• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you plan on switching to Android from Apple?

• No, I like my Apple devices and plan to keep using them

• Yes, Apple's practices have frustrated me and I plan to switch

• Conflicted, still trying to decide

• Already use Android and recommend it

• Already use Android and do not recommend it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Couldn't care less about any of those things. iOS has so many advantages in iMessage, the app quality, airdrop, airplay, and just general day to day use over Android that I would never switch. I would never use GamePass anyways as I want to own my games when I pay for them so this means nothing to me.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Switched to iOS recently after being an Android user since forever. Always loved to customize my phone but nowadays it's no longer something I care about, and the core experience and the apps are a lot superior on iPhone from my time with it. I still have some things I prefer on android but in general, I'm glad I made the change, especially considering the stance Apple is taking on privacy.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Couldn't care less about any of those things. iOS has so many advantages in iMessage, the app quality, airdrop, airplay, and just general day to day use over Android that I would never switch. I would never use GamePass anyways as I want to own my games when I pay for them so this means nothing to me.
I'm legitimately curious what your day to day use is that is better on iOS (seriously, I'm interested in trying but can't find a reason to). Each time I consider getting an iPhone, I use my wife or son's phones and the opposite is true for me (day to day use is easier for me on Android). Maybe I'm just not using the "correct" apps or I guess I'm just used to my workflow... that and not needed to deal with the lightning port cables which are by the far the least robust cable I've seen, even more so than the micro or mini USB.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I made the switch after my second 6S Plus died and never regretted it. I'd never go back now.

I remember my 6 was a pain doing even the simplest bullshit like adding multiple attatchments to one email. I can remember the workaround but I think it was to select what you wanted to attach (presuming they were all the same format and thus in the same place like photo gallery) and sending to email. In the app attaching files was a chore especially if the files were something apple didn't use and sort normally like a .zip or something. Just that basic functionality missing on a top of the line productivity device killed me.

Can't remember exactly how it was but I know email attatchments were one of my grievances (and why the fuck do photos flip when you do attach them half the time?)

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Nah. Being able to play console games is a cool novelty, but I'm not especially interested. I barely used Remote Play when I owned a PS4 and Vita, though it was admittedly pretty cool. The 'walled garden' aspect of Apple products doesn't bother me either, I understand if people have issues with it but I very, very rarely download new apps on my phone these days.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I love my iPhone but there is a strong urge to move to Android for some of the reasons in the OP. I would love to be able to do xcloud and all that. The thing is, Android phones get like 2 years of updates. That bothers me. Also, to get a pure Android experience you have to go Pixel and the Pixel 4 seemed not great and then the Pixel 5 rumors are that it's going to be a cut back version of the 4 in a lot of ways. I dunno.. I don't want Samsung becuase I don't want their coating over the OS and ads in the OS.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't really like streaming at all, but I do use Android (Galaxy Fold) and probably won't switch back to iOS any time soon. Too many features I am used to just aren't available on iOS.

I like apple products and have nothing specific against them. The iPhone specifically just isn't in my use case.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm already using Android for my phone and I'm starting to regret buying an iPad. I was never invested in the ecosystem or the interface in the first place, which makes the arbitrary store restrictions that much more aggravating. My use case is something that could have been satisfied by almost any tablet out there but Apple had the best hardware for the price.

Cloud computing seems like the inevitable future so I'm already uneasy to see that much resistance to it.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
As a zoomer, you're having a way harder time getting laid with those green android texts vs blue iMessage. If you think this isn't a thing, people are just being nice to you or don't want to admit how shallow they are.

In the words of my friend Julia: "I ain't no green bubble bitch." IPhone even if they go back to black background.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
The issues mentioned in the OP are compelling, but also the fact that I've largely switched to paid Spotify for my music. My iTunes library over has been the last thing keeping me anchored to Apple.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
As a zoomer, you're having a way harder time getting laid with those green android texts vs blue iMessage. If you think this isn't a thing, people are just being nice to you or don't want to admit how shallow they are.

