• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
My old computer had a custom cooler because the stock fan was loud and not very good. But when I put together a new ryzen system, the consensus seemed to be that the stock was good and non stock was largely not necessary.
Until I was watching a gamer nexus video about the Nvidia 30 series where tech jesus scoffed at the very idea of some casual with a stock cooler buying a 3080.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Until I was watching a gamer nexus video about the Nvidia 30 series where tech jesus scoffed at the very idea of some casual with a stock cooler buying a 3080.
what an asshole lol

you'll definitely see better performance with an aftermarket cooler though, and tower air coolers aren't too expensive. personally I'd recommend getting a "real" cooler in general.

that said, if your system works for you it works for you, regardless of what tech jesus or linus sebastian or anyone else says

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think if you want to push your hardware, like Steve at GN suggests, a stock cooler will sort of limit you. But for most people not trying to push performance, it's probably okay. They are experts at what they do, and they are used to pushing benchmarks and performance, but that is not everyone's use case and that is fine.

In general though, I would say that there is some difference between stock and aftermarket. You'll get more headroom. That's mostly what it boils down to.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
It also depends on how much noise you can live with. I used the stock cooler for my I5 3570k for seven years. It did the job fine without much noise. Never felt the need to upgrade.

The stock cooler for my Ryzen 3700x though. It was so annoyingly loud it only lasted 2-3 months in my computer before I upgraded.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it generally accepted that if you're getting an aftermarket cooler, you're getting one to overclock? Like, it's not going to give a processor at stock clocks any extra oomph, right? I'm personally terrified to touch overclocking at all so I've never seen the point in my case of not using a stock cooler.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If your goal is squeezing every last drop of performance then yes you need better then a stock cooler, if you are buying a $700 or higher gpu you can probably afford a $20 reasonable aftermarket cooler for your cpu, which will be more quiet and keep your cpu (and by effect your whole pc) cooler.

But do you need one? No.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you have a 3700X or higher, an AIO cooler like a NZXT Kraken would do you some good, or even a Be Quiet or Noctua air cooler.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the amount of noise you can live with and if you want to overclock your CPU. I have been gaming for 25 years without using a single aftermarket cooler.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Stock Ryzen cooler is decent, but if you care about noise at all you'll want to replace that with a beefier cooler. Just invest in an NH-D15 and call it a day.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an aftermarket cooler not because I needed it, but because the fan that comes with the Ryzen 3700X was noticeably louder than my GPU (a 1080 Ti, also with a stock cooler) when the chip was under load. I wound up picking up a pretty simple Hyper 212 Black, and it's been almost inaudible under load since then.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
No. But if you're buying a 3080 then you're probably doing some heavy gaming where one would be needed to prevent throttling.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
If you're buying high-performance parts and/or intending to overclock for maximum performance, then you should also buy an upgraded cooler.

Otherwise I don't think there's much of a point.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Stock coolers typically start off ok in noise/temps but rapidly become very fucking loud and inefficient. You're better off getting a typical tower HSF for lower noise/better temps. The difference is massive.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
High-end Intel processors, like the i9 I'm looking at now, don't even come with coolers, heatsink, or even pre-applied thermal paste.

Nov 2, 2017
if you have a 3700X or higher, an AIO cooler like a NZXT Kraken would do you some good, or even a Be Quiet or Noctua air cooler.
An 80-100€+ cooler is just way too excessive for a 3700x. That's a third of the price of the CPU. There's much more to gain with spending that on a extra GPU/CPU power. I do however think it's worth to replace the stock cooler. There's plenty of excellent options in the 25-40€ range.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
The cooler than came with my AMD 2700X was obnoxiously loud as every time the CPU would boost for even a second it would hit 100% fan speed. My MB doesn't really do the averaging of temps over time (15s or 30s) thing (I have since bought Argus Monitor which works great and allows for these types of settings regardless of MB, there is also a free trial). Also got a cheap AIO (Coolermaster 240L IIRC, replaced fans with ~1200RPM fans).

If you are spending the money on a 3080 you might want to look into an AIO or higher end air cooler. If you are happy with current performance, it might not be necessary.

Also depends on whether you are going to be GPU or CPU bound. If you are going for lower res/high FPS a high end cooler may help more. If you are going for 4K/60 it might be less important.

Last edited:

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I've had the same stock i7-4770k cooler in my build since 2013. No issues. Granted, I don't overclock either.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a 3800, not doing anything to overclock it is just a bit of a waste. But it's perfectly acceptable.

Basically you are leaving performance on the table probably. You could be overclocking. But it's a very capable CPU, so it's not like you have to. But you could absolutely get more performance out of it with an aftermarket cooler.

I guess the idea is, if you paid so much for a high end CPU, you are getting a CPU that can do a lot, and you're only using some of it. But again pleeeenty of people leave it like that, and it's a very good CPU out of the box. Most people don't overclock their hardware.

So to someone who overclocks and knows how much performance you can get out of a 3800, they may be kind of puzzled why you'd leave so much on the table and think that's kind of silly.

hiro42

Apr 2, 2018
Normally I would say a stock cooler is fine unless you want to overclock. However, I just built a Ryzen 3600 system recently and the stock cooler was terrible for me. Too loud and too hot with on stock.

Invested in a Noctua nh-d15s. It's so awesome and quiet. CPU is super cool and have all cores overclocked to 4.45ghz. The cooler is excessive and expensive but it should last into future builds.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Do CPUs even still come with coolers? I feel like I haven't seen that in years.

I haven't OCd in a very long time, but I can't see myself going back to a fan after using an AIO.

