• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forward or Reverse?

• Forward

Votes: 397 56.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 42 5.9%
  • Reverse

Votes: 240 33.9%
  • Why not both?

Votes: 30 4.2%

• Total voters

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since owning a car with a reverse camera, I do prefer to park in reverse most of the time. I use to own a basic car and never reverse park ever.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I've never ever understood reverse parkers. It's basically exclusively the domain of dads who wear hiking boots everywhere

Oct 27, 2017
I drive a truck so reverse is optimal for me. Sure takes a little bit more of time initially but I have it down to a science now and its safer for me to leave afterwards (visibility).

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
Parallel, just to be a smartass. But seriously, forward parking. Reverse is a hassle, and I don't see the benefit.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Reverse. It literally only takes an extra 15 seconds for me. Faster to pull out and see when cars are passing by. Any car/ truck I drive I'll put it in reverse.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Reverse 100%. Easier to get outta there asap.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Reverse, it's much easier and faster to park that way, getting out is easier too.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It completely depends on the use case

Yes - If I drive by an open spot that's angled for me to reverse into.
No - if there's an angled spot that is easier for me to drive forward into.
No - if I'm planning on putting something in my back of my vehicle via hatch/fifth door.

If my Garage was on the other side of my house I would back into it because I prefer to the proximity to the entrance to the house.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'd only ever reverse park if I know there's no chance of holding anyone up. Otherwise I just forward park as quickly as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish all of these giant vehicles would reverse park, then maybe I could actually see when I'm trying to leave a space.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Reverse is faster and easier, it only really depends on whether i'll have to use the trunk.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Prefer reverse since it's easier to see cars when leaving, especially with a small car if a larger car/truck parks next to you. Forward if there's a lot of car traffic in a parking lot not to hold it up, or if using the trunk.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Pull into the second of the two empty spots so it looks like I reversed > reverse if nobody is around and I can do it quickly > forward

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Especially in a public lot with other cars waiting. They hold everyone else up to be all fancy.
Yup.
Theres about 20 of these reverse parkers at my work lot. They're the type that always need to park in "their" space, even though it's a free lot and it makes no difference.

And yes they are always making other drivers wait because their fool ass needs to do like a 3-point reverse park job.

*waiting*
(park partway in space, turn wheels, pull back out into lane)
*waiting*
(turn wheels, enter partway into space again, turn wheels, pull back out into lane)
*waiting*
(turn wheels, reverse all the way into space, with stupid smug look on their face)
*me giving them annoyed stare-down as I finally continue down aisle*

they think they're saving time parking in reverse, but they're really not at all.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
How big are you guys parking spaces that you can forward Park faster than reverse Park?

My answer: if there is a large enough parking space, probably forward.
If it's a bit tight, backward because it's easier.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I'm being very kind to myself when I say I can't reverse park very well so I try to avoid it if I can.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Especially in a public lot with other cars waiting. They hold everyone else up to be all fancy.

You mean as opposed to when someone is backing out and "holding everyone else up"? I disagree, it's not a big deal at all.

I prefer it when I can, much rather deal with backing up into a spot than backing up out of a spot

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Reverse for at home parking when I have the space/time. Forward parking at businesses to not block other cars and to account for other people just not paying attention.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Love reverse parking but I just can't do it with a camera. I always twist and eyeball it.

Only time I won't try a reverse park is on a two lane road with traffic behind me.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
I've never ever understood reverse parkers. It's basically exclusively the domain of dads who wear hiking boots everywhere
This is a gross misrepresentation and reductionary lol.

Reverse parking is easier because I have side mirrors to let me know how far I am away from other cars. I can reverse park really fast, so even with people behind me, I don't take up more than 10-20 second in addition of their time.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer reverse. I find it more convenient after I got the hang of it.

I hate reversing out of a spot.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Don't really have a preference. Sometimes I'll back in and other times I'll pull in. Sometimes I go through and into the opposite space, same as if I backed into it.