• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favorite side of Star Wars?

• Mystic

Votes: 132 30.4%
  • Sci-fi

Votes: 132 30.4%
  • Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Votes: 170 39.2%

• Total voters

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wondering what your favorite element of Star Wars is? The more mystic elements of the Force and the Jedi, or the harder sci-fi stuff of ships and lasers?

I often see people comment and debate on the mysticism of the setting and was just curious.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing really sci-fi about Star Wars. The whole series could've been about knights, pirates or WWII, and the story would've functioned the same.

It's not like the most high concept episode of Star Trek, where the actual conflict of the story, is dependent on futuristic technologies and scenarios.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Both. But, I think the mystic side is what sets it apart from other sci-fi properties and gives weight to the story and universe.

So the mystic side. Fantasy side.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Sci Fi. I'm actually super over the whole light side and dark side struggle.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's the mix that makes it work, but they focus too much on Jedi/Sith stuff.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd vote for the sci-fi. Obviously it's not "hard sci-fi," but I grew up on games like Tie Fighter and Dark Forces, so I don't really care if the mysticism is left at the door. To me Star Wars is at its best when it's mired in space grunge.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why not both? Space is cool. Wizards are cool. Space Wizards are therefore cool.

I probably lean more towards the mystic side of Star Wars, but I enjoy the mix of the two. I feel like that's what make it Star Wars. That combination.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys I said "harder" I know this isn't uber realistic hard sci-fi but the distinction I'm trying to make should be pretty clear.

Pew laser and vroom ships or ghosts and magic fuckery.

Or both. That's cool too.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Star Wars is more science-fantasy than science-fiction. But I think it'd be the space ships and stuff part, cause in the end, the mystical stuff is kinda wish wash and bland. It could be more interesting, and I've seen it be in stuff like Knights of the Old Republic 2, but in the movies it's played up straight black and white which is not interesting to me.

Also, the lasers of Star Wars are really, very, un-hard sci-fi. They have weirdly slow travel time, they go in small projectiles, holy hell, in The Last Jedi they fucking arc!
qTSuxhU.png

Like lasers were old-timey artillery! And if they are "plasma" or whatever, still an arc in weightless space!

Last edited:

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all being nit picky af about sci fi. For real? Space ships, laser swords, laser guns, light speed travel, all kinds of aliens and other planets.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really have a preference because both are needed to make Star Wars work.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I like an emphasis on the dirty, broken tech, western-influenced sci-fi setting with hints of mysticism mixed in.
Kinda like the first movie, and The Mandalorian.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Y'all being nit picky af about sci fi. For real? Space ships, laser swords, laser guns, light speed travel, all kinds of aliens and other planets.

I think the criticism is that it's lacking in the Science part of Science Fiction. Science Fiction is generally defined by having some grounding in realistic concepts. In much of Star Wars, it's closer to Fantasy than Sci Fi. Science Fiction doesn't just mean anything in outer space or the future, there's a more nuanced definition.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The fantasy aspects of Star Wars are the best part, it's what truly makes the the world special.

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars in high fantasy set in space. I'm not looking for tech or hard Sci-fi like in BSG or The Expanse. My only bar for the sci-fi is it to be plausible in the established universe.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I think the criticism is that it's lacking in the Science part of Science Fiction. Science Fiction is generally defined by having some grounding in realistic concepts. In much of Star Wars, it's closer to Fantasy than Sci Fi. Science Fiction doesn't just mean anything in outer space or the future, there's a more nuanced definition.
Let's say you're 100% right. You still know what the question is asking though, right?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars is science fantasy first. George has said this. With that said, fantasy and the mystic is where it shines for me. Star Wars is at its best when shit gets weird and I want more of it.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars needs both

I mean, isn't the lightsaber proof of that?

It's a cool sci-fi laser sword that is only effective because its wielders have mystic force powers

Nov 8, 2017
There's nothing really sci-fi about Star Wars. The whole series could've been about knights, pirates or WWII, and the story would've functioned the same.

What you're describing could be true about almost all scifi ever made. Scifi is an aesthetic.

Right from Ep4 we have droids getting memory wiped, a plot revolving around stolen schematics for a superweapon, ftl stuff, whatever. Psionics (the force) are a staple of pulp scifi and is also heavily featured in star trek.

It's even the case that most episodes of trek could be easily converted to fantasy. Even classics like Measure of a Man could trivially be converted into a story about whether or not a sophisticated Golem should enjoy the priveliges afforded to the other Noble Soldiers of the King. Any godlike aliens? Just advanced wizards. Precursor civilisation archaeology? Ez mode. Klingon episodes? No effort required.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So is this whole "Star wars isn't REAL sci-fi" just some gatekeeping shit again?

Star Wars needs both

It's a cool sci-fi laser sword that is only effective because its wielders have mystic force powers

This is the correct answer, wonderful example.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Star Wars needs both

The flash sticks doesn't really seem to care though. :P
giphy.gif

So is this whole "Star wars isn't REAL sci-fi" just some gatekeeping shit again?
Well, ask some fantasy fans if Conan the Barbarian is the same kind of fantasy as Lord of the Rings. Same deal here.

Some people prefer hard science-fiction like The Expanse and have a definition for that.
Others like science-fantasy like Warhammer 40K or Star Wars and look for that.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Well, ask some fantasy fans if Conan the Barbarian is the same kind of fantasy as Lord of the Rings. Same deal here.

Some people prefer hard science-fiction like The Expanse and have a definition for that.
Others like science-fantasy like Warhammer 40K or Star Wars and look for that.

Oh yeah, I get people debating the genre nuance of hard sci-fi vs. sci-fi, or high fantasy vs. fantasy.

But some people scoffing at the notion that Star Wars is sci-fi is just dumb.