• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you prefer leaked information or official information when a company is ready to talk?

• GIMME DEM SWEET SWEET LEAKS!

Votes: 367 43.3%
  • I'm a patient person, I can wait for info to be provided when the time is right

Votes: 480 56.7%

• Total voters

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Leaks are just information that was meant to come later but has come sooner. So leaks anyday of the week. At the end of the day you can simplify it to whether you want information to come sooner or later.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nothing beats a completely unexpected surprise. Although I won't deny I wasn't frothing at the mouth when Project Beast (Bloodborne) footage started dropping. To be fair, most leaks we get nowadays aren't nearly as substantial as that. I legit don't remember the last time we had a game leak with snippets of gameplay, maybe that next-gen Harry Potter game?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I prefer reveals with less than a year to go until release, with well managed info over time. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy leaks though =)

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
If an announcement is worthwhile and executed correctly it doesn't matter if it leaks in advance.

Does a significant other feel any less excited to see you propose because they know you've been talking about marriage? I don't think so.

The worst is when companies just give up because a secret leaks. Movies are known about sometimes years in advance and that first trailer can still be special.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love leaks unless it's right before E3 or something like that. That just takes the fun and hype out of the big events if some random twitter account tells the world that anticipated game x is getting announced a few days later

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer official information but I sometimes also read leaks, provided they don't spoil anything.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
depends honestly. im ok with leaks for the most part unless its like the plot of a game.

I stay away from all sites once it a couple days from E3 tho because I dont wanna know everything that is going to be shown.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
it depends, i wouldnt want a game to leak 2 weeks before its revealed, or an entire E3 lineup to get leaked, but stuff that are more far away like the harry potter leak, or learning about a rough game development so i should temper my expectations for news soon are fine by me.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Leaks are only fun when its vague and not detailed and legit. It's awful when it ruins a surprise announcement in the following week or so.

Leaks that are huge info dumps takes the fun out of it. If you're gonna provide that much information, it's better to just wait for the actual announcement.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I like the mystery around leaks, its fascinating to hear about things that are supposed to be secret and speculate around them.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think carefully prepared reveals for E3, a Nintendo Direct or whatever else are way more hype-inducing for me, despite the occasional misfire.
The last E3 was pretty boring in that regard. Way too much stuff was known.

Obviously, yeah, this is all nothing but advertising. But eh, sometimes I like videogame advertising.

But this is only about game reveals. When it comes to console hardware rumors or working conditions at a particular company... Sure, go ahead.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I'm not a big fan of leaks, I can wait, and they can be harmful. I prefer announcements through official channels.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (3 days): inflammatory generalisations and vilifying journalism
idk. i dont think i like leaks. Because half the time the stuff aint true. And it seems a little scummy when kotaku is always leaking stuff. Gaming has gotten so gossipy....ppl snitching on themselves. For what? What do they get out of it. Is jason shrier paying them all that sweet kotaku money? doubt it. whats the endgame. Get caught and fired? So when u DM kotaku....they just send u a shrug emoji back lol

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I don't really care either way. The games industry has an odd obsession with secrecy. Movies are announced years before they even have a teaser trailer. Script and casting details and set/costume photos are revealed soon after. None of these things have ever caused a movie to fail or otherwise be less enjoyable.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything seems to get leaked these days, so it's hard for me to make that call.

Then there's leaks and "leaks".

So who cares, I guess?

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Leaks all the way.

Developers/publishers always tease way too long. I'm sick of announcements for countdowns for announcements of teasers etc.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter. I wish companies didn't have to be hush hush about things all the time but I understand why they do it as gamers can't be trusted not to lose thier shit if any info they find doesn't match the final product.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten quite tired of the leak and insider culture -- especially surrounding Nintendo releases -- and the specific brand of hype and speculation that follows it. All these pointless debates and shit slinging: could it be this, could it be that, this person is definitely trustworthy, no they're not, going way too far in trying to verify things that are only months away, leakers complaining about people complaining about leakers not getting things right đź‘€

So I generally try to ignore it. I've got that next Nintendo direct guessing game thread hidden as well as all similar threads, because once things start to heat up they're constantly at the top of the feed. Announcements will happen when they happen.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I prefer proper reveals over leaks, mainly out of consideration for developers and those responsible for marketing. It's hard work and having to reschedule everything can be a pain.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Wait, why did so many people vote for leaks. They're soooo anti climatic and often misleading. Y'all nuts up in here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good leaks are great, they hype thread for project beasts were awesome. On the other hand the trifecta of TLG, FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 not leaking was also great.

