• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
For me I kinda regret not buying an N64 because of Conker and everyone seems to go insane over Goldeneye which was never part of my Childhood. I owned a Sega Master System 2 and I saved up my savings and finally purchased a PlayStation in 1999. I also really regret not owning a Dreamcast but I couldn't afford more than one console because my parents said I had to earn it so it took me years to buy anything when I was a child.

Recently I would say Xbox One, but there's Xbox One games on PC now.

Are there any consoles you wished you had played on or owned? It doesn't have to be childhood it can be more recent or even current gen.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I'd say the oXbox. I didn't get it during its meager 4-year lifecycle as I had some of its games on PC and I really didn't like the controllers' feel (both kinds).
Though I did end up with one later on to understand the concept of love and other exclusive games on it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 has so many games ill never get to play like 3D Dot Heroes and JJASB

And OG bulky ones had full backwards compatibility, which is impossible to get now :/

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Neo-Geo.
I imagine what it would like playing an arcade perfect ports in your living room in the early 90s.
That price tag though............

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, very much.
There is no official presence of Nintendo in my country and I really really missed playing all these metroid and zelda.
We used a cheap russian knockoff of NES.

Oct 26, 2017
Neo Geo would have been cool to have. And maybe a Dreamcast in its short heyday. Not a console but would have loved to have been in on Commodore 64 and Amiga back in the day.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ps1, Vita and Dreamcast.

I didn't have a ps2. But in that case, I regret buying gamecube. I should have bought the ps2 and just sold the gamecube.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I regret selling my X and Switch, but that's only because of my busy work / life balance plus having a very active 2 year old that most of my time is taken up.

I gave up AC Odyssey because of the ridiculous amount of content. I will pick up the revised Switch model over Xmas though.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Regret not having the XB360 and PS3. Only had Wii at the time and the only reason I even had it was because my parents bought it for Wii Sports and Brain age academy. Just so many games that I never got to play at that time.

Oct 28, 2017
I regret not keeping my PS4 after going to PC gaming. No Red Dead Redemption 2 and the Last of Us 2 on the horizon is making me consider getting a pro, or waiting for the PS5.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I had a period of some years where I didn't game while bringing up a family,this was around the PS2 years so I never owned one,I've owned all the other Playstation's.
Luckily I was able to play games I'd missed that interested me on my PS3 when Sony did a lot of remasters like GOW 1&2,Ico,Shadow of the Colossus,Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper so that was great last gen.
No real regrets though,I had a lot more fun bringing up my young daughters than I would have had playing video games,lol.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
PC-Engine back in the day

To be fair it was not easy to buy games in the UK, and there's no way I could have afforded the additional console.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Wii, bro owned it for a few months then swapped his Wii for an Xbox 360 with his mate and then that 360 for a ps3 with another mate ahaha.

But I didnt get to finish Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime and Zelda TP :(

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I never owned a PS1. While I absolutely dislike most of the original production of the PS2, 3 and 4, the PS1 had some games which I really wished I played back in the days.
A friend lent me one for a few months around 98 with games like Brave Fencer, Einhander and so on, and it was absolutely awesome, but I never bought one myself.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Only the original PS1 as the n64 drought felt bad and the lack of RPGs. Otherwise I have kind of gotten the consoles I missed out. Planning to get a Saturn once the plug and play no CD play is available. Also a PCengine in the future.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
Sega Saturn, was crazy expensive when I came across it during a pawn shop find. Still feels like future tech, that I still want to take a hold of.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I owned an N64 and jumped back in with Ps3. I have a Switch today.

Those are the only 3 consoles I've owned. I got enough Ps1 usage back in the days. Every family friend had a Ps1 and we had an N64 😂

Haven't regretted not owning any others tbh.

The only game I feel I've missed out on and do want to play some day is Shadow of the Colossus.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
At the time, no, but in hindsight definitely the Saturn and upgrading my Amiga to a 1200. Had the opportunity to get both for cheap and turned them down.

Lavatein

Sep 14, 2019
All the consoles are still out there in some form. If I ever get a strong urge to play one of them I can just go buy one.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I would love to had a Neo Geo AES back in the nineties but that was just for very, very rich people in my country (in fact I didn't knew anyone and I haven't meet someone with that experience here even to this day).

