• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I am looking at that map wrong at first glance, but there is actually way less Supercharger stations in Toronto than I expected. That's kind of messed up

8edk98k.png

That's quite a lot. Driving thru the city should be no problem. I've heard there's a lot of lineups at peak times though. Most of the time you're charging on your driveway. I think the Model3 can finally use Chademo too.

I'm from Ottawa and there's exactly one in the city lol. And it's a slow urban Supercharger in a paid parking garage.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Unless I am looking at that map wrong at first glance, but there is actually way less Supercharger stations in Toronto than I expected. That's kind of messed up.

Since you live in London, does that mean you hit up the one in Woodstock if you are not charging at home?

That link is for Tesla Superchargers only (meaning, only Teslas can use them)

I honestly have visited a supercharger station in Ontario maybe... three times in the last 9 months?

I charge at home mostly with my wall charger, or like I said before, at work with the standard wall outlet in the parking garage.

I'm not sure why its assumed that teslas -must- charge at superchargers and only superchargers.

If its your only option for charging your battery, then yeah it might be tough to own an EV, but most of the time you can find opportunity charging or destination chargers much much easier.

I recommend looking at https://www.plugshare.com and entering in "toronto" and you'll see just how many places there actually are to 'fill up'.

DcJ375s.png

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
8edk98k.png

That's quite a lot. Driving thru the city should be no problem. I've heard there's a lot of lineups at peak times though. Most of the time you're charging on your driveway. I think the Model3 can finally use Chademo too.

I'm from Ottawa and there's exactly one in the city lol. And it's a slow urban Supercharger in a paid parking garage.

LOL, Nah fuck that, bro. That is not enough. I assumed there would be more than one in each portion of the city, but the distances between those places is way more than I expected. I didn't anticipate one every 5km or anything, but at least every 20-25km or so. How the fuck do they basically only have one in downtown Toronto(I assume it's that one I heard about near the Eaton Center) and Mississauga near the bottom end of the city limits.

EDIT: AHHHHH, Telsa Only SC's. That makes sense. I knew something was off when I just looked straight at the map. The other one just now by Dr. Evil is much more relieving.

tenchir

Oct 25, 2017
Supercharger are meant for long distance travel. For daily commutes, you want to charge at home or at work ideally. If you can't charge at home or work, then it's best not to buy an EV.

I mostly charge my Tesla at work 90% of the time and 10% at the free charging station at the mall when i shop. I do have a home charger installed, but I never used it since the one at work and mall is free.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Leasing vehicles is becoming more commonplace. I bet leasing EVs will become a very popular option. Leave the expensive battery replacement to the dealer or 2nd owner.

That's kind of the issue. What if you don't have a large car budget and you are the second owner. In that situation, I could see people who usually only have the budget for used cars sticking with ICE cars for quite a while.

never

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Leasing vehicles is becoming more commonplace. I bet leasing EVs will become a very popular option. Leave the expensive battery replacement to the dealer or 2nd owner.

Sorry, this doesn't make sense at all.
It doesn't matter how you finance your EV, the deteriorating battery will always be factored in.
In a leading agreement your monthly rate will be higher.
In general, leasing doesn't make sense for a ton of people and comes with lots of strings attached.

Only solution for this problem is:
a) 15-20yr warranty on batteries
b) replacement price in the 500-1000€ range

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
We need to at least ban ICE cars

I still disagree. When electric cars get good enough, and the infrastructure is there, the majority of the population will naturally move to electric cars over time. The only people left with ICE cars will be the enthusiasts which make up a very small percentage of the car buying population, and the emissions generated by them will be very small. Though I'm also saying this because as an enthusiast I don't ever plan on getting rid of my ICE cars, even if I just drive them on the weekend or something.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, unless I move, which I don't plan to since I like it here.

The infrastructure is just nonexistent, I couldn't even charge it inside my garage for an example (too far away from a socket). Just for a point of comparison, at the same time I live within walking range of a gas / petrol station.

Maybe a hybrid, but full electric is not happening here.

simplayer

Oct 27, 2017
I still disagree. When electric cars get good enough, and the infrastructure is there, the majority of the population will naturally move to electric cars over time. The only people left with ICE cars will be the enthusiasts which make up a very small percentage of the car buying population, and the emissions generated by them will be very small. Though I'm also saying this because as an enthusiast I don't ever plan on getting rid of my ICE cars, even if I just drive them on the weekend or something.
The US car fleet is about 10 years old, and we should start to seriously draw down to 0 carbon starting then. So if we want to do that, ICE vehicles will need to start being phased out in the early 2020s. EVs may or may not be price comparable by then, so if they aren't subsidies will have to be given to even out the price, and we'll need to ramp up ICE purchase penalties (like China is doing), until we ultimately no longer let them be sold

