• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I say "Brothers" when I explain it to people whom I just met and/or may or may not know about it. In casual conversation with like-minded folks, I alternate between "Brothers" and "Bros.", or I just simply say "Smash." The "Super" is rarely uttered.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it's not okay to say "Mario Bros" and therefore not okay to say "Smash Bros"

that's the law and if you break it you go to jail

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The game is called Super Smash Bros. Not Brothers.

Wrong, it's brothers. "Bros" is an abbreviation for "Brothers," has been used as such in Nintendo titles since the original Mario Bros., which is also pronounced "Brothers" out loud. The abbreviation was only used to save screen space back in a time when that amount of data mattered on arcade boards. The announcer in the original Smash even says "Brothers" in full on the title screen in both the Japanese and English versions.

People who say "Super Mario Brohs" or "Smash Brohs" sound like complete tools.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wrong, it's brothers. "Bros" is an abbreviation for "Brothers," has been used as such in Nintendo titles since the original Mario Bros., which is also pronounced "Brothers" out loud. The abbreviation was only used to save screen space back in a time when that amount of data mattered on arcade boards. The announcer in the original Smash even says "Brothers" in full on the title screen in both the Japanese and English versions.

People who say "Super Mario Brohs" or "Smash Brohs" sound like complete tools.

You are a tool.

The name is Bros.

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
it depends in Spanish when talking casually I use more Bros, but if I want to talk for a video/stream or something like that then I use Brothers which is the proper part of the name

as for how I call each one is like

Smash Seis Cuatro
Melee
Brawl (sometimes we joke as Braulio)
Smash Cuatro (either wii u or 3ds)

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The game uses "Bros." in the title, not "Bros". Note the period. That's the same one that makes you say "Dr." as "doctor" and "Mr." as "mister".

Or do some of you guys get confused on how to say Dr. Mario, too?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
"Brothers", which has always been the proper way of saying it. That dates all the way back to Mario "Brothers", even though the arcade cabinet had the abbreviated "Bros".

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
I generally call it Bros is i ever get that far into the name, but ill agree with others that Brothers is likely the intended way.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
In the opening of Melee, the dude says "Brothers", so I think that's the correct.

However, when I talk about Smash and include the Bros. part, it's either Super Smash Brothers or Smash Bros.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Melee
Brawl
Smash Wii U
Smash 3DS

Not own the first one
Would say (Super) Smash (Bros)
Sound like "Boss" with a "r" so
"Super Smash Bross"

Oct 28, 2017
People who say "bros" and not "brothers" are people that bite the entire Kit Kat and should be sent to a work camp.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Officially, Nintendo pronounce it "brothers", as does the game's announcer.

Personally I just say Smash or Super Smash.