My dream setup in the nineties is Neo Geo + X68000, haha.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
These days I buy pretty much all the consoles, so no regrets for current gen stuff.

I do regret not getting the Dreamcast I desperately wanted as a birthday present back then. Seeing MK Gold and Shenmue running on it in a friend's house, I was sold. Lots of fun moments playing Ready 2 Rumble Round 2.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I regret not getting a Dreamcast, I never expected Sega to say "goodbye" so soon.

Also, I believed PS2 was going to deliver deliver Toy Story graphics...

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I would have liked to have a 360. I had a PS3, which was amazing as well.

Almost every game I wanted to play is already on Xbox One, but I would have liked to try it. I'm not sure I have ever used one!

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Of the big three I only ever missed out on the og Xbox. I was primarily a Nintendo and Playstation kid but Halo 3 videos made me get an Xbox 360 and it made me prefer Xbox and Nintendo. I would've loved to play Halo CE and 2 in its heyday but I'm glad I experienced Halo 3 online and the birth of XBL Arcade.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Right now i'm starting to regret not having a Switch. I was bummed out it turned out to be a handheld and therefore another underpowered Home console for TV.
Also, waaaayy too many ports of (awesome) WiiU titles (that i own).

But there are enough great games on it now and i think we'll buy one soon.

XboxOneX.. too few exclusives. But some i'd love to play. I do not regret not buying it though. MS fucked up this gen imo. They are recovering.

Sep 14, 2019
I kind of wish I grew up on Playstation. I had a Wii as my first console, and it was really the only console I played a lot of for a long time. But the Wii's games, while they were good, aren't really applicable to the kind of tastes I have now. So I kind of wish I grew up with Playstation 2 or something, to maybe have a bit more knowledge about some of the games I missed out on.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
SNES
Saturn

That's a about it. Strangely I don't regret never owning a PS4, despite loving all previous PlayStation consoles... I guess it's because I largely stopped playing games this gen, and since the PS5 will be backwards compatible, I can play any PS4 games I missed on that, in better quality too.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Neo-Geo.
I imagine what it would like playing an arcade perfect ports in your living room in the early 90s.
That price tag though............
This so much. Used to play the demo machine at my game rental store but just couldn't afford one.

No, but I regret selling my Dreamcast.

Dreamcast and Genesis are the two consoles I regretted selling and had to reacquire. Even have a backup DC in case one dies.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
N64 definitely. My mind would have gotten blown out if I had experienced Mario 64 or OoT for sure

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted an OG Xbox. Still do for that PGR goodness. But there is some fuckery with components that need replacing or they'll explode?

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Wiiu tbh, looked like a massive failure at first (and likely was financially) but the amount of gems and Homebrew capabilities are legit awesome.

Also back when I was a kid, it's not really a console but Amiga. Not sure if it's an eu thing but everyone and their mother had one, while I just stuck with my 286

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't regret not owning any particular console because I wasn't interested in the games at the time, and I'm okay with that.

The only thing I would say is that I wish that I were more into certain consoles when they were cheap and used games were plentiful and inexpensive at GameStop. In particular, PS1, PS2, and Xbox games (i.e. all that SEGA Xbox goodness). Nowadays there's a bunch of games on those systems that I would love to have and play, but I just didn't know or care about them at the time.

I did learn, though (e.g. I picked up Gradius V and Ikaruga for $3-$5 each)... But it was a little too late.

Nov 8, 2017
I somewhat regret switching to PC gaming around 1997 and selling my PS1. I enjoyed a few PC games (most notably Blood and Unreal), but PC gaming really wasn't for me, and so I spent most of my PC gaming time playing emulators. I switched back to console gaming after buying my PS2 and Wii in 2007 and never looked back.

So I basically missed half the PS1 generation and nearly all of the PS2 generation.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Last console I bought was xbox 360 in 2006 with Dead Rising. I regret selling the Hard Drive for like 20 bucks, now I have a copy of Deadly Premonition a friend handed to me and I can't play until I get another HDD.