• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
straight forward question, which model of C64 do you prefer? The breadbin:

DSCF9336.jpg

or the C64c:

Commodore_C64C.JPG

The C64c was released to update the look of the C64 to match that of the Amiga line of computers, sort of like how the Atari 8-bit got a refresh to match the Atari ST. Personally, I think the breadbin is one of the most awesome looking computers ever, especially with the coffee-brown keyboard. That said, these crystal C64c cases are amazing:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It always threw me a bit that the original C64 was called the breadbin. That'd be a really shit breadbin design.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I had the bread-bin so I'm biased. But it's the original and iconic design. The follow-up looked more modern and Amiga-like, but also rather generic and bland.

Also love how the additional key commands were on the underside of each key on the original keyboard. I bet that added some cost to production.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
The C64c looks like it'd break if a stiff breeze caught it. You could kill a man with the breadbin-model. That's why I have two of them.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
THe C64c looks loads better after being in a smokers room for 20 years. That think yellow nicotine stain really adds to the authentic look!

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I love both, and the breadbin is the most iconic. But I had a C64c, and my nostaliga is too strong for me not to prefer that one.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Id say the breadbin is the iconic look, but I prefer and owned the C64c model. I am a bit Amiga biased ;-)

Masterblaster

Nov 13, 2017
Breadbin all the way. Was my first computer. And the design and the memories hold a special place in my heart. So special in fact that it inspired me to design a RPI3 case for it just to remember my roots :D

Ix5HUfk.png

blXQkX8.png

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Now I feel all funny and nostalgic for my youth, spending endless hours typing in programs.

POKE 53280,12: POKE 53281,11: POKE 646,15
(RESETERA DARK THEME)

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Definitely breadbin. I have a boxed one in mint condition in the loft. I'm sure the kids will appreciate it when I pop my clogs...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Never knew there were multiple models (although it makes complete sense).

The breadbin is the model I know. I had one friend at school with a c64. It wasn't quite as rare as the NES but not far off, it wasn't a common thing to see at friends houses. C64c looks like the Amiga which was common, it was the next step for kids who had a Spectrum and stayed with the computer path rather than consoles.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I love both.. BUT, the breadbin is what got me started on this hobby... I had a C16 and a Vic-20 before (my father even had a Pong Machine and one of the first Atari machines), but the C64 Breadbin is what really started the fire in me.
I still remember when my big brother bought our first breadbin.. we went through all the tapes that was with the machine, and some of the first games we played were Uridium, Cauldron and Commando.. I was in love.. The breadbin will forever remind me of that day.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard it called the breadbin before, that's hilarious but that's the one I had so it's definitely my preferred model.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Breadbin is the better design, as someone else said the 64c looks a bit too much like the a500, that said, the modded cases for the 64c are absolute things of beauty.

65-5000-c64-c64c-transparent-clear_1_51520ee2b36f9a128fdfaf34133a80ee.jpg

Nov 8, 2017
I prefer the breadbin, but probably just because it's the one I grew up with. I didn't even know of the newer design until pretty recently.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I had the revised C version myself, but the "bread bin" was the Commodore 64. It's what I think of when I think of a C64.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I'm fondest of the C64c's design because that's the one I owned as a kid.

That said, I'll be receiving my C64 Mini today, so perhaps I'll ultimately warm up to the classic breadbin look.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I had the C4c, my friend when I was a kid had the original, so I have seen & used both.

I will never forget being 7/8yrs old playing games like Bionic Commando, Bruce Lee, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Pyjamarama and Ghostbusters & begging my parents for my own C64, which I got for Christmas 5 months before my 9th Birthday. It was the One in the 2nd pic, so it to me it looked sleeker than my friends (not that I knew that word back then) We figured out from the Manual the simple code that let you PRINT "Any Word" GOTO and then Run etc that copied the word all over the screen until you pressed a key to make it stop, we thought this was amazing.

I was about 9.5yrs Old when I had the courage to code my first full page program and I believe it was the Guessy game from either the Manual or a Magazine, okay I was only copying word for word, but it still went wrong as I miskeyed a few bits so had to go through it & find out which characters were mistyped. But I felt like a grown up, I had just programmed my own game I thought at 9 and a half years oldšŸ¤£

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
64C. The original breadbin design was IMO about as stylish as an actual breadbin as well as just being a lazy rehash of the VIC 20's case in a worse colour.