• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 29, 2018
I'd love to go electric, but I'm waiting for either more options or a big raise. I make decent money, but spending $30k on a car seems crazy to me.

I can see looking into solar panels for the house first.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope range of the vehicle and availability of charging still isn't good enough where I live.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Bad performance during the winter and lack of charging stations makes it a nono in Sweden.

Also, the base model of a Tesla Model 3 in Sweden costs 57.500 USD.

I'm planning on picking up the second-highest spec of the Mazda CX-5 next year, it will cost me around 35.000 USD

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Prices are still way too high here in Australia unfortunately, but it's obviously the goal and my desire.
Mirroring this - way too expensive in Australia at the moment. And even then, I'm way too broke to ever consider buying a new Car.

It sucks to be probably using LPG until 2035, on so many minute and macroscopic levels, but I don't have much of a choice.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
For myself? Nope. I love driving manual and my car is pretty new. I know my wife has been eyeballing them for a while now but I told her it wouldn't wise with how she treats her minivan and with kids.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
They're still about 5k or more out of my price range and driving on vacation just isn't feasible. You can't travel sub 400 miles and wait a day to charge. There's probably no charging stations between my city and the next major one either.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Choices. Where I live I need an electric truck/SUV or larger vehicle due to road conditions in winter. I'd love to buy one. But at this point there's not much reason to.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to someday, but I'm currently a renter with no good way to charge at home.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for:

- BMW to do them
- to not be wildly more expensive that their conventional counterparts

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I always buy one of the cheapest gas guzzlers. Not in a position to pay 10-20 grand more for the cheapest Electric.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like one. But at least here in the UK, there needs to be vastly more charging points and at the moment, the typical ranges don't quite meet my work requirements.

My next car will be in 3 years and will probably be a hybrid.

trudderham

Nov 9, 2017
I'm picking up a used 2018 Model S 75 this week. Same price as the base Model 3, but with Enhanced AP, air suspension, bigger storage, white seats, sunroof. Admittedly I had to drive 250 miles to view and test drive it, but you can get some bargains if you shop around.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Living in an apartment with no parking place and no charging stations nearby it's going to take a while. :(

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same, but there's a supercharger 5 mins away and my gym has free charging points, so hoping to get by using those two methods.
Nah, when there's more then the handfull of early adopters that's not going to be enough. As long as politics don't want this to happen for real it's not going to work for people with no garage I fear.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
No until the cost of ownership is lower than driving a plug-in hybrid/ICE, and I can honestly say this as someone who was looking at getting a used Ford C-Max plugin for electric commuting to work.

Last edited:

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I will get whatever model of our local auto manufacturers (Germany) or Volvo make when they come out with a model I can drive from MĂĽnchen to Hamburg/Berlin and from Stuttgart to Hamburg/Berlin on a single charge (i.e charge for each trip to/back, no charging in-between). Right now I could only do Stuttgart to MĂĽnchen on a single charge with the Audi e-tron.

Basically, the test is, if I can get from MĂĽnchen to Hamburg on a single charge, then I'll get one immediately lol. That is the distance from Germany's major southern most metropolitan area to Germany's major northern most metropolitan area.

I will definitely when this materialises, since within the city I only drive my bicycle everywhere (like to work), I never use the car within the city.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I live in an apartment in the centre of Madrid, so no car. The only electric transport I use is the train, and next year I'm thinking of commuting by bycicle to get cardio in that way and do fewer HIIT circuits at home, to protect a bad Achilles tendon.

I'm using this summer to get my driving license tho, (A bit late lol) so I'll be able to rent electric vehicles on trips and the like.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my model 3 for a year now and I will NEVER go back to an ICE vehicle. Honestly it's been life changing and if you have the means to do so, go for it. Do it. Don't even hesitate.

If you're looking at getting a Tesla one of these days, hit me up with a DM and I'll give you my referral code, it gives us each 1500km of free supercharging.