Last edited:

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I want a loud fast exciting sports car first. When I feel like I'm over that phase, I'll consider one. They just aren't exciting at all for me.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Once they get cheaper and don't look like garbage, probably. Sharing underground parking with my entire complex adds some charging challenges as well. Honestly not sure how that whole thing would even work. Would love to switch over, though.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Driving a hybrid now, I still have 8 years before switching to full EV. I just hope the infrastructure will be ready by then. Right now it's still more convenient with gas than electric.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The US car fleet is about 10 years old, and we should start to seriously draw down to 0 carbon starting then. So if we want to do that, ICE vehicles will need to start being phased out in the early 2020s. EVs may or may not be price comparable by then, so if they aren't subsidies will have to be given to even out the price, and we'll need to ramp up ICE purchase penalties (like China is doing), until we ultimately no longer let them be sold

I just think there's going to be a huge push back unless the electric cars can match what ICE cars currently do in terms of price and necessary infrastructure. Because at least here in the US, I doubt there will be subsidies available to make the price comparable, especially on the lower end of the market.

Also, in my post regarding ICE cars, I was also talking about the cars currently on the road. I do see less new ICE cars being made over time, but there's still going to be all the cars currently on the road. The average consumer doesn't care what type of energy moves their car as long as it has whatever features they care about and that refueling/charging is convenient.

The reason I mentioned enthusiasts, is because while the average person usually gets a new car every 10 years or so, people who are into cars don't always follow that trend. I currently own multiple cars, the newest of which is 21 years old, the oldest is 42 years old. Some of them I plan to keep forever.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I still don't understand how battery powered EVs could replace gas powered cars in the future. Is there any revolutionary battery tech on the horizon? It might work in lower populated areas/countries, but I don't get how in a city all the people are supposed to charge their cars.
This can only be an interim solution for now, and for cars that are used within a small radius.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I still don't understand how battery powered EVs could replace gas powered cars in the future. Is there any revolutionary battery tech on the horizon? It might work in lower populated areas/countries, but I don't get how in a city all the people are supposed to charge their cars.
This can only be an interim solution for now, and for cars that are used within a small radius.

Standard wall outlets are far more common than gas stations. People need to stop thinking about Evs like they do gas cars and the need to stop somewhere to fill up, nobody thinks twice and gets anxiety about charging their phone while they sleep and that's how you should think about an EV

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Like I don't understand what everyone is so afraid about the batterys. It's not like they just suddenly magicaly stop working one day, except for in very very rare and unusual circumstances which is what the warranty period is for. What happens is over many years and hundreds of thousands of miles the battery will slowly lose capacity, that doesn't turn the car into a paperweight it just means in like say 10 years and 200,000 miles instead of getting 300 miles of range you might get 250 depending on how the battery was treated and if it was abused etc. Not the end of the world. Tesla batteries right now are designed for 500k miles for example with a goal of a million in a few years.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Standard wall outlets are far more common than gas stations. People need to stop thinking about Evs like they do gas cars and the need to stop somewhere to fill up, nobody thinks twice and gets anxiety about charging their phone while they sleep and that's how you should think about an EV
this, the future is obviously not to build ev charging stations everywhere but to provide every damn parking space with a charging outlet. I live in japan which is a bit different from US but I'm thinking you want the charging outlet in the parking lots of diners, fast food restaurants and convenience stores. And obviously at work and at home. There are plenty of places, it's not like we need to retrofit our gas stations.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
lol you're going to need much more than electric vehicles. They are also extremely class-based where poor people can't ever afford one and as such will be blamed for not fixing climate change.

Funny how no one ever talks about trains, buses, etc., but all think they can live the same lifestyle with their own personal car.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I do of course understand, that EVs shouldn't be used and filled like gas car. But considering that I live in Germany, where every change takes ages to happen, there is no way that a city like Berlin provides charging ports for EVERY PARKING SPACE any time in the future lol.
The whole "charge your battery over night" idea works for homeowners with a parking space, but not the millions of people living in normal flats in the middle of a city.

Fun fact: the public charging stations we have right now are much more expensive than electricity at home if I'm not mistaken.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
lol you're going to need much more than electric vehicles. They are also extremely class-based where poor people can't ever afford one and as such will be blamed for not fixing climate change.

Funny how no one ever talks about trains, buses, etc., but all think they can live the same lifestyle with their own personal car.
This: I think the idea that everybody has it's own personal vehicle to drive through a city is ridiculous. I think 90% of the 4/5/x seat cars I see are used by one person. IMO that is the much bigger problem

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a bad hot take. I can't buy a ev right now because I live in a flat in the city. I don't even have a designated parking spot so I would need to hunt for some wall outlet (how?) In the wild with a 100 meter extension cable. Lol.

