• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
In SDR games now? Generally not as I have my display set so no correction is needed.

In HDR games? It depends, some games give you bad advice some don't cause any problems.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Guys if you feel the game's calibration are always broken then it's not the game, it's your TV/monitor and you need to calibrate it first.

I have mine calibrated and it almost always results in a better image. Although I do turn the in-game brightness up a bit when playing multiplayer games

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time the recommend brightness leaves me squinting at the screen in dark areas so I always turn that up. Though I just tried the Resident Evil 2 demo which may be the first time I ever found doing that to be too bright so I'll be more conservative with that when the full game comes out.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Borders yes but the Gamma stuff never makes sense.

"Set the brightness so that you barely see the image" always results in the the game being super dark and dark area's in games become just black voids, add some screen glare to the mix and I can't see anything anymore.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If your TV is set up correctly you shouldn't need to adjust it at all from default in almost all SDR games. Though I understand why people turn up the brightness beyond what it's supposed to be but that just ruins the whole atmosphere the game is built around IMO. Just imaging playing any dark game like Metro with overly bright gamma just doesn't sound like the game, missing half the point

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Most are pretty bad, but the one in Resident Evil 2 Remake was really good and definitely improved the picture.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
No because my PC monitor is already properly calibrated (need it for photo/video editing) so these settings don't add anything and if I change them then it will just make the image worse.

If i'm playing on my PS4/Switch then yeah i might make some changes.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I just go with whatever the default is regardless of what the game says.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My monitor must be perfect cuz the screen resizing and calibration are always already where they need to be.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of people here saying that they always adjust the screen borders.
If you are doing anything other than setting the borders to 100%, you need to check your TV's menus and disable the overscan option, which crops the edges of the picture.
This may also be listed as something like a "just scan" aspect ratio option for that input.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Same as most of the thread, the turn brightness down until you can't see the left image is way too dark. I always just adjust until it's barely visible.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Like others, I usually go a couple notches above recommended brightness. I hate not being able to see things and mostly avoid games where struggling to see/find things in the dark is part of the game anyway.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
"Obey", lol. Made me chuckle. I usually set it a couple of notches above what it recommends. It would be fantastic if we could get proper reference levels for videogames.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a test pattern with instructions, I'll usually adhere to it. If I'm playing at my TV I might make it slightly brighter, however, just so I can see at a distance.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I deliberately turn up the brightness until it hurts to look at so that the developers know they can't control me.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I trust my TV and always leave the game at default settings, which SHOULD be how it's intended to be viewed.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No because my TV is perfectly set. Although the default brightness settings for the RE2make demo make the game look washed out so heads up there.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Yes it usually looks good. I stopped using HDR in windows though. Nothing ever looks good no matter what I try.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't trust a generic tool to work as good as a calibration probe generated ICC profile.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've left it at default value since I had my TV professionally calibrated. The picture they show always looks exactly like it's supposed to without me messing with the gamma.

I've disabled HDR due to the huge variation in presentation. I value accuracy above all else. HDR will get there some day, but not yet.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, usually ends up way too dark. I refuse to believe that's what the developers intended.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I do try to obey the brightness calibration, especially in horror games, because I want to experience them as the designers intended. But sometimes the brightness is just too low so I up it a notch or two beyond the recommended setting.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always raise the brightness a little more than its supposed to be.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I usually leave it at default on my plasma.
Occasionally the default looks a touch too bright but turning it down in some games feels more like you're darkening a filter than changing actual gamma levels. Games and movies that use this method of post brightness/color tinting tend to strain my eyes a lot more and it sucks.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game but I usually go one or two ticks brighter than the default. It's definitely also possible to go too light, especially in a bunch of horror games, to where you can clearly see things immediately that are meant to be hidden in the shadows at first.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
My TV is calibrated so 9 times out of 10 the default setting is correct. On rare occasions I'll have to set it 1 tick up or down... usually down.

Judging from the replies in this thread people on Era love the washed out look and/or have horribly inaccurate settings on their TVs.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I have to run it a tick or two brighter in 90% of cases. Making one symbol "barely visible" often results in a game that is obviously way too dark. And i dont like aything bright.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Obey? O boy, they are tools to help you calibrate the game to make it look like it's supposed to, why wouldn't you use it?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting how many people are saying they make it brighter than the recommended level. I do the same. Why are developers constantly pushing darker images when it's not how people want to play?

The only calibration settings I "obey" are timing/lag ones for guitar games and light gun centering.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I always have the brightness turned a couple of notch's more than recommended. Nothing is worse than playing a game where you can't see anything.