skipping cutscenes.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I don't, unless it's obviously filler.

The group texts in Persona 5 discuss the same darn things every time.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I very rarely replay games.

That explains it.
You are the kind of person who beat one character's campaign in Resident Evil 2 and be like ''I'm done with the game''.
You don't love singleplayer games for their gameplay and level design. You only care about the story, good for you I guess.

People like me, we replay games like Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, REmake, REmake2, RE4, Dead Space, Half-Life 2 all the time.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never skip.

Games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and Xenoblade 2 have made this super tempting though.

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends. If it's not really a story driven game, then absofuckinglutely. I couldn't skip them fast enough in Destiny 2

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That explains it.
You are the kind of person who beat one character's campaign in Resident Evil 2 and be like ''I'm done with the game''.
You don't love singleplayer games for their gameplay and level design. You only care about the story, good for you I guess.

People like me, we replay games like Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, REmake, REmake2, RE4, Dead Space, Half-Life 2 all the time.
It's okay. Not everyone has to like video games.
Gamers rise up!

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gaming scripts are usually terrible so I often get slightly annoyed and skip.
Ace combat is just maddening with its dialogue, briefings and cutscenes.

Would never do it in a good story based game like witcher, tyranny or firewatch.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
What kind of pleb does this? Probably the same kind of person who'd order a steak well done.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My friend do this.

We are no longer friends.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
No, not on a first playthrough atleast. I guess I might if the story/writing was absolutely awful, but right now can't think of playing something where this has happened.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
only by accident. usually when trying to go to settings to turn off subtitles to start the game.