• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So my TV stand right now has a regular black Xbox One X, a regular black PS3 Super Slim, and then this:

limited-edition-death-stranding-ps4-pro-product-shot-02-ps4-us-20sep19

I decided to buy it for two main reasons:

1) I thought the design looked really cool at the time
2) I figured that I could sell it later this year for PS5 money

However, after having it actually sitting there for a good few months, I'm definitely starting to regret buying it as it all it does is clash with the otherwise entirely-black nature of the stuff underneath my TV (even the two external hard drives and the PSVR breaker box are black). It also, as is evidence from the picture, was for some reason designed around both vertical usage (with the handprints only making sense in that orientation) and horizontal usage (with the 'Death Stranding' logo being the wrong way around'. As such it makes the otherwise awesome design fall flat due to it being at the wrong angle at all times. It's not enough to ruin anything, of course, but if I could go back I'd definitely just pick a regular black PS4 pro and maybe get a fancy new controller instead.

As a side note that whole 'designed for one orientation' thing is why I didn't end up getting any limited-edition DS/3DS consoles. It seems like almost all of them were designed for when the system was closed instead of when it was open.

I've also got this preordered:

dock-and-joy-con.original.jpg

And I think I'm going to likely regret that purchase a lot less because I love the joy-con colours and my Switch is not located on my TV stand for it to stand out (it's next to my armchair via a long HDMI cable).

So that led me to thinking: have any of you here bought a special edition console for every-day usage? If so, how do you feel about it after actually using it?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have the OoT 3DS, but that's it. I think it's fine for a handheld and use(d) it normally, but wouldn't get a branded console since it's on display more. They're more just black boxes to blend together.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I have the Monster Hunter 4 3DSXL

7de77258-5634-4ef7-9d52-ce3f5df58883_1.e3301eb73b2b13bb8029c408eda76d4d.jpeg

but that's about it. Besides the 3DS having shit ergonomics in general I really love it and enjoy using it.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I have the God of War PS4Pro, because it came out Around the time I wanted to upgrade to a Pro. I ever up disliking God of War, and the thing looks REALLY stupid, so I regret not just getting a black one

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes (V-Saturn, JVC X'eye, Nes GBA SP, ALBW 3DSXL to name a few)

I'm using them all except the 3DS from memory

The X'eye will be retired though since I own a japanese original MegaCD and a Japanese megacd2 on top of my Mega SD and I'm using my backlit SP now instead of the NES one

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Have the Majorca's Mask New 3DS XL. Use to play on it like crazy until Switch came out.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3ds xl and monhun new 3ds xl. I use my monhun one and my persona ones in perfect condition as a result of them coming out close to each other.

...and i guess that darth vader psp but i just used it as a normal psp?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got a few
Final Fantasy IV Gameboy Micro
Kingdom Hearts DSi
The World Ends With You DSLite
Kingdom Hearts 3 PS4 Pro

And I use them all regularly.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
I have the God of War PS4Pro, because it came out Around the time I wanted to upgrade to a Pro. I ever up disliking God of War, and the thing looks REALLY stupid, so I regret not just getting a black one

Yeah that seems to suffer from the 'designed for vertical presentation' thing as well.

limited-edition-god-of-war-ps4-pro-bundle-product-shot-08-ps4-us-09feb18

I honestly don't know why. With the DS consoles at least people will inevitably have them closed but how many people legitimately have their PS4 Pros on a stand? For the vast majority I can imagine they'd be horizontal in a TV stand, not vertical on a desk or something. It seems like these are designed primarily to look really good in promotional shots.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Bought the golden Zelda-themed 3ds XL that coincided with the release of Majora's Mask 3d for myself back in the day. Never really agonized a lot about it - it replaced my old base model 3ds, and going from that to the XL model was a considerable upgrade in its own right. As a bonus it looks very cool. Picture in spoiler.

3ds-console-new-zelda-majora-e85694.jpg

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
My PSP is the red God of War model, and my Vita is the white Assassin's Creed model; I used the heck out of both.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only one I have is the Zelda 3DS XL special edition for A Link Between Worlds.

I already had a 3DS XL at the time, but I couldn't say no to this gorgeous edition.

images

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I have the gold DS that came with Windwaker

Unfortunately the L/R buttons broke after extensive snaking in Mario Kart and the D-pad/buttons went to shit shortly after

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but...why? Why V-Saturn? Why Christmas Nights Winter V-Saturn? I've never understood why this was given the green light?
JVC had a long standing partnership with Sega and produced their own versions of every Sega console (same as Tec Toy)

It's no more an anomaly than the first and second wondermega (the US only got the second, worse looking JVC X'eye that I own, I hope I'll one day get my hands on a « cheap » wondermega 1) for example

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
JVC had a long standing partnership with Sega and produced their own versions of every Sega console (same as Tec Toy)

It's no more an anomaly than the first and second wondermega (the US only got the second, worse looking JVC X'eye that I own, I hope I'll one day get my hands on a « cheap » wondermega 1) for example

Yeah but the weird part is, V-Saturn co-existed with saturn for it's entire life. Sure, letting third parties take a dip when a console is long in the tooth makes sense. But gawd damn 1994!?!?! The thing just came out!

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I used to own the Pokemon Sun/Moon New 3DS XL, and I got rid of my regular 3DS XL so it became my primary 3DS system. I liked using it because it actually looked really snazzy.

Looking to pick up a Special Edition Switch Lite of some kind when Nintendo decides to drop one on us (and one that's good, of course).

