• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was the best baby show?

• Muppet Babies

Votes: 163 23.1%
  • The Flintstones Kids

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • A Pup Named Scooby Doo

Votes: 88 12.4%
  • Tiny Toon Adventures

Votes: 254 35.9%
  • Tom & Jerry Kids

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Baby Looney Tunes

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • You shouldn't have put Tiny Toon Adventures in the poll. You're fucking the whole thing up.

Votes: 171 24.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
She's just doing the song how she was told to, I'm sure. (Never heard of her, just googled her), but where is the retro swinging funky clap beat? The production sucked the soul out of it.

The only thing I prefer from the original are the in-character vocals. I think both are good, even if the updated theme is more commercial by modern standards.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OgOSMRk.jpg

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does Pop-Eye & Son count? It wasn't baby Pop-Eye but it was still part of that "next generation" thing.

I guess it was a whole way of using existing properties to further a franchise. These days we have endless sequels, remakes and reboots of everything.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit. I had forgotten all about this. But somehow I knew all the words. WTF.

I loved this damn show. To the point that when I later first saw actual muppets, I hated them.
Memories are a strong thing. Sometimes they might get buried over time, but it takes that one right thing to bring them back into the surface. I'm like that with old commericals. Sometimes I'm playing one of those "80s Commericials Vol. -something-" and there will be a commercial I literally haven't seen since, maybe 1986 or 1987, and as soon as the song starts up, I'm LITERALLY singing the jingle or reciting the dialog, word for word, like I just saw this commercial a few seconds ago.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Memories are a strong thing. Sometimes they might get buried over time, but it takes that one right thing to bring them back into the surface. I'm like that with old commericals. Sometimes I'm playing one of those "80s Commericials Vol. -something-" and there will be a commercial I literally haven't seen since, maybe 1986 or 1987, and as soon as the song starts up, I'm LITERALLY singing the jingle or reciting the dialog, word for word, like I just saw this commercial a few seconds ago.

I remember all the lyrics from Pepsi commercial from 2000. It's a whole song about redeeming Pepsi Points. I cannot remember my SO's phone number, but I remember every word to this song. I just went looking for it and managed to find it, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61G_1p7m0vE

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Tom and Jerry kids was some garbage, none of the Tom & Jerry shows past the 1960s reached the original's pinnacle.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017

The more I think about the more I am like "WHOSE IDEA was to make a kid cartoon based on THAT"

They worked, though. Those cartoons were my first exposure to those properties and I was way into them, particularly Robocop and Toxic Crusaders. As a kid I was aware of these things and thought they were cool, but I was too young, so these were a way in.

There was an Aliens cartoon in the works too. Never made it to air but there was merchandise out there (I had the board game), and various bits have made it online.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that, I think it was more that our parents watched these shows and there was an instant connection there to their kids. For instance, I loved "The Muppet Show" but I'm sure the primary audience for the Muppet Babies had never watched the original talk show format or even the classic Movies.

Yeah, I vividly remember how weirded out I was when I found out that there were adult, non-baby versions of the Muppets.
I found them to be scary.

I'm realizing that I watched half the shows in the OP and I can't remember anything about them.

The fact that I spent hours upon hours upon hours upon hours watching kids shows like this and I have little to no recollection of anything about them is a major motivator to make sure that my kids have something better to do.

Last edited:

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Gotta go with that last option. Tiny Toon Adventures was actually good - all those other 'cartoon characters as babies' shows were hot garbage.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that, I think it was more that our parents watched these shows and there was an instant connection there to their kids. For instance, I loved "The Muppet Show" but I'm sure the primary audience for the Muppet Babies had never watched the original talk show format or even the classic Movies.

Like even today, I doubt many kids who watch Daniel Tiger realize the connection to Mister Rogers unless their parents made them watch the old show.

Yeah, I vividly remember how weirded out I was when I found out that there were adult, non-baby versions of the Muppets.
I found them to be scary.

Eh... I think it just sounds like the two of you (and admittedly probably most of Era at this point) are the age that you grew up with the tail end/reruns of Muppet Babies and were too young to make that connection, but the "primary audience" definitely grew up with both. Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppet Babies both came out in 1984. Anyone who was say, 7-11 or so in the mid 80's when the show was new totally grew up with the original 3 muppet movies, saw tons of Muppet Show reruns, and most importantly, grew up drinking out of these glasses:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget about when Rugrats did the inverse and aged up its baby characters for the spinoff All Grown Up

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Eh... I think it just sounds like the two of you (and admittedly probably most of Era at this point) are the age that you grew up with the tail end/reruns of Muppet Babies and were too young to make that connection, but the "primary audience" definitely grew up with both. Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppet Babies both came out in 1984. Anyone who was say, 7-11 or so in the mid 80's when the show was new totally grew up with the original 3 muppet movies, saw tons of Muppet Show reruns, and most importantly, grew up drinking out of these glasses:

I'm probably around the same age as you are (or at least the age you're talking about where I knew a lot about the Muppets), but I was also probably too old for whatever age the Muppet Babies were targeting.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, yeah, I didn't realize Muppet Babies first came out in 84. I was born in 86, so I was definitely on the late reruns when I was watching the show in the early 90s.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably around the same age as you are (or at least the age you're talking about where I knew a lot about the Muppets), but I was also probably too old for whatever age the Muppet Babies were targeting.

