• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you're already in the market for a £27k~ car, then an electric car is a no brainer when compared to the equivalents. I'd buy one now but I'm simply not able to buy or lease that cost.

Once a car comes in at a cheaper price, so that the purchasing or leasing cost is reasonable (especially when ones fuel costs will go <10% of the current costs) I'll be right there, as will many others.
I don't know, EVs are way too expensive to make any sense right now (at least in Germany, where I live). A comparable and affordable EV to my 2016 Opel Zafira with enough space for me and my family simply doesn't exist.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
If you're already in the market for a £27k~ car, then an electric car is a no brainer when compared to the equivalents. I'd buy one now but I'm simply not able to buy or lease that cost.

Once a car comes in at a cheaper price, so that the purchasing or leasing cost is reasonable (especially when ones fuel costs will go <10% of the current costs) I'll be right there, as will many others.

Well, once people compare the regular 27k GBP cars to the electric ones, it's not as much of a no-brainer.
Haven't seen any electric station wagons/vans in that price range.

Another problem that need to be adressed is the resale value/warranty of the battery.
AFAIK car makers give you like 8yrs warranty on the battery, which costs a small fortune to replace.
So buying a 5 year old electric/hybrid car is a huge gamble.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
If I had a house I probably would get an electric car though living in flats where it is harder to setup a charge point I'm looking at more self-charging hybrid cars (that Toyota/ Lexus have).

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
No. Most of the electric vehicles out there wouldn't be able to handle the trips we currently go on. I honestly don't see myself ever owning a solely electric car without some kind of ICE backup just because charging is not at the same level of convenience as filling a gas tank.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, EVs are way too expensive to make any sense right now (at least in Germany, where I live). A comparable and affordable EV to my 2016 Opel Zafira with enough space for me and my family simply doesn't exist.

If that's the Zafira with 7 seats then yeah you're outta luck unless you want to spend silly money on the Model X. More EVs will come soon enough, like I said price is the biggest barrier for me personally too.

Another problem that need to be adressed is the resale value/warranty of the battery.
AFAIK car makers give you like 8yrs warranty on the battery, which costs a small fortune to replace.

100% agree on the battery. One thing holding back many people is the knowledge that batteries will get better - so I'd like to know that a car I buy now will be upgradeable for minimal cost AND recycle the old battery.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's only 5 seats but that doesn't change anything. Well, cars like my Zafira are an endangered species anyway, everything has to be a SUV these days. It makes me sad :(

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
100% agree on the battery. One thing holding back many people is the knowledge that batteries will get better - so I'd like to know that a car I buy now will be upgradeable for minimal cost AND recycle the old battery.

I can totally see that in a (fairly distant) future, batteries and the sockets in the cars are standadized and/or replacements are cheap.
But for the forseeable future, the lifespan of the batteries will be a massive obstacle.
A new Prius battery is ca. 2000€ + the installation cost. This makes any Prius older than 8 years a tough sell compared to a regular car with the same age and mileage.
Not only do you have to pay more upfront for the battery, the way battery-warranty is done also diminishes the resale value of your car each year (on top of the normal decrease in value every car has).

For drivers (me included) that trade-in their old car when they buy a new one, this is another deal breaker (on top of the initial purchase price).

It's only 5 seats but that doesn't change anything. Well, cars like my Zafira are an endangered species anyway, everything has to be a SUV these days. It makes me sad :(

It can guarantee you that the % of SUVs will only rise in the future because of the demographic changes. Older people really like SUVs because getting and out is a lot easier thanks to the high seats.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm mostly waiting for recharge stations to actually exist outside of the big cities. That would be a good start for me to envision getting a full electric car.

And then there's the gears problem : I hate driving an automatic.

They're literally everywhere. most within 100mi of each other.

And there are no gears, it's one gear, acceleration is linear, you just GO.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My current car is from 2001 and I'll likely need a replacement very soon.

I'd absolutely love to get a Tesla, it's my actual dream car and I think everything about them is top notch but they are way out of my price range and all of the other EVs I've seen get a huge meh from me and still sit outside my budget so unless something changes in the next 2-3 years or whenever I finally need to fork over for a new car I'll probably be buying an old fashioned combustion vehicle.

Honestly I don't drive much though, I have a fairly short commute (about 15km each way) and generally ride my bike if the weather will allow it

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Somehow, when you rarely drive more than 30km per week, the prospect of needing to drive 105km just to go the nearest supercharge point feel quite impractical to me. Dunno why.

That's when you charge at home, or, alternatively, use literally any other non-supercharger station in your local area.

I plug into a standard wall outlet at work every day in the parking garage, by the end of the business day I've gained more range than it took to get to work and back.

Tesla's aren't limited to superchargers, you get a great little adapter bag with your vehicle that lets you use the J22 plugs, and you can get an optional ChaDeMo adapter if needed, as well as the aforementioned mobile charger (which works on a standard plug, or a bigger 50a dryer outlet) that come with the vehicle.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Too expensive to justify switching right now. I only drive 10k km per year so makes no sense really.