In the words of my friend Julia: "I ain't no green bubble bitch." IPhone even if they go back to black background.
That would be a straightforward way to filter people out to me (anyone that shallow isn't worth my time).

Thankfully, that hasn't been a concern for 20+ years now.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Don't play games on my phone, except for like quiz games. But video games that would be like on console or such I wouldn't even want to.

Oct 25, 2017
I have both and use them frequently, I prefer apple by far, xcloud would be nice on them but is not a deal break, i only play pokemon Go on my phone anyway.
I do not recommend android to anyone unless for very specific reasons.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Steve Jobs being an obnoxious pos put me off Apple for life. Plus I love the customisation that android offers.

Oct 28, 2017
Ultimately I don't mind walled-gardens but I don't appreciated blatantly displaying your ass. I already knew they were this so...

That's just sad.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
If gaming on my phone was a priority, I would probably consider it. I had an android phone for the past 3-4 years, and it just wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be. Yes, there are less restrictions, but the way I use my phone it appears I'm just not affected by those restrictions. I like my iPhone better for normal use.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
No. Gamming or gaming related things are so low on the list of things I do with my phone that apple could kill every single app and I still would not switch phones. Will see in 5 to 6 years when I plan to change my phone if theres something intresting from android but for the moment zero changes from me.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
As much as I'm a huge fan of Stadia, and think game-streaming in general is the way forward, I find playing console and PC games on a small phone screen or tablet to be... Ehhhhhhh.

Like, any time I'm playing Stadia, I'm doing it on a large screen with either a KB+M (if I'm using my work setup) or a controller (if I'm at home) The number of times I've started a game on my phone and actually had a controller with me I could sync, a decent enough WiFi connection for the experience to not be rough as hell, and not also have the alternative of playing on a bigger screen, is extremely small.

I just don't get the excitement people have for console gaming on a phone.
Sure streaming has tons of other benefits, but that sort of mobile gaming isn't really one of them IMHO.

OP
OP
Zuko

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020

I'm married, so does that mean I can get an Android?

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I honestly love the apple watch and would love to be in the apple ecosystem - but basic functionality on a phone like Picture in Picture on YT, better side by side app multi-tasking and the lack of customization is just a no-go for me.

the amount of compromises you guys do for apple is astounding.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I've maintained my "Android phone, iOS tablet" status quo for many years, and I don't plan to change any time soon.

Apple's more restrictive usage policies don't matter as much to me when all I ever use my iPad for is internet browsing, Netflix, and very occasional Steam Link use. I'm not really invested in their ecosystem, got a couple of games on there but not much else.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Already have Android, and this is one of the reasons why I never used Apple products. Their business policies.

Flirted with getting an iPhone in 2009, went Android and never looked back.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I'm legitimately curious what your day to day use is that is better on iOS (seriously, I'm interested in trying but can't find a reason to). Each time I consider getting an iPhone, I use my wife or son's phones and the opposite is true for me (day to day use is easier for me on Android). Maybe I'm just not using the "correct" apps or I guess I'm just used to my workflow... that and not needed to deal with the lightning port cables which are by the far the least robust cable I've seen, even more so than the micro or mini USB.
I find every aspect of iOS easier to use. Messages send over data so I don't need to worry about things not sending over SMS and I know when they are delivered. I can then reply on my MacBook if I need to. My AirPods automatically pair and unpair. Notification management is much easier without the constant spam that Android notfications get stuffed up with (stuff like the persistent notifications on Android). Security options are much better on iOS, Apple Music has a better UI than both Spotify and Google Play Music and allows for your local songs to be uploaded to the cloud with no fuss. Most apps work better on iOS than Android (Snapchat on Android runs at like 2 fps on most phones and lags like crazy, whereas it's perfect even on the oldest iPhone that supports the newest version of iOS). Also, iOS gets updated for way longer and more consistently. Android is a gamble on whether you'll get the newest Android version even months after you buy your phone from most companies outside of Google, whereas there are iPhones released in 2015 that are still getting every new version of iOS day and date with newer devices. Sure, iOS may not have every freedom that Android offers, but as a user experience, it's by far the most consistent and easy to use mobile OS and it continues to get updates for years, which means you don't need to replace devices as frequently. The focus on privacy and security also appeals to me as well. I want my phone to just work as easily and seamlessly as possible without needing to dig around to turn settings on and off. It helps that I'm in the ecosystem, but I chose to be in this ecosystem for these reasons and I don't think Google has made a compelling enough case to switch to their ecosystem yet.
Anecdontally, I have never had a broken lightning cable although I do admit that I see a lot of people saying that their cables break easily. I do wish Apple would use USB-C on iPhones like they do on the iPad Pro and MacBooks though

