• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
PlayStation 2, Grand Theft Auto 3

[R2 L2 R1 L1] Left Down Right Up Left Down Right Up

and [...] is many permutations with those 4 buttons.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Mortal Kombat's DULLARD and ABACABB on Genesis
DOOM's IDKFA and IDDQD
Crash Team Racing's SEASWAN
Age of Empires 2's how do i turn this on

I used to remember some for Tony Hawk 2X as well because they were also word-based cheats, I think words were a whole lot easier to remember than just motions and letters

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, are those tiles always there? If so that's awesome, it's been hiding under our noses this whole time

They are, but they're totally invisible. The palette makes them essentially not there. You need to change the palette in game to see them, either with PAR or the code or hex editing or something.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Cake, Hammer, Earth, Apple, Tap: Robocod; collect the first five items in the game in that order to unlock the cheat mode
There's a second one later in the level that spells LIVES, although I don't remember exactly what the objects are that make it up. I remember Lips and a Violin.

NXRD: Password to the final level of Gremlins 2 on the NES.

GBIO RGS: Enter into the high-score table on Starglider on Spectrum to access a cheat menu

PBRAIN: Enter into the high-score table on Arkanoid on Spectrum to be able to continue

MAAAAH: Same but for Revenge of Doh

LOAD "": REM Monty: When loading Auf Wiedersehen Monty on the Speccy, follow up the load command with a REM saying just "Monty" (REM being the comment structure in Speccy BASIC) -> Access cheat mode.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
ABACABB for MK Genesis
DULLARD also for MK Genesis (yet I never owned one)
DRULYB for SF2 and SF2T

Press select 25 times at the Takara logo on KOF95 for Game Boy unlocked multiple extra characters as well as enabled easy specials. There were a ton of DSW cheats for this game but this is the only one I ever activated and each "stage" of pressing Select made a different sound depending on what you enabled: bosses, Nakoruru then the MAX SPECIAL mode.

Select 3 times on the Takara logo activated easy supers, special and other hidden moves, UDABRLAB unlocked all of the hidden characters on Toshinden Game Boy. At least the character code one I'm like 99% sure beating the game a certain way the game would tell you at the credits.

Pressing A a shitload of times (supposedly 16 times a second) while highlighting the difficulty select on Gradius III on SNES gave you ARCADE difficulty which was... really difficult. Lots of practice to eventually be able to beat that without continuing, I think I only ever did a single life clear once (using the modified Konami code).

The oldest game-specific one that's long: NTTMNWLPPBDZ, though that's more of a password than a legit cheat
I've had that one memorized for the past, I dunno, 28 years? It gets you to the last area of Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II with everything you need to defeat the elementals.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
BARBYL from Fifa International soccer on snes, i think it was the one that let you control the ball in mid air lol. No idea why I remember that

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
The only other cheat I can remember is the $1000 dollar cheat in Saints Row 2. On the in game phone you put in "#cashmoneyz."

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides Sonic 1 level select and Metroid's Justin Bailey:

Space Invaders (2600) - Double shots by holding reset and turning the console on and off.

Intellivision console - pressing 1 and 9 pauses most games. I forget if this is in the manuals.

Pharaoh's Curse (C64) - passwords SPHINX, RAIDER - higher difficulties.

Revenge of Shinobi (Gen) - Get infinite shuriken by setting it to zero long enough in the options menu.

Shinobi (SMS) - Up/Left plus tapping 1/2 for level select. Button 1 might be optional but I'm so used to including it.

Ninja Gaiden (NES) - A/B/Down/Left/Select the start for sound test.

Also if you put your name as Sega or Sonic in Uniracers on SNES, it will just say "not cool enough".

And what's with people listing codes but not mentioning the games? Most people aren't going to automatically know.

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
All of them on PC

Pandemonium: ALMABHOL to have access to every stage with maximum hearts.

GTA VC: PANZER to have a tank appearing near the player.

Total Anihillation: +atm to get instant +1000 of metal and energy.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A very old one.
megahit for the original Prince of Persia. To be typed as a command line argument after the name of the game's executable in dos.
You could skip levels, kill enemies, extend the 1-hour countdown
I loved this game so much that i played it daily. I used the cheat to skip levels to play against the end boss multiple times in a gaming session lol.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Menace on the Amiga.

For infinite weapons, during the game, type:

xr3iturbonutterbastard

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
poweroverwhelming and thereisnocowlevel were the 2 essential tools in beating BroodWar Zerg campaign

e=mc2 is the classic AoE win button- replaced with "how do I turn this on" in the sequel

My favourite was always www in Cossacks. In European Wars it was just a map cheat, but in "Art of War" it actually gave you ability to switch between all players and delete any units you didn't like. Or order them walk into an artillery barrage.

Oh, and of course when Bloodlines came out and then Troika folded, ~noclip was literally the only way to get around a progression bug.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Up down left right a, b, c start

blood for MK genesis

Edit: Jesus folks I don't know what my problem is

Oct 29, 2017
Rally_Cross_cover.jpg

"weeoo" as the your drivers name unlocks all cars and tracks.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
Starcraft:
power overwhelming (invincible)
operation cwal (Faster build times)
black sheep wall (removes fog of war)
food for thought (Max supply)
i am iron man (does 1 of all upgrades. Was this starcraft 2?)
terribleterribledamage (god mode, starcraft 2)

And some Twisted metal codes, which I have forgotten

Green

Oct 27, 2017
RRTANGENTABACUS

pretty certain that unlocks all levels and pod racers on N64 Episode 1 Racer

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
POKE 35899,0

To enable endless lives in the ZX Spectrum game Jet Set Willy. The last time I played the game was over 30 years ago. The problem with this code though is it could get you into an infinite loop where you enter a room and die instantly, respawn and die ad infinitum.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, C, B, A.

Wonder if anyone knows what this is from.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
power overwhelming
show me the money
activate phase variance
black sheep wall
operation cwal

All from StarCraft 1.

bigdaddy

AOE1 (spawns the supercar with rockets)

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
rosebud (Sims 1)
motherlode (Sims 2-4)
kaching (Sims 3-4)
move_objects on (Sims 1-2)
moveobjects on (Sims 3-4)
boolprop testingCheatsEnabled true (Sims 2)
testingCheatsEnabled true (Sims 3-4)
been there done that (SimCopter)
gas really does grow on trees (SimCopter)
BIGDADDY (Age of Empires)

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I remember quite a few of Starcraft's:

power overwhelming - invincibility
operation cwal - made it so that buildings built nearly instantly
black sheep wall - revealed the entire map and disabled fog of war
the gathering - all units have unlimited energy
something for nothing - all upgrades
modify the phase variance - all buildings
food for thought - could build units beyond your current limit

There were more but that's just off the top of my head

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
From Rogue Squadron on the N64:

IGIVEUP - infinite lives
DEADDAK - Battle of Hoth
CHICKEN - secret level with AT-ST (I think)

Loved these as a kid.