VW's ID cars sound interesting if they can sell them for under €30k here.

simplayer

Oct 27, 2017
If I had a house I probably would get an electric car though living in flats where it is harder to setup a charge point I'm looking at more self-charging hybrid cars (that Toyota/ Lexus have).
So...a self charging hybrid is just a hybrid. It's a bit of non-sensical marketing Toyota is doing. All hybrids recharge their own batteries, they just use the gas you buy to do it

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
We have two EVs now and our gas car hardly ever gets used. The plan for now is to keep it for a spare vehicle but I don't see any reason to ever purchase an ICE ever again.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow, when you rarely drive more than 30km per week, the prospect of needing to drive 105km just to go the nearest supercharge point feel quite impractical to me. Dunno why.

This is like moaning that I have to go into town to use the phone recharge locker in the shopping centre. You'd recharge at home and always start the day with a reasonably full battery

Getting infrastructure into flats or street parking will take more time but I assume as you're not in a big city that's less likely to be a problem

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
My Toyota is 10 years old now, and I'd definitely like an EV as my next car. Will probably look into getting a used one in like 3 years.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not viable at this moment

Will stick with what is common now - gonna wait for the technology to improve/mature and become more common

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm holding out until electric charger networks are more widespread. My friend has a Tesla Model 3, and even though he technically has access to Superchargers, he's often run into situations where the Superchargers don't work (or, as in one case, had all the cables cut off), all the stations are in use, or the ones that are open limit the amount he can charge in one session. Even with a huge amount of range, he's had at least a couple circumstances where he's been down to low double digit miles remaining trying to find a charger that's open and works.

I know they're kind of a hack long-term, but my next car will probably be a hybrid. Once chargers are even half as ubiquitous as gas stations, I'll consider one.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
That's when you charge at home, or, alternatively, use literally any other non-supercharger station in your local area.

There is no way, at all, to charge my car at home as there is no power outlet in the entire parking. Would i own a home with a garage, maybe, but that's not the case. As for non-supercharger in my area, the closest is 50km away.

The infrastructure is not ready in any shape or form outside of "biggish" cities where i live. Ergo, i can't.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have money to buy a new car right now and by the time I do I don't even know if buying cars will be necessary

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
My inner hippie really wants a new VW Buss. However, I don't have access to an easy electrical outlet for it, it's made by VW and I don't trust them as a company, and I'm a loyal Honda man. The thing is I'll need a new car next year....

Oct 30, 2017
Not in the next 10 to 15 years with the main reasons being distrust of battery tech and very limited options in the minivan segment.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Currently just walk everywhere or take public transport, no plans to change that anytime soon. If i absolutely had to, i guess id learn to drive and get a little efficient electric car yeah, i'm in a place where charge stations are pretty common. Hoping by the time I might need a private vehicle we'll be in the self driving revolution and I can just skip getting a license and hop on the buy n'large monopoly barge.

TBH if i could just speed around on a little mario kart everywhere id fuckin sign right up.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I know electric cars don't need a transmission, but I see not having one as a downside. Just because it doesn't need one, doesn't mean I don't want one. I like having a manual transmission in my cars because I find it enjoyable.

I think my only hope is to do a conversion of an ICE car. Which is something I have thought about doing at some point as a fun project. I'd probably use an old Toyota or Nissan pickup, since the bed can easily be used to hold all the batteries.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I know electric cars don't need a transmission, but I see not having one as a downside. Just because it doesn't need one, doesn't mean I don't want one. I like having a manual transmission in my cars because I find it enjoyable.

I think my only hope is to do a conversion of an ICE car. Which is something I have thought about doing at some point as a fun project. I'd probably use an old Toyota or Nissan pickup, since the bed can easily be used to hold all the batteries.

Whenever my model 3 is old enough that I've enjoyed it and am ready to move on, or if tesla releases a smaller form factor car, I want to convert a DeLorean with Tesla guts. It would be incredible.

Not literally. Closest one to me is 527km. I'd blame this on American viewpoints, but it'd be even worse in Alaska.

I'm Canadian, and the closest one to me is about ~80km away, but yes, they are more plentiful in the USA.

There is no way, at all, to charge my car at home as there is no power outlet in the entire parking. Would i own a home with a garage, maybe, but that's not the case. As for non-supercharger in my area, the closest is 50km away.

The infrastructure is not ready in any shape or form outside of "biggish" cities where i live. Ergo, i can't.

Check out apps like PlugShare or Chargepoint, you'd be surprised what might be in your immediate area.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Whenever my model 3 is old enough that I've enjoyed it and am ready to move on, or if tesla releases a smaller form factor car, I want to convert a DeLorean with Tesla guts. It would be incredible.

I'm Canadian, and the closest one to me is about ~80km away, but yes, they are more plentiful in the USA.

