• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you own any clothes with a Union Jack on them. (Including stylised versions)

• I do.

Votes: 54 11.4%
  • I don't and I never have.

Votes: 383 80.6%
  • I don't but I used to at some stage.

Votes: 38 8.0%

• Total voters

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
English and no I don't think I've ever 'worn' the flag.

I have a Sex Pistols flag somewhere which is a version of the Union Jack. Other than that, nah.

From a design perspective I think it's OK. Bold, distinctive etc ... but politically it's not something I'm hugely comfortable with. I haven't got a problem with the flag per se but flag veneration isn't something most people go in for here and those that do aren't the sort of people you want to be associated with.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
For queen & country!!!

250px-UNION_JACK_1.jpg

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yet it still remains a symbol of genocide and oppression to a large portion of the world. Perhaps it should go the way of the rising sun flag....

I'm not really sure how to answer that.

Flags (particularly older flags) often have very complicated histories and represent past evils as well as the present population/country and all that encompasses.

I don't necessarily think that flags which represent a murky past should be whitewashed out, as that seems akin to the country washing their hands of their history - like a rebrand of sorts.

It's a symbol of everything - both the positive and the negative.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Nope... it (along with the George's Cross flag before it) has been almost entirely co-opted by arseholes within the UK

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a pair of shorts with the flag on them. Not sure how many times I wore them, but this was back when I was a naive teenager. Wouldn't do it nowadays because I'm not very proud of my country.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a no no here in Ireland.

Was pretty funny when the Spice Girls were popular and loads of kids used to wear them.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I actually have a grey shirt with the union jack made out of skulls on it. :P
The things we buy when we're younger. :P
And I'm not even British.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'm not really sure how to answer that.

Flags (particularly older flags) often have very complicated histories and represent past evils as well as the present population/country and all that encompasses.

I don't necessarily think that flags which represent a murky past should be whitewashed out, as that seems akin to the country washing their hands of their history - like a rebrand of sorts.

It's a symbol of everything - both the positive and the negative.

The union is, inherently, something I'm against, and I don't see any positives as a result of it. I don't think we can agree on this.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Wearing one right now in a weird coincidence.

Pretty much all my tops are from Superdry (I always shop online, so I have a tendency to buy all my jeans (gstar), tops (superdry), socks (Tommy Hilfiger), underwear (diesel) etc from the same single brand that fits me best).
Superdry usually if they have flag colors, has the red white and blue from my country's flag, but this particular lumberjack shirt has a Union Jack.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not myself, but I think one or both of my kids have them on some souvenir t-shirts from a trip I took to London.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As an American, I used to have a T-shirt with the UJ on it that said 'Australia' underneath it. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that it wasn't actually the Australian flag, I could have bought more shirts.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't thar more of a early to mid 2000's thing? At least in America. There were Union Jacks everywhere.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I actively avoid it on my stuff. People flaunting the Union Jack is akin to those waving a confederate flag in my experience. Uneducated, super patriotic louts.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Most common flags i see on jackets in northern Europe are Norwegian, German, and Dutch flags. Sometimes I see some mini cars in Germany with the union jack on the car roof but I seldom see it on clothing

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If I do then it's accidental. Don't have any flags on my clothes I don't think. No Scottish ones either. Not a flag kind of fellow.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I have rucksack with a small union jack badge on the back of it. I've had it for years since I was a teenager. I would never have anything with the uk or english flag on it now. Since Brexit I am always cautious whenever I see someone waving it around or planting it.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
no way, nationalism is a mental disorder and the union jack represents a whole heap of shit.

also i look too much like an 80s-era racist already without draping myself in imperialistic iconography.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, and i don't see a reason why i would get one.

But i have a jacket with the Gwenn ha Du sewn on one shoulder :
langfr-225px-Gwenn_ha_Du_%2811_mouchetures%29.svg.png

Does that count ?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
nah too stymied with nationalistic shite

Same goes with England flag & Yorkshire's white rose

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
nah too stymied with nationalistic shite

Same goes with England flag & Yorkshire's white rose
Absolutely this. I live in an area that used to be part of Yorkshire until it was re-zoned to be Lancashire in the late 1970s. People here still stick white roses on their doors as some kind of protest.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
I have a wallet with one on, which I only ever actually use outside of the U.K. (hey, it seemed amusing at the time). Kind of increasingly uncomfortable with it given the increasingly gross nationalism going on in this country, though, so it may be time to retire it.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am from the US and I have a few Ben Sherman shirts and I feel like they have it somewhere super small on all of their stuff, but perhaps i am wrong there. With that said it is not like it the design of the shirt itself. If my memory is correct and it is somewhere it is either on the label or a small icon on the sleeve or something like that. It is not like I am rocking the Union Jack flag. I just happen to like the design and cut of Ben Sherman clothes.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Absolutely this. I live in an area that used to be part of Yorkshire until it was re-zoned to be Lancashire in the late 1970s. People here still stick white roses on their doors as some kind of protest.
Imagine having to live in Lancashire

This message is brought to you by Richard III of House York

Honestly it is crazy that there is still weird vibes between some Yorkshire folk and Lancashire folk 500-ish years later.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I think I may have some polo shirts with a 5cm flag on the heart. Polos have flags of all kinds.