Eh, maybe you're right... I was 8 in 84 for the record. So I dunno. I think that was probably about the right age for who the original show was targeting. But then again, who knows, everything from the 80's is so far removed from what's considered appropriate for kids now it gets kind of tough to judge. I mean, in a time when Gremlins and Goonies were also aimed toward us, maybe Muppet Babies WAS meant for 6 year olds, I don't know.

Ok, yeah, I didn't realize Muppet Babies first came out in 84. I was born in 86, so I was definitely on the late reruns when I was watching the show in the early 90s.

Ah, yeah that's what I was guessing. 90's kids your age probably wouldn't know the original Muppets too well (until Muppet Christmas Carol came out, there was apparently an eight year movie gap before that). The original audience was probably about ten years older than you... not old enough to be your parents, but older enough to have some different touchstones including totally growing up with the original Muppets.

(Well, not really the original muppets, since they go back to the 60's)

We had a subscription to this, lol:

cf4fce475536d703c1406ef0eea7fbbb.jpg

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Eh, maybe you're right... I was 8 in 84 for the record. So I dunno. I think that was probably about the right age for who the original show was targeting. But then again, who knows, everything from the 80's is so far removed from what's considered appropriate for kids now it gets kind of tough to judge. I mean, in a time when Gremlins and Goonies were also aimed toward us, maybe Muppet Babies WAS meant for 6 year olds, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure the original show was aimed for the same 4-7 crowd the current show is aimed at. The difference in the shows says everything about how times have changed. :)

It reminds me that one of the best parts of the show (hey, I watched it with my brother) was how they would reference and even splice in stuff from Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I think that's one of the reasons a home release was hard to come by. I always thought it was odd that Piggy was Leia and Kermit was Luke considering their affection for one another and the fact that Return of the Jedi had already been released.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Tiny Toons Summer Vacation holds up. Cultural references coming nonstop that I had no shot of understanding as a kid now are hilarious to me.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Tiny Toons should not count. it was not babyfied at all. just a awesome continuation. Muppet Babies was best imo

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
someone quoted "elelator go dowwwwn" the other day at work and all I could do was laugh that a children's cartoon from thirty years ago is still in people's conscience enough to drop a random reference to it at work. Love you Tiny Toons.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
someone quoted "elelator go dowwwwn" the other day at work and all I could do was laugh that a children's cartoon from thirty years ago is still in people's conscience enough to drop a random reference to it at work. Love you Tiny Toons.

Damn, I had forgotten all about this until you just said it and then it came rushing back so vividly.

Megadragon15

Oct 27, 2017
Does some of the Superman Family Album sequences count from the 1988 Ruby-Spears Superman count? Here is a clip:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Reasonably certain this aired on the fucking BBC in the UK.

Think it was ITV, I'm sure it was a segment of one of their Saturday morning shows; I want to say Motormouth, but I'm not certain.

Edit: Oh good I've just noticed hour-long edited Motormouths (presumably with the licensed stuff edited out) on Youtube. I guess I know what I'm doing over the weekend!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think it was ITV, I'm sure it was a segment of one of their Saturday morning shows; I want to say Motormouth, but I'm not certain.

Edit: Oh good I've just noticed hour-long edited Motormouths (presumably with the licensed stuff edited out) on Youtube. I guess I know what I'm doing over the weekend!
Wiki says the Children's Channel. I have zero recollection of that.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You're fucking the whole thing up, FF. TTA is a better show than Pup Named Scooby Doo, but it doesn't belong in this category. Now votes that should go to the clear winner (Pup) are split between the best show (Tiny Toons) and chastising you.

You were the chosen one. You were meant to bring balance to the polls, not leave them in darkness.

Are we in a new era of babies? Are babies “back”? (Dec 30th, 2019)
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have been noticing a lot of Baby Discourse lately.

Are we in a new era of babyfication? With super popular characters like Baby Groot and Baby Yoda, plus novelty newcomers like Baby Sonic, not to mention the resurgence of Muppet Babies, who is next?

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
As a teenage I was annoyed at how Flintstone Kids fucked up the continuity set up in The Flintstones

Oct 26, 2017
When I was in high school I used to leave my TV on cartoon network 24/7 and i was never upset to catch Muppet babies in the morning