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just listed these off in another thread.

DS Lite Zelda Phantom Hourglass
3DS Zelda 25th Anniversary
3DS XL Zelda A Link Between Worlds
New 3DS XL Zelda Majora's Mask
New 3DS XL Zelda Hyrule Edition
2DS Zelda Ocarina of Time
New 2DS XL Hylian Shield

Plus

Zelda Wii U
Spidey PS4 Pro

I have no issue using them. I'm not the kind of person to buy them and not use them in order to maintain their resale value.

EDIT: Oh, and my jungle green N64 if that counts but I just think of it as a colour variation.

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I have a special edition Star Wars PS4 pro. I wanted to upgrade to a pro, and the Star Wars one cost less than a standard one did.

I don't normally get special editions though.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
500million ps4
Taco Bell Xbox one x unopened. I want to get rid of it

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Star Wars PS4 Pro, but I'm probably not going to hurt much if/when I sell it to buy a PS5

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I have the Pokémon Sword/Shield Switch Lite. I worry about wearing out the analog sticks, but that's about it. I have a glass screen protector on it, and I always keep it in a case when it isn't being used.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel kind of like a show-off because the special edition platform I have is easily the most extravagant and awesome ever:
c1cgy10xaaamhll31kja.jpg

Tiny Grand Turismo logo below the X button on the right. I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to me lmao. I purchased it 2nd hand so it didn't come with the box.

In all seriousness, I would buy a special edition if I liked the look and/or the price was right (aka lower lmao), but otherwise I'm fine with the standard stuff.
I'd never get a special edition platform for collecting and not playing it.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
PlayStation 4 Pro 500 Million
Xbox One X Gears of War 5

I had a Pikachu Nintend 64 once, I liked it.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I would never buy something as expensive as a console and not use it. That being said, I've never bought a special edition console.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I have the red Spider-Man ps4 pro. I want to sell it when PS5 gets close but on the other hand I would like to keep it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The only special console / handheld I own is the Final Fantasy IV GBA Micro. I don't think it's rare or anything, but I wanted to have a GBA Micro and I liked how it looked, so I imported it back when it came out. And yes, it came bundled with the game.

FFIV%2BGB%2BMicro.jpg

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I own the MGS peacewalker PSP with the skulls and camo all over it and played it til the battery expanded
Also have the halo reach 360 and made it my primary console back in that gen

Have the AC switch preordered and i'm gonna play the shit out of it, essentially I won't buy something expensive if i'm not going to use it

hank_tree

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would never buy something as expensive as a console and not use it. That being said, I've never bought a special edition console.
If anything, the special edition console is usually better value as it costs the same new but you can still sell it on used for a bit more once you move onto next gen.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
25th Anni 3DS Ocarina Of Time. Love it still, never wanted another. The look is amazing.

And the best purchase ever: Metal Gear V PS4
The red is beautiful. The game... welp.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
my psp is techincally the Monster Hunter one, I just never applied the stickers

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've got tons but they were bought for collecting and sit unopened (mostly 3ds, few vita and the 20th anv PS4).

I do have two LE I do use and I think they're awesome. One is a gundam vita and the other is the Saga 2 dsi unit.

I have one of those 20th anniversary PS4s

I wouldn't dare open it 😳
Same, so much so it still sits in the box it was shipped in.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have the Zelda Gold DS Lite. I sold it eventually coz I didn't like a gold border around the screen and regret it to this day

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I own the MHW PS4 Pro, which (while I'm happy with it) I'm pissed I bought it. I imported the JP version since there was no news about it coming west until less than 2 weeks before the game's launch.

I paid $70 for the shipping *alone*, not even touching the markup for the system itself!

Kace

Feb 10, 2020
the system
I've got 2
mh4_3ds_01.jpg
Which is still untouched in the box
885370325348.jpg
very much played but the console is still in good condition, the controller not so much

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I own a few:

uKLlwxe.jpg

I also own a Swancrystal so there's absolutely no reason to use this.

AaI50I8.jpg

Launch 360's are ticking timebombs so of course I don't use this one.

B5siZbp.jpg

I have a New 3DS XL that I use as my main system so I bought Pokemon Yellow on that, played through all 3 games and traded with myself until I had all 151 on my Blue game on this since Blue was my first Pokemon. Haven't used it since.

O9RpGJa.jpg

This I use as my PS4. The transparency looks awesome, and I love the USB port on the back since I have a PSVR and a Platinum headset. It was a pain in the ass having the VR USB up front and having to unplug one any time I wanted to charge the headset or controller. Plus the 2tb hard drive is a goddsend. No more fridge!

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
The only special edition system that I used on a consistent basis is my Majora's Mask 3ds XL. When I still had it hooked up, I used my Sega Sports edition Dreamcast, but other systems like the various transparent coloured Xbox's or 3ds's that I have are just there to look at.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I also have the 500 Million edition of the PS4 Pro.
PhZU2lm.jpg

I use it all the time, it replaced my regular PS4.
The glossiness is kinda annoying, it scratches super easily, but I've made my peace with that now.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
As a rule I think they all look terrible or at least worse than the default hardware.

However, I have preordered the AC:NH Switch for the missus. Like the OP I'll likely put the dock a good distance from the all-black AV unit.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Only one I have is the Pokemon Switch Lite. I used to have the Hyrule Edition 3DS that was exclusive to GameStop, but I sold it on ebay ages ago...