So I like both.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm not really a fan of leaks, I love the excitement of getting a surprise reveal that leaves me thinking about said reveal for the whole day. SFV Season 3 characters were leaked with hints, yeah, but we had no idea they'd reveal them all at the same time with a hype af video, so that was amazing to watch.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like extensive leaks with photos and videos of internal things getting leaked out, these leaks can affect hundreds of developers by showcasing a product in a bad light and cause internal turmoil by changing how they wanted to show their work, along with the immense disappointment the entire team might have with the fact that they didn't get to talk about their product in the way they wanted.

I think the Assassins Creed Unity leaks were disgusting and Kotaku should be ashamed of running that story in the way they did under the excuse of "Someone else would just do it if not us", have some fucking respect for the people out there making these things and report on things that actually matter like workplace conditions and job security on the industry.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
It depends.

I wish a leak from Retro Studios, since they're never ready to talk.

Retro is actually a perfect example of why leaks are bad. Since they've been having development issues and potentially canceled projects, it reduces community disappointment if the community wasn't teased with something that never became a reality.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Leaks, I despise marketing drip feeds (especially for crap like announcing a season pass and then expecting people to buy it without knowing everything that's in it, something that fighting game developers just love to do). If it's for something that didn't come from a place of manufactured hype and was a complete surprise without any annoying, useless announcement of announcement teases, then I don't mind not knowing ahead of time.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
As this is a discussion board,you really can't beat a good leak to get a great discourse going.
'Project Beast' is a great example......that was nuts and I was only a lurker back then.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Leaks suck as they could be faked, paint the wrong picture. Remember the Apex Legends thread here a few days before it was officially announced? People were raging hardcore over a picture or two and behold: 50 million players and a game people appreciate.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish leakers would have more empathy. Not everyone gets to play games on day one. How hard is it to put spoiler tags? It only takes two seconds! There's nothing worse than going into an off topic thread and some asshat spoils an unreleased game.

It's like having information before it's publicly released gives them a license to be a jerk on the internet!

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the official company announcements.

Leaks, while hype, are usually just writings. Official stuff comes with a trailer and pictures most of the times and offer a better defined picture of what's to come.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Depends entirely on the company.

Nintendo, for example is pretty open most of the time and has directs be bigger events for announcements, I'd prefer them not to be leaked.

If it's ubisoft or similar where you probably can't trust anything they're showing you anyway, whatever, leak it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't care a great deal either way really. But I guess it'd depend on the leaker/leak. If they have a spotty or no track record or no evidence, I take the leak as nothing more than speculation, until a more reliable leaker backs it up, then I take it with a grain of salt.
If the leak comes with concept art, screenshots or a trailer (even a shitty quality one) I am all for them.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Rather wait. A leak may have stuff in it the final game might not and if I had actually wanted it, it would make me annoyed. See stuff like Lily Bergamo turning into let it die

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Leaks can be entertaining and exciting when they come out of the blue. Project Beast (Bloodborne leak on 4chan) is one of the be(a)st.

Reusing my posts from an older ERA thread (about Bloodborne 2):

The project beast leak thread which started with a few potato screens and exploded with the leaked gifs is still up there as one of the best threads on gaf. Hype, denial, Pixel experts. It really had it all.

Part 1: Couple hundred pages but worth it. (old GAF threads)

Part 2: Then the gifs hit and hype exploded.

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Some leaks are ok, for example talking about/ trying to figure out what studios MS might be looking at is fun as it passes the time, but others times like the most recent direct, it's awesome that they managed to keep all of that under wraps.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
1. I just cannot relate to this at all. it's a commercial. there's no sanctity here. I'm not saying i like, WANT leaks or whatever, but if they happen so be it
2. iirc it was pretty much known ahead of time that TLOU2 would be announced, and that didn't stop these folks from getting excited

i'm not trying to dump on people for liking things or being excited about upcoming games--i get excited about games all the time. but the theater and spectacle of advertising is utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. i'm interested in the game, not the commercials
TLoU 2 definitely wasn't expected to be announced there or so soon after Uncharted 4. Shinobi did very vaguely hint it would before the event though, but everyone missed it. Why I really don't mind early announcements, that are done well, you just beat the leakers to the punch and in the obviously gonna happen cases, the devs haven't got to pretend it's not what they are working on..