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
xCloud/Stadia aren't dealbreakers for me on iOS specifically, I do stream in-home, which Apple does allow (Steam Link and Moonlight) so I'm good with that.
But I find Android to be a much better phone OS for me personally.

iMessage and Airdrop are nice features to have since my partner is iOS only, and I do like iOS for the handful of exclusive games (most of which are ports like Fez, Witness, Bastion, etc), but most games I play on mobile ARE on Android too (Kingdom Rush series, Holedown, Desert Golfing, Tap Titans 2 etc) and even then I rarely game on my phone much these days.

I got sick of FaceID after a few months on an XS Max so I doubt I'll get another iPhone until they bring back the fingerprint reader (in-screen/power button/rear, anything will do). Also, most of my electronics use USB-C these days, and it sucks needing to get lightning cables which seem to break 5x faster than other cables.

I do have an iPad Pro which I really like. Perfect for in-home streaming, I can Airdrop my pictures to my partner from my iPad when we get to the house, and I still get to play those occasional iOS exclusive games.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
i love my android phone so I wont switch to iphone; I find the software is perfect of my needs and an Iphone would frustrate me. However, I love my ipad and wouldn't trade that for any other tablet, and I love the simplify interface.

Just pick what works best for you.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I switched to Android a few months back and whilst it wasn't the driving factor, Xcloud was one of the reasons why I decided to.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California

On the plus side, a person who places importance on blue or green text bubbles is not the type of person I would want to date. Those people save everybody a lot of time in the long run.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I could not imagine having to use a Apple phone. The time I had to try transferring a video over to my sister's phone was all the warning I needed. I never succeeded in putting the video on her phone after many attempts at a solution. I love the Android, just like I love Windows. I doubt Mac (don't really know the name of Apple computer's OS) is as locked down as their phone, if it is, I would want nothing to do with that either.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an Apple Watch for free. I love my Mac and my iPhone. I rarely play games on my iPhone (other than quick puzzle games).

Not making a switch for any of this.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple is far too restrictive. The amount of shit that needs doing by browser because they don't have the app is unreal.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
All the stuff with Apple and the App Store as of late is frustrating, but temporary. It will get sorted in time.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Stringent App Store is a huge benefit to me. I hope they'll come around on game pass and similar services. Ecosystem experience is unmatched though so I won't be switching any time soon.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Not really.

I would love to use Game Pass, but I'm very happy with iOS and my iPhone 11 Pro Max (still cannot believe the camera quality, almost a year later).

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
It'd be much more than that, but even using your conservative figure, that's still over 1m customers bailing to Android.

We'll see. Apple will lose this one. It's inevitable. They either lose customers or let Gamepass onto iOS.

Doubt it, totally niche issue and the vast majority of Apple users wont care about streaming Xbox games. It would be more valuable to MS for it to happen, not Apple. You vastly overestimate the amount of people that would leave, really overestimate.

