• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you send post-interview thank you emails?

• Yes, email

• Yes, snail mail

• Yes, both email and snail mail

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
As a hiring manager it annoys me when people hang on to me after leaving the interview room, and I'm considerably less likely to hire you if you annoy me. It's super obvious when people are just following a checklist of what some guide on Google told them to do and I don't have any interest in people like that.
Yeah, I came here to say almost exactly this. It just seems cheesy to me and does nothing besides bug me with an unimportant email.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I did for my first interview out of college and it was mostly just awkward and I didn't get the job.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Surprised how many No's there are. It's like interview 101. Don't care if you think it makes you seem needy or like a sycophant. I can't think of anyone who was turned down for a job because they sent a thank you email, but I've heard plenty of stories of people not getting jobs because they didn't. It takes 5 minutes. Do it.

Same, this is mind blowing.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
If the interview went well then I think a quick email is nice. It shows that you are excited about the position and took some time to follow up.

Don't expect a response though.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
As a hiring manager it annoys me when people hang on to me after leaving the interview room, and I'm considerably less likely to hire you if you annoy me. It's super obvious when people are just following a checklist of what some guide on Google told them to do and I don't have any interest in people like that.

I would however hire you. I like the cut of your jib.

You sound super cynical, I'd hate to work for you.

Just as a counter point: as a hiring manager myself, I appreciate it when people thank me for taking my time out of my day to interview them, because IT IS a pain in the ass to review a resume, interview someone, fill out the HR paperwork all while I have a ton of other shit to be doing. If some cocky kid comes in and bounces assuming he has the job I'm actually less likely to hire him.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Not usually. I did not send one for the job I got earlier this year.

At my old company I was involved in the hiring process for positions that were being filled on my team. Thank You emails had zero bearing on my thoughts about interviewees. It all comes down to the interview itself and if I thought the person was right for the job. The director (who was ultimately responsibly for making the final decision) felt the same way. We could tell rather quickly if we'd like to make an offer to a candidate. If a person interviews well and knew their stuff we would not forget them and not need to be reminded of them through an email.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Agencies/headhunters that helped me setup interviews for my current job advised me that you should (and I did).

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I interviewed with 4 people. When I got home I sent each of them a short 2-3 sentence email thanking them for their time and maybe mentioned some small thing we talked about. That's it. They all mentioned it when I was hired that it was nice to receive. Don't send them a huge story, just drop them a note.

I don't know why but this comes off a bit weird and creepy to me. I know if someone did it to me (and yes, I do interview people) I would see it that way.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Generally yes, but it depends on how I feel about the job. If it's just part of my blitz of interviews and one I don't particularly care about then no. If it's a job I think i'd be a good fit for and i'm really interested in: yes.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to send the email to just the lead interviewer/recruiter and to ask them to pass it on to the others.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Absolutely. It takes 60 seconds and helps keep you in their minds.

Hell, I often have mine pretyped for after the interview. I'll edit in a thing or two from the interview and be good to go.

May 9, 2018
No one has said it yet, but this is very industry dependent. It may make more sense to show increased personalization for a more client-facing role, but in the Software Engineer case, I've never heard of emailing after interviews.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I've always sent a thank you email. At the worst it shows I respect them taking the time to interview me. At the best it puts me slightly ahead of the competition and gets me the job. It costs nothing and no one is upset to receive a sincere thank you message.

I'm American working in Accounting so this practice might not be common in other countries/industries.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, it does not hurt and can only do good. No one's gonna read the email and say "wow, we do not want HIM anymore now".

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
No one has said it yet, but this is very industry dependent. It may make more sense to show increased personalization for a more client-facing role, but in the Software Engineer case, I've never heard of emailing after interviews.

That's because Software Engineers are so in demand that they aren't on the cusp of landing a job or not. I would hire 5 software engineers today if they showed up on my doorstep with a half decent resume.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It helps with my company. We interview a lot of people. If you wanna stand out you gotta show it.

But not snail mail. Don't waste your time.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, its standard etiquette.

I wouldn't hire someone who doesn't bother sending a thank you email because he feels too entitled.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If only 24% of interviewees do it, then of course you should go the extra step. Every little extra bit is going to be beneficial. It exemplifies that you are communicative which is vital to all successful teams and businesses.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be a 'thing' based on the personality of the hiring manager themselves.

So, sending one works for the people who demand it, and doesn't hurt anything for people who don't care.

Sending an email thank-you takes minimal effort.

Ergo, do it. The ROI is unquestionably worth it.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

Just as a counter point: as a hiring manager myself, I appreciate it when people thank me for taking my time out of my day to interview them, because IT IS a pain in the ass to review a resume, interview someone, fill out the HR paperwork all while I have a ton of other shit to be doing. If some cocky kid comes in and bounces assuming he has the job I'm actually less likely to hire him.
Not to blow my own trumpet but I have one of the highest employee engagement survey results of any people manager in my place of work so I must be doing something right. Actually that was to blow my own trumpet. Go me.

