• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you?

• Yes

Votes: 88 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 660 88.2%

• Total voters

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I dont really get people who dont replay if they lose heavily. Arent these matchups the ones where you can learn the most? I usually try to at least have three matches with everyone i find, just for completions sake i guess. Doesnt matter if i get perfect all six rounds.In fact trying not to becomes my motivation to keep playing, depending on the match even winning a round or landing a few hits can be satisfying.
Depends, sometimes you lose heavily but see a small window of opportunity to learn. Many times you don't, like the rival exploiting certain moves that put you in a corner and barely can move. That is not fun 20 times in a row. I have played against some guy on Samsho with a 97% w/l ratio. It is just not fun. He always uses the same character too. He has like thousands of wins in a row. It would be fun if he relaxed every now and then
I'm not great, but when i find people below my level, i still try to win, but let them 'enjoy' the fight instead of going after 'perfects'.
A few days ago i won 40 in a row vs a random player, but each time he learned a bit more, and more, and many of my wins weren't easy in the latest matches. He hopefully learned a few tricks, and had a good time. I did too.

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have very rarely but its always because the net code is complete shit.

Nothing pisses me off more than a laggy teleporting bullshit match where the opponent knows how shit their connection is and so just jumps all over the goddammit place hitting random buttons while popping in and out of existence.

I feel justified in those situations cause that's not a legit match in any sense. You weren't better than me you just exploit awful netcode for an undeserved victory. Fuck you.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
The only fighting games I play online are MK11 and Smash. I've never rate quit in the former but for Smash I do sometimes kill myself.

I do that when the lag is horrible or if the other player is tea bagging.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I dont really get people who dont replay if they lose heavily. Arent these matchups the ones where you can learn the most? I usually try to at least have three matches with everyone i find, just for completions sake i guess. Doesnt matter if i get perfect all six rounds.In fact trying not to becomes my motivation to keep playing, depending on the match even winning a round or landing a few hits can be satisfying.
When I get destroyed to a point in which I just couldn't land a hit on the other player, I feel like I'm wasting not only my time, but the other person as well. So I see it as an act of courtesy of saying "look, I didn't have fun and you could get a bigger challenge playing the AI on easy, see ya".

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
No, even when I'm matched against someone vastly better, which is 9 out of 10 times I always try to put up a fight. Matches are lightning fast anyways and it's not like I'm loosing any time.

I do quit in Magic The Gathering because those games take ages and when the opponent just dumps a million card combo on the board, he has already won and there's in no point in fighting back, but that's a forfeit which grants him the win and not a alt+f4 quit.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
No, honestly don't remember the last time I got angry while playing a game...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play fighting games online lol. If I did though, I absolutely would because I suck so bad at them

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
When I get destroyed to a point in which I just couldn't land a hit on the other player, I feel like I'm wasting not only my time, but the other person as well. So I see it as an act of courtesy of saying "look, I didn't have fun and you could get a bigger challenge playing the AI on easy, see ya".

maybe thats a matter of viewpoint then. i can find fun even when im being outclassed by other people. i try to think of different stuff to do so the gap isnt that big. doesnt work often cause i suck, but i still enjoy it anyway. plus if the other person wasnt having fun too they can just not rematch.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. But I'll totally do the thing where if you keep getting your ass beat, and you win one, you quit on that note.

_illmatic_

Jan 8, 2018
Naw, I don't rage quit. I try to learn what the hell is going on that the person is kicking my ass so bad.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In fighting games no. Even if I am getting my ass handed to me I stay because it is still a learning experience to figure out match-ups.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Grandma always said: "why ragequit when you could be the reason others ragequit?"
ThinkingGradualAwesome.gif

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I don't think I ever have. And if I have, I sure hope my friends call me out on it at some point lol.

At least when it comes to fighting games, I usually try to keep playing and playing and wonder why my opponent is just dunking the shit out of me

Nakazato

Oct 25, 2017
If a connection is bad I wont rage quit I'll just take the L. Getting mad someone is better than you isn't worth getting mad over

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I remember raging off on Tekken 3 Eddy button mashers in the arcade back in the day. I couldn't counter Eddy at all and they would just button mash and win easily. It was pretty frustrating losing quarters to those players.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, I may get frustrated at an L sometimes but not to the point i'd ever rage quit.

