• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Over two decades ago, while Wheel of Time, still unfinished, was fairly popular in fantasy lit circles, a video game adaptation was made, for PC only.

Wheeloftimegame.jpg

It was a first-person shooter. You played an Aes Sedai (a non-canon character invented for the game, IIRC) who fought Darkfriend/enemies with various weaves (spells). From memory, she was weak in the One Power and needed ter'angreal (artefacts) to channel meaningfully, probably an excuse for the variety of gameplay/weapons or something like that.

At the time I played it, circa 2000 or so, I was not into PC gaming at all. I was primarily a console gamer. I was complete rubbish at FPS even on console, tried Doom or Powerslave on PS1 and Saturn and didn't get very far. But I was more or less into WoT at the time (I'm not anymore, lol, the books are kind of rubbish let's be real, but that's for another topic), and I wanted to try this game. My boyfriend was a PC gamer and helped me set it up, but... of course, no controller support, and my attempts at playing mouse/kb didn't go very far, so I just gave up on it. (I later got back into PC gaming for real, and I do play FPS and have for a few years now, though still with a controller, don't judge me, I will forever hate m/kb and you can't change my mind here)

Now two decades later I do wonder what happened to that game. It seems the game was a commercial failure and the developer, Legend Entertainment, sadly went defunct a few years later though I'm not sure if it's really related. It was never ported to modern digital PC platforms like Steam or even GOG. I assume there are copyright/IP-related reasons for that, since it's an adaptation of an existing IP, the dev is defunct, and the publisher of the time seems to have gotten absorbed into Atari or something (someone correct me if I got that wrong).

So while I never played much of the game myself, I was wondering if others did. Was it fun? Was the story/lore any good with regards to the source material? Did it age moderately well or does it not hold up at all? Etc. Digging on Google images I found some screenshots which look pretty good for an obscure-as-fuck 1999 game IMO:

483781-shot0001.jpg

2.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do and I was disappointed because every spell was an Angreal.
Made sense from a game play perspective but I hated it lore wise.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
It's got some mega jank, it starts off alright but as you get further in it gets pretty bad.

I think the biggest problem is that enemies have waaay too much health, so you sit there firing off like 50 spells to kill one random jabronie.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Are those boxes with trollocs painted onto them?

Angreal/ter'angreal do make sense in terms of game progression, since channelers don't get inherently more powerful, they just learn new weaves.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Now there is a name I have not heard of in a long time. I remember reading the reviews for this title and later on this, alongside Clive Barker's Undying and System Shock 2 became the First Person titles I wanted to get into for a long time but I had a shit PC and so I eventually gave up on the dream.

Pey

Nov 27, 2017
Argentina
Sure do. The fact it didn't show hands or weapon models was my main complaint (considering it was released after the Hexen/Heretic series), but gameplay was pretty solid at the time.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Angreal/ter'angreal do make sense in terms of game progression, since channelers don't get inherently more powerful, they just learn new weaves.

You do not weave and you do not use Angreal (Sa'angreal) to be able to work with an increased amount of force. You are using ter'angreal like a wizard wand in D&D. There is one for shield, one for fireball etc.
Really doesn't matter that much. They are just the equivalent of weapons.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Cute, but you played an Aes Sedai, all of whom are women, you didn't play as Rand.

Did you even read the OP or did you just wanna shitpost
oh it's not meant to shit post. I love the series. Playing as an Aes Sedai is actually a really cool idea. Already looking up videos of the game because of the post.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if the new show does well, I'm sure it'll spark a new game. I think it'd be more suited to a fantasy RPG myself. The best place would be before the events of the books, but it would also mean that you could only play as an Aes Sedai, and I can just see the outrage at being "forced" to play as a woman in a RPG. Or, conversely, you can choose a male character and spend the entire game on the run.. lol.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I played this and I remember it being pretty good. I was certainly excited at the time.

It also made me realize I was pronouncing Aes Sedai wrong in my head the whole time. (Never bothered to check the pronunciation guide in the book lol)

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
The way the Machin Shin was handled was pretty much the only thing that I liked about the game. I think when I played it, I'd only read the first couple books.

I hope like hell the Amazon show takes off and leads to a surge in fandom and a better WoT game down the road.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was an unreal engine game if I remember correctly.
Also remember it being rather buggy at launch.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Hell yes! I loved the game. It seriously had some of the most impressive in any game at the time (those frescoes on the ceilings in the palace were mindblowing). Sadly I never managed to convince my friends to give the very elaborate MP mode a try over the usual CS/ Quake 3 fare :(

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I remember looking into this back in the day. Those are some pretty solid trollocs for 99. I'm very interested in the Amazon Prime TV series they're doing for Wheel of Time. Who knows maybe we'll have another Wheel of Time game in the next 10 years or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes. It was rather unreal at the time. (I never get tired of that pun, too bad).

But seriously, it was really underrated but also not-yet-fully-realized smooth implementation of a game on the unreal engine.

1999 was an interesting year for PC games. Lots of now-classic sequels, Thief, Everquest, Soul Reaver, and outliers like this game still managed to be distinctive, if not commercially successful.

