• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I am unable to do this , seems like a big waste to ignore them(no matter how many times I replay it).

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Seems like a big waste of time to do them, honestly.

99% of the time I bee line towards the end, make it to ~20 hours in and drop the game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Imagine skipping something like the Painted World or Archdragon Peak.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much if the game takes the piss with filler content. i.e. Assassins Creed (ubisoft formula in general).

However at the same time, now and again side stuff can be pretty decent.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Seems like a big waste of time to do them, honestly.

99% of the time I bee line towards the end, make it to ~20 hours in and drop the game.
Yupp.

Obviously, it depends on the game. Sometimes, I will do most of the major side-content. Very rarely will I 100% a game, because I value variety in games over being a completionist. All depends on the person and the type of game, I think. In any case, I'm not forcing myself to play a game I'm not enjoying, and I'm not forcing myself to play more of a game when I'm satisfied with it.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
No, some people work hard to build these areas/quests, so I feel like the least I could do is explore them, so that's what I do, whenever possible.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't, and in fact often I give in to temptation and look up guides/wikis to ensure I don't miss places my first run through. Bad habit, really.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
If I decide to play a game then it's because I want to experience what that game offers so I always do most of the stuff there is.....I'm currently playing Assassins's Creed Odyssey.....and there is a lot of stuff,lol......I'm enjoying it though.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less if an area or quest was a required part of progression or not. I only care if it's interesting or not. I'm not playing a game out of an obligation to beat it as quickly as possible. And in many games, the side content can be a lot more interesting than a lot of the mainline content. So I'm not sure why I would skip it simply because it's optional. I'm also not obligated to do everything mundane.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
All the time. Just finished death stranding and didn't do a single optional delivery. Still took me 35 hours.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
towards the end of a large game if i just wanna be done with it and move on to something else, I might skip, or if its an unnecessarily bloated Ubisoft game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I really dislike the game, I try and do all optional areas/bosses - Yakuza for example I do all the side stuff (even the mini game completion list), Sekiro (or other Souls like games) I get all endings/fight all bosses etc. For the moment - I'm playing the Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection and am doing two runs on each game - a normal (warm up) run, then an A/S rank run as certain boss moves are hidden behind high rank play, and in certain boss' cases it completely changes the difficulty and makes the games way more fun. So yeah, if I enjoy the game I want to see all it has to offer.

I draw the line at collectables though. I wanted to do another run of Until Dawn to see the best ending but after reading I'd need to get all of one type of collectable I yielded, just not what I want to do in a game, especially a narrative one like that (nothing kills immersion faster than looking at a list to make sure I get all the collectables per chapter).

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. To a fault, at times. I bailed on Skyrim because I kept going from one side quest to another and by the time I caught up with the main quest, I was burnt out. Same thing happened with Witcher 3, but I eventually finished that one.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Usually no and that can honestly feel like its to my own detriment if I don't like that content in what's otherwise a good game. I need to get better with that.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If I'm 20 side quests in and they have proven to be incessant fetch quests with no depth, I will eventually start ignoring them.

This is a new directive for me because in the past I would keep doing them and eventually burn out would set in, causing me to drop games entirely. Looking at you every Bethesda game ever made.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Nope. That's not a good thing either, I have a bad habit of doing everything and then getting bored because of it. So many games shall remain unfinished.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I almost never skip optional stuff, unless it's downright boring or painfully repetitive. Optional areas and quests provide plenty more opportunities for exploring and can be incredibly fun.

Jun 17, 2018
I do some nearer the start of the game and then usually end up only picking up the ones that seem interesting to me. Most of the time I feel like they pad out the game unnecessarily.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
Areas? No.
Quests? Depends on the content, I skipped a bunch of side quests in Witcher 3 in late game that didn't interest me because they offered nothing I hadn't done before or any new gear.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Depends on the game. In Assassins Creed or Rockstar Games I skip most of the side content.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Rarely but I remember when playing Skyrim and at one point having to find so many random books in caves that I said fuck it and rushed through the main story.

Every time I opened the quest log I had like 20 things I needed to find in a cave.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cop out answer, but it depends on the game. Sometimes I do optional side stuff. Sometimes I don't.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
if it's not fun I dont waste my time with them, that's why I. lately did any botw side quests. on the flip side I did most of witcher 3 base game side quests because they were all generally engaging.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I rarely skip optional areas, I'll usually at least go and see it and explore a little.

Optional quests though.. if it sounds like a 'collect the 50 magic tokens' one, or a fetch quest to somewhere I've been ten times already, or a 'for every ten x you bring me, I'll give you a mediocre reward' one, those I skip, it's just busywork. A quest should sound exciting to my character in it's brief, not just in it's reward.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Depends on the quality

If sidequests aren't worth/don't respect my time then I probably won't do them. On my initial playthrough of a game I usually just do whatever and play at my own pace, I'll then go back and find what I missed if I feel the game still has more to offer. With Souls games I do absolutely everything as there's rarely a drop in quality

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
If I like the game I'll do all/most of the side content usually, unless it gets to be ridiculous like Kingdom of Amalur.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I usually feel compelled to 100% a game when I get into one. I've tried to ease off of this though since it can so often end up feeling unfulfilling and a waste of time. There's too many other games worth giving a try to spend more time on the bloat that AAA games have these days.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Too many games not enough time.

Hell, I only game like 20 hours a month. I'm honestly pretty close to giving up the hobby.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

If it fleshes the game out in any way whether in story, mechanics or whatever I do it. I have to finish them otherwise I'd feel like I'm not doing enough. The only time I don't do them is if I'm so bored with the game I wanna rush to the end.

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
I tell myself I'm going to do everything and then at some point I get bored or tired of the game or sometimes I just feel too disorganized and I'm not making any progress and I plow through the main quest line.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely skip boring shit. I will give most side shit a chance though. I feel bad for the people that can't skip it. I know a few people that hated Spiderman because they kept doing side activities. I almost exclusively did the main story and thought the game was fucking fantastic. I did one of each activity and decided that they sucked and did no more. No idea why people put themselves through that shit.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could ignore those side quests, I usually get burned out after a while with games that has a lot of side quests and just drop them.
Developers should just have an option to have these quests disabled and focused on the main quest.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on execution. The Souls games have amazing optional areas for example.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Nope. If it's in the game it gets played. Unless doing content locks out other content or it signposts a lack of reward I will usually complete pretty much everything a game has to offer.

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
I absolutely skip boring shit. I will give most side shit a chance though. I feel bad for the people that can't skip it. I know a few people that hated Spiderman because they kept doing side activities. I almost exclusively did the main story and thought the game was fucking fantastic. I did one of each activity and decided that they sucked and did no more. No idea why people put themselves through that shit.
Spider-Man was one that I was enjoying all the side stuff and I'd complete it right away but then after like the third wave of unlocked side content being more of the same I ignored it.

Oct 26, 2017
I make optional areas and quests my priority before doing the main quest.

I do skip them *sometimes*, I suppose. But, not as often as I *don't* skip them.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i do them if i like the world enough , just traveling , enjoying the sights and sounds . Skyrim ., Witcher 3, RDR 2, AC 2/Brotherhood /Origins , FH4
I skip em if they are just collectibles or theres too much content and most of it is forgettable . Like AC Oddysey or most ubisoft open worlds , Days gone , HZD , spiderman

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I have a huge problem with needing to do everything and then burning myself out because of it, or not even starting games because I know they have so much to do inside.