As a fellow Canadian, how does the 3 hold up during the winter? I live in the GTA, so while we don't get weather like in somewhere like Edmonton or Winnipeg, there is still cold temperatures.

Also, did you get the Long Range model?

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was laughed out of the local Toyota dealership yesterday for asking about the Supra and if I could look at the one they had in stock. Last time I go in there, and it really makes me want to ditch my current Toyota.

Local Tesla store is supposed to have a Model 3 I can test drive by the end of the month, so I might get one of those.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My civic is paid off so I dont see myself spending something like 20+ thousands after trade in just to save a few bucks on gas.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As a fellow Canadian, how does the 3 hold up during the winter? I live in the GTA, so while we don't get weather like in somewhere like Edmonton or Winnipeg, there is still cold temperatures.

Also, did you get the Long Range model?

I did get the LR as it was the only one available before the ontario EV rebate ran out.

I'm in London, and did a couple of London > toronto > london trips and while in the summer I could do it without stopping to charge, I had to make a couple stops in the winter as a result.

You basically lose 50% of your range in winter, so a 510km battery nets you about 260km or less, so the extra capacity is extremely well worth it.

the colder it gets, the worse you fare. I was at a concert in Toronto in December, had about 220km left on the battery, when we left toronto it was -2C, by the time we exited the 403 at woodstock, it was -20C and I had to stop and charge for 30 mins as my battery said there was only 60km left and I wouldn't have made it home.

That said, I've done numerous long distance trips (London > Ottawa and back, London > Washington DC and back) and my range anxiety is completely gone. It takes a bit to get used to but once you've figured out the limits that you're comfortable with, it's no different than planning gas station stops.

Anyway, if anyone is buying a Tesla, here's the referral code I spoke about before: https://ts.la/dean62421

My civic is paid off so I dont see myself spending something like 20+ thousands after trade in just to save a few bucks on gas.

It's more than a few bucks:

Ran some numbers having my Model 3 for a year:

05/17-05/18 = $1020.98 in fuel for my 06 Mazda 3
Drove just shy of 10K km = $0.10/km

06/18-06/19 = $338.91 in electricity ($173.71 Super Charging, $165.20 Home Charging)
Drove just shy of 20K km = $0.016/km

I'm happy to save $700 annually or more, dunno 'bout you.

Last edited:

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I will strongly consider an EV as soon as someone makes one that looks great, has 300+ mi range, proven reliability, and doesn't have build quality issues. The Model 3/S so far comes the closest, but still not quite enough to meet my requirements.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I already have one of these.

3zJm7Sh.png

Electric car, though? It's not feasible yet over here.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Tesla model 3. Best decision I ever made. I can't charge at my complex but my office parking lot set me up with a spot with a charging outlet for the mobile charger so I charge daily for free.

I would not recommend an EV if you can't charge at work or home, though.... unless you have a definitively planned out charging ability like a nearby available supercharger or L2 at a public lot.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
When they can do 400 miles on a charge, charge in 90 seconds, and not catch fire i'll seriously debate it.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I have a hybrid now. I considered electric but given I live in a rural area with not a lot of charging options it's not feasible

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I have one. I guess it's weird, but I finally realized that I wasn't consuming any gas around a few months ago on a road trip. I was like, woah, I'm not really emitting anything. However, where the electricity comes from is still up for debate.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the only EV I need runs on rails - and thankfully I don't have to buy those.

Nov 28, 2017
I don't see myself ever owning any car anymore. Sold my car last year as it was just a huge money pit.

But if I ever do consider buying a car in the future, it will definitely be electric.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If it makes any sense for me financially, sure. But I don't see that happening in the next 10 years (or something). So I'll have to rely on a gas powered car for the foreseeable future.
I also think that battery EVs are an interim solution... I personally find solutions like hydrogen much more appealing.

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps, I was planning on getting an EV next year but the government decided to lower incentives on leasing EV next year so I might have to wait.