May 15, 2019
If their connection is god awful I'll leave because I don't want them to gain rank (at least in the games where a disconnect does this like Smash Bros) but I've never rage quit in a fighting game just from being outplayed. I used to get mad in Overwatch when I'd feel like my team was letting me down, but in a fighter I know it's entirely my fault and just strive to improve from the situation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really ragequit, but I don't see much of a point in fighting against someone who will beat me so badly I don't even get to attack once. I just surrender and try to fight against someone else.

Online fighting game matchmaking is such bullshit it's honestly not even worth doing anymore, though, so I barely even touch the genre these days.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Only once, which resulted in destroying my ps3 controller

As a diehard KOF fan, FUCK KOFXII

Haven't done it before or since.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I have very rarely but its always because the net code is complete shit.

Nothing pisses me off more than a laggy teleporting bullshit match where the opponent knows how shit their connection is and so just jumps all over the goddammit place hitting random buttons while popping in and out of existence.

I feel justified in those situations cause that's not a legit match in any sense. You weren't better than me you just exploit awful netcode for an undeserved victory. Fuck you.
especially if they play Ken.

... Wait..
Nope. But I'll totally do the thing where if you keep getting your ass beat, and you win one, you quit on that note.
lol
Online fighting game matchmaking is such bullshit it's honestly not even worth doing anymore,
you keep saying this but I'm yet to see the evidence. Which games?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
you keep saying this but I'm yet to see the evidence. Which games?

Every fighting game I've played this generation has terrible matchmaking. Getting forced up against assholes multiple ranks ahead of me isn't fun. It happened repeatedly in DBFZ, and that's the last game I bothered spending money on.

Jul 3, 2019
Any competitive online game I don't even bother with anymore. I don't put the time into the game to get good enough at it cuz it just means I'm going to get bodied a lot and it just makes me mad lol.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Every fighting game I've played this generation has terrible matchmaking. Getting forced up against assholes multiple ranks ahead of me isn't fun. It happened repeatedly in DBFZ, and that's the last game I bothered spending money on.
Multiple ranks? Dbfz has the option to match with people of similar rank or specifically higher rank. So on similar rank, as a Saibaman, you may be matched with an Earthling (the next rank up), which isn't a big increase in skill level.

I went 17 matches in a row without a win in DBFZ but that wasn't due to matchmaking. I don't like to say it without seeing it, but perhaps the issue is you? And this isn't some "git gud" nonsense, I'm genuinely saying I've played every major fighting game this generation, and I just don't see what you say. It happens in soulcalibur nowadays, but I haven't seen it or heard it mentioned as some widespread thing in other games like you make it seem.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple ranks? Dbfz has the option to match with people of similar rank or specifically higher rank. So on similar rank, as a Saibaman, you may be matched with an Earthling (the next rank up), which isn't a big increase in skill level.

I went 17 matches in a row without a win in DBFZ but that wasn't due to matchmaking. I don't like to say it without seeing it, but perhaps the issue is you? And this isn't some "git gud" nonsense, I'm genuinely saying I've played every major fighting game this generation, and I just don't see what you say. It happens in soulcalibur nowadays, but I haven't seen it or heard it mentioned as some widespread thing in other games like you make it seem.

I was matched against Super Saiyan Blue players at least three times when I was nowhere close to Super Saiyan Blue.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yes only if someone is using the scummy sobbing characters in mortal kombat or injustice

other then that, nah

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
If the connection is horrible, it does not count as a rage-quit. I call it a sanity-quit.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think you need to make a distinction between the intentional rank saving disconnect weirdos and actually quitting because game make you angry

for instance i would never quit to save rank but i do the equivalent of alt f4'ing on most video games because i am an angry bad gamer

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the 10% of people who voted yes would comment on it. Assuming they didn't vote yes to simply quitting a laggy match.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's lagging to hell and unranked then yea. Otherwise never. I'm not a sore loser. I'll eat my losses like an adult and move on