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
oh what i wouldn't do for a new wheel of time game....or stormlight, storms i need a stormlight archive game

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely did play it for a bit back in the day, but it wasn't for long and I think it was way after the release days. I remember my impression being decidedly meh.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Oh yes. My computer was not up to snuff at release but I played on with 7 to 15 fps, lol. I still remember being amazed at the reflections for example.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Uh there was a Wheel of Time game? I discovered the novels in my teen years and it was very good.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I've always thought the first two books would lend themselves better to a JRPG than a WRPG, but with the amount of world building, I would love to play any game that does the game world justice.

I used to post on the game's message board just to discuss the series, sadly that website seems to have gone into the graveyard of the web.

Rosa Lilium

Oct 27, 2017
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wheel of Time always was an interesting beast, in that I always found the world more compelling than the characters and story-lines in the novels. So I actually dug this game's story-line more than the plot-lines from the books (lol).

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
When does it take place in the timeline? I am currently just over the halfway mark in book 3.
If I were to play this, would it spoil a bunch of stuff?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Wheel of Time always was an interesting beast, in that I always found the world more compelling than the characters and story-lines in the novels. So I actually dug this game's story-line more than the plot-lines from the books (lol).
Same here, Jordan couldn't really write women and he loses his mojo after some books, just went he was starting to get it back he sadly passed.

gradam01

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nebraska
I bought this out of a bargain bin 15ish years ago and thought it was ok. It was cool to explore some places from the book, but thought the gameplay and story were somewhat weak.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of WoT (burned out hard on it, quit reading it on book 7) but it blows my mind there haven't been more games made in that world. I'd likely check it out even though I'm not really in to it, I want to see more games based off of a series. I remember reading that Mistborn by Sanderson was being made in to a game years and years ago and I was so fucking excited even though the studio was completely unknown, I just thought it'd be awesome to see a game in that world. Obviously, it ended up going nowhere and was eventually cancelled.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I heard of this a couple of years ago and it blew my mind, because in the early 00s I wanted a Wheel of Time game so bad, but all I could find was the MUD. Some 15+ years later I stumbled on this and was shocked to see it existed and I'd missed out.

I never finished the series, but I'd like a new game all the same. Looking forward to the show too!

Same here, Jordan couldn't really write women and he loses his mojo after some books, just went he was starting to get it back he sadly passed.
*Tugs braid agitatedly*

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
When does it take place in the timeline? I am currently just over the halfway mark in book 3.
If I were to play this, would it spoil a bunch of stuff?
I think 8 books had come out by the time the game released, so i guess some spoilers should be expected. Currently it's at 14 books and i'm reading Eyes of the World. Guessing this will be my longest read-through ever.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I think 8 books had come out by the time the game released, so i guess some spoilers should be expected. Currently it's at 14 books and i'm reading Eyes of the World. Guessing this will be my longest read-through ever.
Thanks for clarifying it's place in the timeline. I guess I'll wait to play it. Having said that, I'd love a modern game in the Wheel of Time universe. I really love that world and the lengths Robert Jordan went to in making it feel lived in, though it was a bit much at times.

Are you doing a re-read or is it your first time? I went in fully aware it's 14 books, but since I like to torture myself I'll be doing Malazan next

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clarifying it's place in the timeline. I guess I'll wait to play it. Having said that, I'd love a modern game in the Wheel of Time universe. I really love that world and the lengths Robert Jordan went to in making it feel lived in, though it was a bit much at times.

Are you doing a re-read or is it your first time? I went in fully aware it's 14 books, but since I like to torture myself I'll be doing Malazan next
If the Amazon show takes off, perhaps a modern WoT game would be made, although I would have my doubts it would get the budget and studio backing it needed.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

As far as I remember (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), it's not exactly canon, and does not take place at the same time as the books' timeline, or its place in the timeline is ambiguous. So you shouldn't worry about spoilers at all.

Also I agree with those who said the WoT world >>>>> its story and characters. Good gods did the characters suck, lmao. But it does have a world that lends itself well to a video game.
So I actually dug this game's story-line more than the plot-lines from the books (lol).
I believe you completely. :D

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

It's my first read through and i like it so far. My current favorite is the Song of Ice and Fire series though, don't think i'll ever read anything that good again.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
It's my first read through and i like it so far. My current favorite is the Song of Ice and Fire series though, don't think i'll ever read anything that good again.
Oof that'll be rough. I went from WoT to ASoIaF and honestly never looked back.

49lck9.jpg

Too bad the GoT/ASoIaF games suck...

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
As far as I remember (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), it's not exactly canon, and does not take place at the same time as the books' timeline, or its place in the timeline is ambiguous. So you shouldn't worry about spoilers at all.

Interesting, might give it a try then. Is it legally available anywhere, like GOG?
Also I agree with those who said the WoT world >>>>> its story and characters. Good gods did the characters suck, lmao. But it does have a world that lends itself well to a video game.
I agree to a degree. There is one character that is just an absolute moron in the first book, like to the point that I was yelling at my book (we all know who it is). But in the third book Rand just turns into a whiny baby. At the same time Moiraine and Egwene are my two favorite characters so far, though if I were to tug on my braid with the same frequency the latter does in the first 2,5 books I'd be bald in a week.