If it does end up on their it because MS will go hat in hand to make a deal.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
I switched years ago. I think the last iphone I had was the ip7. There are some things apple does better and some things android does better. I just prefer android because of the freedom to do what I want on a phone that I own.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Nah, haven't played games on my phone for like 4-5 years now and have no interest in starting soon. It's a pretty awful experience personally, don't see why I'd bother when I have other options. Hell getting a specific phone/tablet for game pass and that is probably the most expensive option for gaming anyway, so I'm kinda surprised to see how many people (including those I know irl) are interested in getting new devices because of it.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I find every aspect of iOS easier to use. Messages send over data so I don't need to worry about things not sending over SMS and I know when they are delivered. I can then reply on my MacBook if I need to. My AirPods automatically pair and unpair. Notification management is much easier without the constant spam that Android notfications get stuffed up with (stuff like the persistent notifications on Android). Security options are much better on iOS, Apple Music has a better UI than both Spotify and Google Play Music and allows for your local songs to be uploaded to the cloud with no fuss. Most apps work better on iOS than Android (Snapchat on Android runs at like 2 fps on most phones and lags like crazy, whereas it's perfect even on the oldest iPhone that supports the newest version of iOS). Also, iOS gets updated for way longer and more consistently. Android is a gamble on whether you'll get the newest Android version even months after you buy your phone from most companies outside of Google, whereas there are iPhones released in 2015 that are still getting every new version of iOS day and date with newer devices. Sure, iOS may not have every freedom that Android offers, but as a user experience, it's by far the most consistent and easy to use mobile OS and it continues to get updates for years, which means you don't need to replace devices as frequently. The focus on privacy and security also appeals to me as well. I want my phone to just work as easily and seamlessly as possible without needing to dig around to turn settings on and off. It helps that I'm in the ecosystem, but I chose to be in this ecosystem for these reasons and I don't think Google has made a compelling enough case to switch to their ecosystem yet.
Anecdontally, I have never had a broken lightning cable although I do admit that I see a lot of people saying that their cables break easily. I do wish Apple would use USB-C on iPhones like they do on the iPad Pro and MacBooks though
Thanks for response. Most of the cases you mention here are either not applicable to me (never needed to use Snapchat thankfully) or not true for me. Sending messages isn't an issue for me, even when using SMS it sends immediately 99% of the time and even when it doesn't it lets me know. I can also send messages and see my notifications on my Surface Book or desktop as well.

My Sennheisers (wireless buds or headphones) both pair with my phone right away, and I don't like how any of the Apple buds fit (I never used them when I had an iPod). I use both Apple Music and Spotify, but I prefer Spotify (even being the free plan). I've never used an Android phone that stopped getting updates, but as I mentioned earlier I never use any phone for more than 2-3 years so it really doesn't come up.

As for notifications, that's a place where I really prefer on Android but I guess that will be heavily influenced with what you are familiar with. As for settings, I can't say I really need to tinker at all with them as I've set them up years ago and they simply carry forward to new phones. I find using my family iPhones more inconsistent when trying to access quick settings and swiping different sides of the phone (ie. down from the right/left, up from bottom); I like being able to simply swipe down to get all of my notifications and quick settings and up to see all my apps, or tap the home button to search the entire phone.

In the end, I feel like whatever you are familiar with is going to be what you stick with unless something compels you to change. The only reason I've really considered changing is because my kids like to use FaceTime, but I think I'll just get an iPad Pro for that and have the best of both worlds (for me).

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Staying with Apple. Privacy and Productivity are more important than gaming for me.
Also, I rather not waste my battery on the go, and while at home I prefer a dedicated gaming device.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
As my main device I'm not going to switch. Work, ease of use, better compatibility, etc. But I'm also one that carries both an android device (Oneplus 6T) and iPhone on me regularly anyways. So I take advantage of things like xCloud and other things Apple doesn't allow

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apple's decisions are awful and I've been very vocal about that, but it's not enough to make me switch. My phone choice isn't dictated solely by cloud gaming, at least not yet.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
You mean it updates your os to make your phone even slower so you are forced to buy a new one. This is a know thing, and isnt even coming from me. That said, android phones are open devices, you can do whatever you want. Yes even update new os as well , even if samsung isnt providing it.
I like you assuming I've used Samsung. I used to use Xperia lol.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of people indicated iMessage on sticking with iOS.. is it such a big thing in USA? Everyone arounds me uses WhatsApp. When I was working in Japan and TW, most people use LINE and other messengers