• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you send a thank you note after each interview?

• Yes

Votes: 169 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 388 61.6%
  • Depends (explained below)

Votes: 73 11.6%

• Total voters

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely if I want the job. It just show some enthusiasm, initiative and just gives a reminder about you. I have received them myself after interviews as well.

Kind of crazy to me how strongly against them some of the above posters are.

For context, I am in the tech industry.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
As a mean's of reconnecting/keeping the lead warm, yeah. Not instantly, but just to keep yourself top of mind after a few business days.
If it didn't seem like a good match, no.

A quiz? What was the position at Ford, if you don't mind me asking. Office or factory?
Some BA role. Probably an office based but from my last BA role that means nothing.

I just remember filling out the application then being sent a link to quiz test thing. Refused to take it since it maybe an hour long.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Always. The only times I haven't done this is if the interview was a trainwreck (on their end, not mine) and I know I don't want the job.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if I want the job.

If don't want the job, then I won't send one.

I voted depends.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Is this an american thing? Do you send an mp3 of yourself clapping as well?
Lmao. I'm in the tech industry and have gotten a few thank yous over the year. It never increased / decreased their chances of getting hired over other candidates. Depends on the role and hiring manager though but I wouldn't do it ever.

Edit: added a word

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case, then why have you have taken adverse action based on a thank you email:

Look obviously if Candidate A is much better than Candidate B then it's not a full on 100% deal breaker but if its close, then the emailer lost.

Clearly some others think differently and that's OK.

Genuinely curious why you feel like you need to GOTCHA this.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I interview people and this is something I consider. It may be very old fashioned at this point but it is what it is.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely recommend it. Sometimes I may interview a dozen people for one role. It helps you stand out a bit and in hiring every little bit counts.

Nov 1, 2017
I did when I was in my final year of school and trying to land something after graduation, it was something that the career advisors suggested. These days I probably wouldn't but also I think it's rare to have direct contact with the people I interviewed with. Usually it's the administrative assistant or HR orchestrating the meetings.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, always have. Even if I decide I'm not interested in the job.

I'd always try to get the emails of the people who interviewed me to send them a note that night, usually with something as personal as I can remember to the meeting.

I was interviewing about 4-5 months ago testing the waters and decided I didn't want ot leave, but still emailed the people who I interviewed with to thank them.

I'm on interview teams at work too and any time anybody interviews me, if they send me a note then I remember that. It's not going to make me want to hire someone who isn't qualified, and not sending a thank you won't disqualify someone for me, but it's still something I think about.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Look obviously if Candidate A is much better than Candidate B then it's not a full on 100% deal breaker but if its close, then the emailer lost.

It's not a gotcha when you're straight up telling people that you pass on candidates "immediately" lol. That's you just telling us what you do.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Because "thanks for your time" at the end of the interview is more than enough. Any further contact before I call you just feels like a cheap attempt to manipulate your prospects. If you're good enough, you're good enough. I don't have time to spend a minute or two reading a worthless 'please pick me' email.

In fairness to them, they probably don't "want" to do it, but have been told that it's expected of them. It's common interview advise that is given, especially to new college grads looking for their first job.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'll give a "Thank you for your time" at the end of an interview but like an actual formal letter? Never.

Job recruiters are already inconsiderate as fuck and on principle I don't feel the need to be considerate back.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

I have literally never heard ANYONE do this, and I've been in hiring for a very long time. I have to be honest, if I found out one of my managers passed on a candidate BECAUSE they wrote a thank you letter, I'd have a very strong inclination that they shouldn't be in a management position.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a gotcha when you're straight up telling people that you pass on candidates "immediately" lol. That's you just telling us what you do.

It comes after an interview. Now if you're ever been on the hiring side, you'll know its usually down to 2 or 3 folk at that point. If it's close, like 90% of hiring decisions are, then yes, they'd be bounced.

But yeah sure, you've convinced me that it's absolutely not the case, good one.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It comes after an interview. Now if you're ever been on the hiring side, you'll know its usually down to 2 or 3 folk at that point. If it's close, like 90% of hiring decisions are, then yes, they'd be bounced.

