• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it good to be bad?

• Always

Votes: 73 12.4%
  • Nevah

Votes: 398 67.7%
  • I don’t care

Votes: 116 19.7%

• Total voters

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Something like 90% of Mass Effect players are Paragons iirc, and I admit I usually try to be a "good guy" on my first play throughs in RPGs.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Usually do both. I like seeing the possibilities of both routes. Though some games give you the option and it is meaningless as they never get mentioned outside of that scene.

Sassy Adol is fun though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never bad. I can't help it. Even in games where I make a conscious decision that I'm going to play it from a bad guy perspective, I never do. I just can't help it.

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all gotta stop with making the poll questions different from the thread title.

But nah, I can never play evil as a serious/main run. I'm too much of a wimp. Only time I truly felt an evil ending should've been canon is with Infamous 2, it would've set the world up to great for the next game.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Typically play a deeply troubled sarcastic prick, someone who would buy you a drink at the bar

And then another

And another

And another

Only for you to wake up in a forest, tied to a tree, as live bait for a dragon. 🤷‍♂️

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine playing KOTOR as a Lightside character more than once

-shit outfits
-shit powers
-shit ending
-less money & resources
-no Korriban questline
-Carth lives

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the bad guy, (or a very morally grey character) generally only works if the game is actually desgined for it, like some of the Obsidian games etc. in most games it just means you start fights for no reason and often doesn't really gel with the overall story.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Good but willing to get shit done if needed usually, pure good on some characters depending on how I interpret their personalities.

Never evil.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
I do whatever gets me the most money unless it's like super evil like blowing up Megaton. Also if I don't like a character and can cap them I will good or evil.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
First playthrough is almost always as a good person. Feels to me like it's the intended path to follow in the game, regardless if it actually is or not.

Like, InFamous: Second Son's evil playthrough just didn't feel right to me. Especially the ending. Nothing about it seemed like things Delsin would do.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I treat all npc's kindly and respectfully.

Until they cross me. In which case...

source.gif

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Always play as a good person because playing as a bad person USUALLY nets you a shorter game with less quests.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I pick the option I think is most appropriate in each situation or the one that fits the character I've built. I think just deciding you're going to pick all the good or evil choices regardless of what they are before you start playing is really boring.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
i just do whatever i think is right, so 99% of the time i make the "good" choices. i don't specifically set out to be a good or evil character tho, at least not on a first playthrough

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Good always first, except in certain situations. End justify the means and all that. Then a bad run, but sometimes it's hard to stick to it. Being evil in KOTOR I & II was horrible haha, but a lot of fun too.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Force persuading people to do bad things and force lighting storm on everyone, 1 shoting them was so satisfying in KOTOR 1 and 2.

Sariel

Developer at Phoenix Labs
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to play good. Some games just put me into a really weird mood if I'm pushed to do stuff that I would just hate in real life.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I generally play good but with a horrible vengeful streak.

I will do the canonically "right" thing in every situation unless the opposing characters have hurt/killed someone close to my character or done something truly heinous like torture or slavery. Then they all die. All of 'em.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be an all good all the time player but those got boring. Evil isn't much better but it is more fun. Honestly most games with a binary morality system don't make either choice very appealing 70% of the time. You're either the reincarnation of Jesus or the biggest most unrepentant asshole possible. But at least being an asshole is entertaining whereas the good route boyscouts are just so blasé.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I struggle to enjoy games when I try play as a bad/evil character, I guess I have a hero complex or something?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't go for good or bad, I pick whatever choices feel the most right to me. Usually it's a mix of the two and it's why I don't care for morality systems 90% of the time.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I can never bring myself to be bad. Even in Red Dead 2 I'm greeting everyone that rides past me.
I will say that it sounds fun to be a dick in Disco Elysium.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I always turn into a damn paladin while playing games with choices. Can never play evil unless the game really encourages it like in Overlord.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel I'm too nice IRL so I unleash my demons on innocent NPCs in games. I remember thinking "this is kinda fucked" when I hogtied someone in red dead 1, drag her by the horse and dumped her in the river. Is there something wrong with me?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Good! I can never bring myself to being doing the bad stuff. In the dialogue trees I always have problems because there is probably some funny stuff hidden behind the rude answers but I typically won't try them out. They do make me laugh tho when I'm scrolling through the choices. I think the only time I played an evil playthrough of a game was Fable 2 and those horns were glorious by the end.

Nov 17, 2019
I feel I'm too nice IRL so I unleash my demons on innocent NPCs in games. I remember thinking "this is kinda fucked" when I hogtied someone in red dead 1, drag her by the horse and dumped her in the river. Is there something wrong with me?

Nah. This is only the natural thing to do when you have access to a lasso and helpless npcs.

Gold Rush

Nov 29, 2017
always good, except for stealing shit, all my characters are cleptomaniac
Same here.

I'll perform rescues, go on lengthy fed ex quests, and help old ladies across the street— all free of charge. But if there's a locked chest in your house, I'm gonna be rummaging through it no matter what.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Problem is very few games actively reward you for being bad. Yeah being bad does have some perks but they're usually short term and long term it bites you in the arse. It's being good that usually has the bigger/better perks in the long run.

From what I remember Bioshock is the only game I played whereby both options were fairly balanced gameplay wise (but wish they would have been deeper) and it was only really story outcomes that it impacted.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
i sort of just go with the flow and make the choices i feel like and let what happen happen.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
No, because in games like Mass Effect, Infamous and Fable the evil protagonist is so cartoonishly evil that it takes me out of game, I don't do it anymore.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
First playthrough, I play according to my personal morals. Whether that's good or bad according to the game is immaterial. Second playthrough, I go the opposite route.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Really should have worded that poll better almost picked the wrong one.

I'm always the good guy unless the other person I'm dealing with in the game is acting like a know it all then I pick the dialouge which leads to a confrontation.

I was never full blown asshole Shepherd that's for sure.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Mostly good but in KotR I was dark side all the way.. and I would of went Dark Side in Fallen Order if possible I just don't like the Jedi side of things in the Star Wars universe. I am #TeamDarth

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to be picky, but that's a really badly designed poll...

Good
Bad
Mostly good, sometimes bad
Mostly bad, sometimes good
Both

Would have been better

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Good first, evil on replays. My assumption is that you're supposed to take the "good" route and on the chance I don't replay the game, I want to see the real ending.

Except Sonic Adventure 2, 90% sure my middle school self wanted to be an edgelord and play as Shadow ASAP, and as much as possible.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I always play good. I cannot NOT play a character aligning with my own ethics and morals, if I'm given the option to do so.
I tried, for example, to make an evil playthrough of Life Is Strange and Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I just couldn't last more than 30 minutes playing that way, it just isn't vibing with me at all, I just can't.

Yeah I tried to be asshole Shepard for a good 5 minutes. Then loaded my Holy Paragon of Righteousness save.

I think my values make me to do the right thing, If I have the power to do so (game characters have the power in-game to do it)

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
The ending for behaving badly is a shitfest almost all the time, so I tend to be good.

Sometimes I play a evil character for the hell of it.