There needs to be a charging port on every second parking spot.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I do of course understand, that EVs shouldn't be used and filled like gas car. But considering that I live in Germany, where every change takes ages to happen, there is no way that a city like Berlin provides charging ports for EVERY PARKING SPACE any time in the future lol.
The whole "charge your battery over night" idea works for homeowners with a parking space, but not the millions of people living in normal flats in the middle of a city.

Fun fact: the public charging stations we have right now are much more expensive than electricity at home if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah that is true it doesn't make much sense to go EV if you don't have some sort of garage or access to an outdoor outlet at home or at work. Doing high speed charging daily is not good long-term for the battery, Tesla superchargers for example are really meant for road trips and occasional top ups, not daily charging.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I got a Tesla. Works good as a to b car and requires no gas. Building has charge stations in the underground alone the pillars. Good investment overall. We still got our original Nissan but it's never used unless we drive far. Future seems more solid as more brands are releasing EV.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If EV's were cost efficient I'd be all in since we don't do any long distance driving... but since the last car I bought was 17K new, and I don't expect to EV's to get that low anytime soon, I think I'll just have to tough it out for now.

Oct 27, 2017
I would buy a Tesla right now but it's a little too expensive and I'm waiting to get a house first so I can install my own charger. The problem with EVs for me is its either :

1) Ugly as shit
2) Too expensive

Tesla is the closest one imo, but it's still a little too expensive. Get the models down closer to 35k with the 300 mile range and we're good.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Can't afford one and I live in a building and there aren't enough charging stations out there.

So...no. I'll check back in 10 years.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My car is getting to the point where repairs are costing nearly as much as what I have left to pay on it, so I'm ready to eat the cost and do a trade-in before my inspection and emissions are due in a couple months. An EV would be nice, but charging stations are too far out of the way, and I don't really want to pay that much for a car at the moment.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Most likely will buy at least a hybrid if not fully electric as my next car. My oldest car right now is a 2016 Honda Civic Turbo, so it will be another 5-7 years before I am in the market.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Unless there is a charging station at every gas stations and the price compete with regular cars, I'm not going to bother.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I would happily buy an EV if they didnt cost me my only kidney. Also need more places to charge up in the UK.
Don't even care for the battery life as long as it isnt too stupifly low.

Basically give me a small poor peoples vehicle, and not these rich white people toys (aka Tesla)

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could get an EV, but as someone who semi-regularly drives 400+ miles in a day it is unlikely that any electric car will fit my needs.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
With a 2 year old and a 5 year old. Probably not as a solo car.

With cars seats and tons of kids junk, I need a big car with a ton of storage space. No affordable electric car for that. Next comes the range, the only affordable car with decent range is the model 3 which is too small, I'm not gonna plan my trips around 1 hours rest at charging stations. I dictate what my car does not vice versa.

In the far future (10+ years) maybe but I'm hoping car ownership doesn't exist anymore and cars as a service with self driving becomes the norm.My kids should never have to learn to drive.

An affordable (under 50K for me) full self driving car would change everything though.

Jul 18, 2018
Not full electric. Hybrid yes.
Live in Chicagoland, so full electric is just a loss for me in terms of finding place fill up and traveling since commute is so important here. So gas is still the go to, hence why I have a hybrid instead. Can't imagine during winter or severe storms for when electricity goes out of venturing to find a fill up for electric car

Oct 26, 2017
Price and charging convenience are the deciding factors for me.
For comparison my current vehicle cost me roughly $10,000 and does about 300 miles/480km on a tank of gas - which costs about $60 in my country.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm currently driving a Prius. It's great but I only use it once a week at most. I'm not sure if I'll have another car but if I do I expect it to be purely electric.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I could see my wife getting an EV for her next car because she commutes daily just in the city, and we rarely take her car for further trips... But unfortunately it then becomes a budget issue for us. We can afford like $10k-$15k for her car, so we usually settle for a reliable little sedan (in this case, a Mazda 3) with middle tier features. Unfortunately, unless you're going deep pre-owned or really sacrifice features / EV performance, it's almost impossible to get a relatively "new" EV down to that price.

The mid-range specc'ed Nissan Leaf, which is ... a car with a lot of compromises ... is $27,000 which would make it nearly the most expensive car we've ever bought ... for a tiny ass car that I could barely fit into. A prius, which is more comfortable for me, starts at like $25k

So our next car might not be an EV, but hopefully the one after that when prices continue to come down.