• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you send post-interview thank you emails?

• Yes, email

• Yes, snail mail

• Yes, both email and snail mail

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Yes, I send thank you emails followed by a memorable remark on the interview in hopes that I stand out more than other candidates.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I help with hiring in my group and I silently judge those that don't take the time to do it.

I sent an email when I was hired at my current company many years ago.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I personally only do that if I really liked my interviewer and thought it went well. For me, it also makes sense to do this If the interviewer and I share some professional experience and outlook, or if I really want to reinforce something I said during the interview. Otherwise, I don't, or I just say something boilerplate.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People here are telling you that it is not. I've never done it, for example, and I have been a programmer since 1997. I also interview people and have never seen anyone do it.

It is almost certainly very industry specific.
I work in the accounting industry. I can tell you from experience that thank you, and follow up letters are standard since I've started back in 1992.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work in the tech industry and have done it myself and received them after interviews I have done.
I've worked in every major US tech hub and interviewed/received offers from the majority of FAANG and have never sent or received a single one.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if it seems like that kind of place I'll send an email. At the very least it makes you look like you are a considerate and conscientious person; certainly won't make them think less of you even if they didn't want you in the end. You might even get a "well, we don't think you're a good fit for this, but there's this other thing..."

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I've worked in every major US tech hub and interviewed/received offers from the majority of FAANG and have never sent or received a single one.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah definitely not saying it's a requirement, done by everyone or that you will only get a job if you do it. Just saying I would not go as far as saying it's not encouraged in the tech industry. However I am also coming at it as a developer in the industry. TBH though, there is such a demand for developers right now, we probably are able to get away with things other industries are not.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yes, I always send an e-mail to each person I interview with, assuming I don't have to dig deep for their e-mail address. If they give you a card or set the interview up with you via e-mail, or if the staff directory on their website has it, it's fine. Just a thank you sentence, a follow up to something that came up in the interview, and a re-iteration that you feel you would be a good fit.

Granted, tech/coding is a very different field that higher education, but as long as you aren't bugging them every day, a Thank you email the same or next business day won't hurt you- it can only help.

Yep. I have never not sent a thank you email after an interview, even if I'm not interested. It's simple professionalism.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, its standard etiquette.

I wouldn't hire someone who doesn't bother sending a thank you email because he feels too entitled.

More like people like you who are entitled and egocentric. Do you send thank you emails to your candidates who spent shitload of time writing resumes and researching your company so they can help your business needs? Or that they took their time to travel to your location while dressing up for the interview. My guess is no. You probably think they are lucky just talking to you.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No. I send a follow up email if they do not get back to me by a certain date (usually about two weeks).

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
It was more along the lines of; how can tell the difference between a genuine thank you and a run of the mill checklist thank you? I guess I just take them all as genuine and you maybe take them all as run of the mill (hence the cynical comment).
Instinct? From experience mainly. I'm a big believer in things like technical skills being teachable on the job; you could be the most educated person in the room but it won't count for anything if you're the wrong personality. With that being said I'm often on the lookout for people that break the mold of the team; a bit of diversity can go a long way. A lot of my peers have teams of identical 20-somethings that all look and speak the same way and I don't understand it. Anyway not to say you couldn't get a read on someone from a good thank you email, but in my experience they're generic to the point of being useless.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like people like you who are entitled and egocentric. Do you send thank you emails to your candidates who spent shitload of time writing resumes and researching your company so they can help your business needs? Or that they took their time to travel to your location while dressing up for the interview. My guess is no. You probably think they are lucky just talking to you.
No, its also formal etiquette to reply to their emails and thank them for coming. But someone who can't be bothered to spend 2 minutes to write a thank you email after an interview is likely going to put the same amount of effort at work.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For their time and consideration. And they usually thank me for the same.

Why not let them thank you first? Because they never will. Just seems like subservient forelock-tugging to me. I suppose if that's what is expected, that's what you need to do but the whole thing seems revolting to me. As an employer.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I used to do this but now I don't. It's really never going to tip the scales in either direction, so it's largely a waste of time

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the country/culture since some people will find it weird and a turn-off. I wouldn't risk not doing it in the US.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Hi, Era. Need some advice. Sorry if it's a dumb question.

I'm young and just got out of my first ever real interview (for an internship).

Is sending post-interview thank you emails a thing still? Apparently, only 24% of people do it. On the face of it, to me at least, it seems very outdated and serves only to clog up the recruiter's inbox?

I've even seen some websites recommend an email and then a physical letter?

I'm currently just planning on writing a short email tonight or tomorrow morning.

Also, please feel free to share your first interview experience or worst interview experience to make me feel better.
I feel like I did alright, but I misunderstood the technical/coding question twice (!) and also wrote down the wrong availability on my resume (I wrote I was available January-May even though it's a summer position because I was looking for spring internships and forgot to change it), so these things have me doubting my chances.

Nobody gives a fuck about your thank you letter. If they like you at the interview, they'll contact you because they'll be scared to lose you and have to get someone worse.

You interviewing 50% to be a good worker that will make their life better, and 50% to be their friend so they enjoy their workplace.

So my advice is to be charming and give off a "i'm competent, enjoy my work and I like to learn new things". Nobody wants someone who exudes negativity.

If you want them to know you liked them, say so at the end of the interview. In your own words. Good luck!

Email sent
OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Since this thread got bumped:

I did send an email, and will probably continue to send emails in the future.

I know a lot of people said they don't matter. Probably not wrong. I sent it because some people still care, some people don't care, but only a very small minority actively dislikes them, so I figured sending it was the best course of action.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
No, the way I see it if I'm getting the role it'll be down to my performance in the interview process, not whether I send an email.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Always always always unless you don't have their email address. Snail mail is too slow.