But yeah sure, you've convinced me that it's absolutely not the case, good one.
I interviewed the people that currently report to me on my team. Please miss me with the "if you've ever been on the hiring side" stuff. You showed your ass and got called out. I've done it before. You did it here. We've all done it. It's ok lol.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Always send a thank you email. It literally was the thing that helped me stand out as a candidate and helped me land my first dev job.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
If it is the quick phone screen that is 10mins with HR I don't or if I go to the interview and don't think it would be a good fit I won't send one.

If I go on an interview and it is a great interview I make sure to send one. My last interview before I got the job was with the CEO from 5PM-6:30PM on a Friday.. he didn't want me to have to take time off of work to talk to him. You can bet that next morning I sent him a thank you.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A thank you note has never contributed anything to hiring or not hiring a person within my own experience, especially within the video game industry.
I expect People to be good and meet the criteria of what I am looking for and next to that, be cool people I would want to work with.

petty pleasantries do nothing for me.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If I REALLY want the job then yes. I'd send a quick, "Hey, it was great meeting you. Thanks for having me in. I look forward to hearing back from you".

I'm not saying that will guarantee the job or anything, but personally I've hired people that I've forgotten even came in because they called a week later to follow up, and I'm like "Oh yeah, that person wasn't horribly unqualified. Let's give them a shot."

Deleted member 11040

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2022
When you leave the interview just say 'thank you for your time, have a good day'. 95% of the time they will forget you exist the minute you walk out since they have to do this fifty times a day for 5 days.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Don't believe the weirdo above who said it would harm your chances. It will never hurt your chances unless you're talking to an obvious psycho.

Instead, consider it as increasing your odds, if only marginally. It's another chance to prove you're professional and know how to play the game of making personal connections.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had an interviewer once tell me to my face that he rejected me because I forgot to send a thank you email.

Lesson learned. Always send it.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I say thank you after every interaction.
As an interviewer, I actually don't like getting a suck-up thank you email to my work email as it clogs up my inbox. If we like you, we will let you know. If you want to connect in the future, hit me up on LinkedIn.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Is this an american thing? Do you send an mp3 of yourself clapping as well?
Haha I was going to answer would be nice to see country of origin in the polls as a UK person it feels a bit too sucky up like and clapping is on par with that.

Am worried about my next job interview but I would rather let my merits as I did in the last speak for themselves (I can automate shit and am pretty techy whilst having decent analytical skills).

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure if anyone thanked me after it had all been done and dusted I'd probably move then to the bottom of the list.

Very weird thing to do after the fact

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Never been in a position trying to get a job that required that much give a fuck before, so no. Also seems like a weird way to bother HR, they will most likely move you down being that spiteful.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
No, it feels insincere and like kissing ass to me. I'll just say thanks at the end of the interview, shake their hand and that's it.

I live in the UK where we're a bit more cynical so might make more sense elsewhere.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I only send a thank you email if I really want the job. Like if it's dream job level quality.

Any other old position is just gonna get a "thanks for your time" at the end of the interview, and they're gonna like it

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I always notice when a candidate sends a quick thank you email after interviews too.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Did a couple for the person directly hiring me since the interviews went extremely well.

Got the job from one of them.

Did it make a difference? Who knows.. but I felt that it was worth it.

Dr Shasta

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
If I am still interested in the job after the interview, then, yes I will send a thank you.
It is taking up a lot of time for the engineers and managers to interview me.
It's like telling somebody after a first date that you enjoyed it and want to pursue it further.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say thank you after every interaction.
As an interviewer, I actually don't like getting a suck-up thank you email to my work email as it clogs up my inbox. If we like you, we will let you know. If you want to connect in the future, hit me up on LinkedIn.
This.

If you have skills/qualities we want and you don't get the primary job we will call you, no need to send a follow-up like it will somehow tip the balances.
That shit might have worked wonders decades ago, but things are so specialized now.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
No because the selection process isn't dependent on a follow up thank you. Just be pleasant during the interview and tell them thank you when it's over because It looks much better in person. A follow up email makes you look desperate.

I have not hired anyone based off of a follow up email and I don't remember them either.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The attitudes expressed in here are pretty incredible.

Not sending a thank you is not the "sticking it to the man/fuck corporations" signal you seem to think it is.
If sending a follow-up cost you the job, you didn't want to work there in the first place.
It literally takes 30 seconds to send a "thanks for your time, I look foward to hearing from you" message to let the hiring manager know you're serious about the position.

It never hurts, but it certainly can help. Why be so antagonistic about it?