It will require a lot of fabrication due to how the tesla motors are mounted. I saw another project where someone used a tesla motor in a nissan skyline, and it required a lot of fabrication since he kept it mounted at the rear axle. Your range would be bad since less space to store batteries as its a small car, but then again a lot of conversions have short range because of this. Its still doable though. There's also companies that specialize in doing these conversions.
Here's the skyline with the tesla motor

What I would do is just use a bellhousing adapter to mount an electric motor to the standard transmission, as the motor output shaft is just replacing where the crankshaft of an engine would go, so everything else would be the same. There's also a company that makes these adapters for various transmissions.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
In the near future, a plug-in hybrid seems more likely than a pure EV, for me. While my daily commute might be fine in an EV, I still need to make longer drives now and then, like 2-3 hours each way, sometimes longer. As far as I know, the charger availability around here isn't enough to support it, and renting a car for this purpose doesn't exactly work for me.

I imagine people who live in a metro area can make the EV life work a lot easier, having more charging locations, most things they might need available in a relatively close radius, more options for public transit/rental options, widely available local delivery.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
You don't DC fast charge EVs as your main charging solution. You'll kill the battery that way.

I see a lot of people in this thread talking like they need gas station like infrastructure to make EVs work. You don't. You connect your car to an outlet in your parking space at work or home and forget about it. It will have recovered your daily commute by the time you wake up or go back home.

Fast charging is really only for long trips
Oh yeah, I know. It's more of a piece of mind, coupled with convenience sort of thing. I know you'd do the majority of your charging at home, but if I just came from a long trip and don't have time to sit around for 10 hours while the car recharges, it's nice to know I have a viable solution nearby where I can get it done in half an hour.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Naw, electric motorcycles seems basically non existent, far too expensive, and impractical at the moment.

Maybe in like 20 years.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Bought a used 15 Chevy Volt 2 years ago and it's been an amazing car for me. I know it's not 100% electric, but I have a 20 mile round trip daily commute and am able to use just the battery charge for my day to day needs. My electric bill hasn't increased that much for having to plug it in each night and I'm able to get it fully charged in about 8 to 10 hours with the charger that comes with the car, less than that if I don't deplete it all the way. Our town has some good spots too that offer free charging which has been very beneficial.

I hope to be able to get a Tesla next depending on money at the time and hoping to finally be able to convert to 100% electric. I'll definitely keep a gas guzzler for long trips on the side, but moving to 100% electric for local runs and trips out to the nearby cities.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not in the market for any car right now, but I would definitely go electric. The prices are not great for the best ones, but luxury sedans are a dead market anyway. It's an SUV world now, and cheap small economy boxes. The range might not be great for cheap compact models but if you just use it as a city hopper, electric is perfect.

If you do need some range or SUV practicality, then current hybrids are good too. A plug in hybrid seems like a smart buy. Full electric for short trips and regular engine peace of mind for range concerns.

There already is plenty of electric product to chose from, and that is only going increase significantly in the next couple of years. Not only is there going to be more choice and price range to fit your needs, but EVs are only going get better. Electric vehicles are going to be all over the roads in the next decade.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Waiting for the next Hyundai Ioniq, the hybrid. Will be my first foray into electric.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bought a used 15 Chevy Volt 2 years ago and it's been an amazing car for me. I know it's not 100% electric, but I have a 20 mile round trip daily commute and am able to use just the battery charge for my day to day needs. My electric bill hasn't increased that much for having to plug it in each night and I'm able to get it fully charged in about 8 to 10 hours with the charger that comes with the car, less than that if I don't deplete it all the way. Our town has some good spots too that offer free charging which has been very beneficial.

I hope to be able to get a Tesla next depending on money at the time and hoping to finally be able to convert to 100% electric. I'll definitely keep a gas guzzler for long trips on the side, but moving to 100% electric for local runs and trips out to the nearby cities.

How much gas do you use?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm currently driving a 2015 and plan on driving it till it falls apart. It's a Subaru and I only have 35k miles on it so it may be a while. But once I'm back in the market for a new car, an electric of some sort will be at the top of my list.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How much gas do you use?
When I first got it, it took me 2 months to use up the gas the dealer put in the tank. I was being ultra conservative though and have since gone back to driving it like a regular car now. I put gas in the tank maybe once or twice a month depending on if I'm doing any long distance driving and cannot find a charger around my destination. The tank is only 9 gallons total with me having to put in about 7 and even with high California gas prices, I spend maybe $40 - $50 bucks on gas max a month.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Do they make EV SUV and minivans? How does the charging work? Do their have to be enough charging stations?

Would be a big hit financially for Washington State,
We have the second highest taxes on gas in the country.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
When I first got it, it took me 2 months to use up the gas the dealer put in the tank. I was being ultra conservative though and have since gone back to driving it like a regular car now. I put gas in the tank maybe once or twice a month depending on if I'm doing any long distance driving and cannot find a charger around my destination. The tank is only 9 gallons total with me having to put in about 7 and even with high California gas prices, I spend maybe $40 - $50 bucks on gas max a month.
Wow!

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Another problem that need to be addressed is the resale value/warranty of the battery.
Leasing vehicles is becoming more commonplace. I bet leasing EVs will become a very popular option. Leave the expensive battery replacement to the dealer or 2nd owner.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

They're literally everywhere. most within 100mi of each other.

Unless I am looking at that map wrong at first glance, but there is actually way less Supercharger stations in Toronto than I expected. That's kind of messed up.

Since you live in London, does that mean you hit up the one in Woodstock if you are not charging at home?