• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. To be honest, I think of 99% of the magazines I bought as completely disposable and unremarkable, even though I had fun going through them when younger.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Still have most of mine. Regret not subscribing sooner, everything before ~2000 or so is kinda spotty. Still have a bunch though.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I ironically still have all the PSM magazines I use to get for free.

Though they really dont mean anything to me now.

When you can get the info digitally, physical items dont seem as appealing to me anymore.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tossed any. I still have my Nintendo Power mags. They're just in storage boxes. I've wanted to sell them though, but the only valuable ones are the First and Final issues, and I only have the Final.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep. I had tons of old Nintendo Power and EGM. I threw them all away long ago and I really wish I kept them.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I still have all of my Nintendo Powers and a few GamePro's/EGM's(that I would get at the grocery store). As a kid, I was anal about the condition of my stuff, so I read the magazines to where I wouldn't be stressing the spine. I was a weird kid, but hey, my Nintendo Power's still look great lol.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Absolutely. Pre internet it was all I had. I remember reading stuff over and over again even for consoles I would never own. The Next Gen that had a big blowout on Mario 64 I probably read that feature over a 100 times and worked my ass off mowing lawns to buy a 64 and that game. I had a subscription to EGM off and on throughout my 10's-20's. Probably read EGM 100 cover to cover 50 times. Just read that shit before bed game magazines were my bed time routine.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Still have all my Nintendo Powers and GamePro mags from when I was a kid. My parents have been slowly sending them to me over the years, they're so fun to look back through. Especially those beefy December GamePro's that were like 400 pages (the Donkey Kong Country one comes to mind).

Oct 27, 2017
I had a huge stack in my parents' attic. Everyone summer when I came home I'd browse through them and it was surprisingly nostalgic. Last summer, though, I should them all go gaming shop. Probably made about $100 or something.

I don't regret it, but I will definitely miss it when I visit my parents again. I found lot of scans online so when I want to reminisce I can always browse through some digital versions.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Oh yeah totally miss them. After moving a few times and all, I've only got a couple left that I had packed with me like the first Dreamcast magazine issue. It was cool getting nearly all of them every month for nearly a decade. Except for like Tips and Tricks.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I thankfully have most of my Nintendo Power magazines that I first started getting monthly since 2004/5. I read them time to time and it's like a lovely time capsule. I did have an on and off subscription to Gamepro as well but those magazines were lost many many years ago, do wish I still had a couple of them.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I had a full set of The Official Dreamcast Magazines I threw away 7or 8 years ago when I moved that I wish I kept. Really liked the aesthetic of those. Still have the demo disks around somewhere.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Nope, I still have a full set of VG&CE.

Nice. I have a few.

AhU5UeA.jpg

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
I had a near complete collection of Weekly Famitsu from 1996 to 2000 when I lived in Japan, but ended up throwing them all away.

Looking back, they would make a solid collection piece...oh well.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Thankfully I kept all mine, I have a ton of EGMs, Nintendo Power and almost a complete set of Diehard GameFan.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Somewhat. I kept a handful like my first issue of GameInformer and if I really wanted to look through some old ones I'm sure there are scans of them online. Fun fact about the Gun cover issue from June or July 2005: Nioh is in there, being showed off at E3 2005 (for the first time maybe?).

Oct 28, 2017
No. Way too much clutter for something that would sit in a box and provide me with a 20 min nostalgia rush once every other year

Sold all my old Nintendo Powers and never looked back

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a huge stack of EGM, OPM, OXM that I tossed earlier this year. No regrets. I did however keep my issues of GMR. Since it was such a short lived magazine I had nearly the entire run.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I had to get rid of mine due to water damage, but I think I would be annoyed by the amount of space they would take up if I still had them.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to have them around to pop them open once in a while but you end up with so much stuff once you have a family that there's not a great way to do it.

the more threads like this, the better:

www.resetera.com

Let's read old EDGE magazines (1993 to 2000)

In continuation of the previous thread, further issues of old Edge magazines have been uploaded to the internet archives (1993 to 2000, issues #1 to 92). Edit: all credit goes to the uploader DURiAN! under cc. I hope this thread can stay open and is allowed - if not, please close. These old...
All hail the internet archive.

Nov 13, 2017
I regret tossing a few Nintendo Powers, mostly because of those sweet sweet beta screenshots of N64 games, as well as import games that never came to the west.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
For a few years I had a yearly subscription to PC Gamer UK. That excitement when the months' new edition dropped in the postbox was palpable. Also often bought GamesMaster which was a great mag and Amiga Format long before that. You'll never be able to replicate the feeling of getting a new edition and diving in to find the newest gaming news.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I had an EGM that had a red primarly color for the cover and was real thick. It had a top 100 games of all time list that I would re-read a LOT and honestly many times I wish I still had it to sift through.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, they're bulky. Plenty of people have scanned/kept 2000s Game Informer anyways.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
No, not at all. Though, if I did have a choice now, I'd have hung onto some Nintendo Power since nostalgia holds a lot of sway over me these days, what with the world ending and all.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Recycled my Nintendo power years ago.
Still have a good portion of my game players/ultra game players mags. I think some of the early ones got recycled but i can't remember for sure. I wouldn't mind a high quality digital copy of the whole run of issues. That magazine is something special and way ahead of its time. The personalities, in jokes and secrets hidden within the magazine itself are still unmatched.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yep. Had Nintendo Powers from like 1994-2002. Had early Game Pros and PC Gamer magazines. EGM, PC Accelerator, etc. I don't remember why I purged my shelves.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I still have them. I'm kinda glad most of them went out of publication as I don't really have the room to collect them anymore.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I never tossed them, but I suspect my parents did. They swear up and down that they are somewhere in our basement, but I haven't turned up anything.

Within those collections, there's EGM issues 3-120
GamePro issues 2-100
A ton of GameFan issues.
A bunch of Game Players and VG&CE mags. I remember when Game Players first showed off Mega Man 2. I was so hyped for it.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I had to a few years ago when my folks made me dump out a bunch of stuff that was still in storage at their home. It was sad to lose so many beautiful Next Generations.. also had some pretty cool PC Gamers including the first Duke Nukem Forever preview, lol.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of space they would take up isn't worth it for the once or twice a year I'd look at them. Can't keep everything forever, some things deserve their place as fond memories

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Tossing? Hell no

I have all of them right here since early 2000's

So many gems. Here in Brazil we had some really good publications.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, mine were all cut up as I used to make a collage of characters etc to put on my walls as poster. Covers were often first to be snipped, but plenty of adverts and articles on the other side of images got cut too.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Majorly, majorly so.

Im in Australia and grabbed a few overseas magazines from time to time like EGM, GamePro, PC Zone, Mean Machines Sega, etc but what i mostly focused on were the Australian magazines such as Hyper and MegaZone.

I had so many issues of MegaZone, and looked forward to it each month. So exciting to hear the latest news on games. I still collected it the end when they switched to just Sega stuff but then the main crew started up Hyper magazine and I got the first issue and collected it for years until the internet just started becoming more widespread.

Then for whatever foolish reason I thought i didn't need all my magazines anymore which I had collected up over the years and put posters from them on my walls and so forth. Like they were about all old games right? Dont care about that stuff anymore, supposedly.

Now I really wish I held onto them. Would be great to re read various news, interviews, previews and reviews from the time and see how people were wowed by certain graphics and so forth.