I'm not talking about hiring cocky kids - that's equally as annoying - I'm talking about hiring people that are clearly presenting themselves, not what Google tells them they should be. Anyone can be superficial. Spamming my mailbox with a copy/paste you pulled from a Google search doesn't tell me anything. Thank me in person, it means a lot more.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Let me get more nuanced. It depends on what sort of interview it was, what the position is, who interviewed you. I'm interviewing for engineering positions with office work, a lot of times I'd interview with my direct manager and someone else I'd work with. I'd send my thank you to those two sitting in, not the recruiters or hiring manager.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Absolutely, it does not hurt and can only do good. No one's gonna read the email and say "wow, we do not want HIM anymore now".
This is absolutely not true. So many employment decisions are based on if they think they'll enjoy being around you.
This can absolutely be off putting, depending on the office you're in.

Basically if its something that you want to do and its well received then you've probably found a good fit. If you don't like to do it and still get the job, probably a good fit. If you don't do it and they wanted to see it then its probably not the right place for you. And vice versa.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Not to blow my own trumpet but I have one of the highest employee engagement survey results of any people manager in my place of work so I must be doing something right. Actually that was to blow my own trumpet. Go me.

I'm not talking about hiring cocky kids - that's equally as annoying - I'm talking about hiring people that are clearly presenting themselves, not what Google tells them they should be. Anyone can be superficial. Spamming my mailbox with a copy/paste you pulled from a Google search doesn't tell me anything. Thank me in person, it means a lot more.

Congrats, that's great! My team is a very desirable place to be as well, to the point where my higher ups are making me rotate people in/out from other divisions because it's seen as the fun group to work in.

It was more along the lines of; how can tell the difference between a genuine thank you and a run of the mill checklist thank you? I guess I just take them all as genuine and you maybe take them all as run of the mill (hence the cynical comment).

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
This is absolutely not true. So many employment decisions are based on if they think they'll enjoy being around you.
This can absolutely be off putting, depending on the office you're in.

Bingo.

I've seen people turned down because they are amazing on paper but they just weren't a good fit for the people they'd be working with. And as I said, I would find it weird and a bit creepy, mainly as I am not expecting personal correspondence with the interviewee outside of the interview.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Given that the last two places I've interviewed at both ghosted me afterwards (didn't tell me whether I was hired, not hired or any sort of feedback whatsoever)...

Naaa, fuck 'em.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
As a hiring manager, 100% send that email. I manage a sales team, so communication, persistence, and follow-up are key traits I look for.

It may be less important for other roles, but its a MUST for anything sales related IMO.

Nov 1, 2017
I've never done this but in college they insisted you should do this for every interview. I found a job without doing it but I guess it couldn't hurt. They probably don't even read it but the fact that you sent it shows you at least put in some extra effort.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you thanking them for? You need a job, they need an employee. It's a meeting to discuss the possibility and suitability of an exchange of money for services. They aren't doing you a favour, they are looking to profit from your labour.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As a hiring manager I expect a thank you letter/email. It's common practice.

On a side note this trend of ghosting interviews and being at work needs to stop.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
What are you thanking them for? You need a job, they need an employee. It's a meeting to discuss the possibility and suitability of an exchange of money for services. They aren't doing you a favour, they are looking to profit from your labour.

I agree with this. Job interviews, especially for senior or high paying roles are about negotiation and the projection of strength. You don't need them, they need you. Or its a mutual need at best. You come off weak by ingratiating too much.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's your job though. You're doing all that because the company needs staff, not because you're doing anybody a favour.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Millenials stay unemployed. Just read this thread. geez 🤣

As someone (I'm an electrical P.E.) who actually does interviews and reviews resumes (after our company recruiter filters them for me), a simple "Thank You for Your Time" email can sometimes differentiate yourself from other candidates.

do it

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
People here are telling you that it is not. I've never done it, for example, and I have been a programmer since 1997. I also interview people and have never seen anyone do it.

It is almost certainly very industry specific.
Yet I've done it and seen it done for all of my programming jobs.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
People here are telling you that it is not. I've never done it, for example, and I have been a programmer since 1997. I also interview people and have never seen anyone do it.

It is almost certainly very industry specific.

Yeah I work in a small IT office and my boss/president straight up told me that alot of the decision was if they thought I would be cool. He left the corporate world specifically because he hated alot of that brown nosing shit.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually do, but I don't think it's particularly necessary. Whenever I've been involved in hiring, I can't say I particularly cared either way. But then... at some point hiring decisions get pretty arbitrary so it's hard to say what actually nudges you.

When I'm being interviewed, I try to work in some personal interest or hobby topic. Like at my most recent interview, the interviewer and I chatted about horror novels at the end of the interview for a bit. I sent a follow-up email with a sentence of thanks and a couple of book recommendations, plus I told him I grabbed an ebook of one he mentioned to read on the plane back. At that point it wasn't like Interview Etiquette Strategy, it was just being collegial.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I hire people. Usually we know when you walk out the door if we are hiring you, but if it is close between candidates a simple "thank you, I enjoyed what I heard" email lets us know you liked us.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I am a hiring manager and always welcomed a follow up email, doesn't need to be a thank you email per se.

I also send follow up emails as well.