That said, it'll get the job done if you're not OCing.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Do CPUs even still come with coolers? I feel like I haven't seen that in years.

I haven't OCd in a very long time, but I can't see myself going back to a fan after using an AIO.

That said, it'll get the job done if you're not OCing.
Most come with coolers yeah. Intel K series doesnt come with one but other than that i think most of them still do.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Is it generally accepted that if you're getting an aftermarket cooler, you're getting one to overclock? Like, it's not going to give a processor at stock clocks any extra oomph, right? I'm personally terrified to touch overclocking at all so I've never seen the point in my case of not using a stock cooler.

You may just be getting one for like noise for example. That's a big thing people do. Noctua makes some absolutely silent fan coolers. But it's kind of like I said in my above comment. You're buying something capable of incredible performance, and you're leaving a lot of it on the table.

That said it's possible you could just look for lower end stuff that is purely there to be quiet, for actually not too much. Be Quiet makes some. I had an FX-8320, which was a power hungry, hot, HOT chip. I got blue screens with the default cooler. I had to get a $30 Be Quiet cooler and that thing worked awesome. Reasonably quiet and all that. Eventually performance started getting worse and I got a few blue screens again, despite very reasonable temps. So I think I just murdered the poor thing too much. It's now a side PC until it runs itself in the ground lol.

Thankfully Zen CPUs aren't like that at all.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I've had the same stock i7-4770k cooler in my build since 2013. No issues. Granted, I don't overclock either.
That's sort of the thing now though. Not sure about that CPU but now AMD CPUs (and Intel's on different metrics) will boost as high as they can given power/thermal loads. So if a CPU is a few degrees cooler, it will boost frequency higher.

Basically automatic overclocking to whatever your cooler can take within spec and power limits.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would say a stock cooler is fine unless you want to overclock. However, I just built a Ryzen 3600 system recently and the stock cooler was terrible for me. Too loud and too hot with on stock.

Invested in a Noctua nh-d15s. It's so awesome and quiet. CPU is super cool and have all cores overclocked to 4.45ghz. The cooler is excessive and expensive but it should last into future builds.

Yeah you can invest in Noctua quality. I think it's even usually pretty trivial to get new mounting types too usually. And if not, it should not be hard to sell.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
what an asshole lol

you'll definitely see better performance with an aftermarket cooler though, and tower air coolers aren't too expensive. personally I'd recommend getting a "real" cooler in general.

that said, if your system works for you it works for you, regardless of what tech jesus or linus sebastian or anyone else says

Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus is definitely not an asshole. He scoffed at the idea not because of some silly hardware elitism but because if you're spending $700+ on your graphics card, you should at minimum be able to afford spending $20-30 on a budget aftermarket CPU cooler.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
3080 will pump hot air upwards towards CPU. So unless you have front fans for exhaust and back one for intake, its gonna pump hot air right over the heatsink of stock cooler.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus is definitely not an asshole. He scoffed at the idea not because of some silly hardware elitism but because if you're spending $700+ on your graphics card, you should at minimum be able to afford spending $20-30 on a budget aftermarket CPU cooler.

Yeah Steve is good people. Was surprised he is still rockin' an AMD FX system for his personal rig in a semi-recent video.

OP
OP
PersonAndStuff
Oct 27, 2017
That's sort of the thing now though. Not sure about that CPU but now AMD CPUs (and Intel's on different metrics) will boost as high as they can given power/thermal loads. So if a CPU is a few degrees cooler, it will boost frequency higher.

Basically automatic overclocking to whatever your cooler can take within spec and power limits.
That's interesting. Especially since I'm on a AMD 3600X which is on a lower end when compared to a beefie boy 3080.

Jun 17, 2018
This might be a silly question but would a non-stock cooler be quiter? I'm helping my dad build a gaming PC with a 3080 and want it to run as quiet as we can, are non-stock coolers generally better for this?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My old computer had a custom cooler because the stock fan was loud and not very good. But when I put together a new ryzen system, the consensus seemed to be that the stock was good and non stock was largely not necessary.
If you can afford to spend $700 on a 3080, please spend at least $50 on a non-stock cooler.
This might be a silly question but would a non-stock cooler be quiter? I'm helping my dad build a gaming PC with a 3080 and want it to run as quiet as we can, are non-stock coolers generally better for this?
WAY quieter.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think Noctua provides free mounts too.

I believe that is true yes. I don't have one yet though.

Worth it to consider then, even if my next CPU does come with a cooler. Thanks.

It's honestly incredible how unparalleled Noctua is.

But Be Quiet and Cooler Master are definitely up there as well. And there was another kind of no name brand and I cannot find it anywhere, but some smaller brand went and made a really impressive one and it's driving me nuts lol.

But man even like Cooler Master I remember came out with one that was really close to Noctua's NH-D15, and it still ended up performing better when they replaced the cooler master fans...with noctua fans lmao. I think it was Linus Tech Tips did it? I don't remember this was a while ago so my memory is fuzzy.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I see all the praise for Noctua (nothing wrong with that) but as for someone who wants a somewhat cheaper cooler I'll give a shout out to the Scythe Mugen series. I have a gen 1 on my current pc and it does the job very well especially for the ~€40 range, it has low temp and you can barely hear. I'm looking forward to the Mugen 5 rev.b I ordered and it seems it's still a pretty good cheap cooler from what I've seen.

hiro42

Apr 2, 2018
Honestly, I was looking to buy a Scythe cooler because they are almost as good as Noctua in terms of performance and noise but at a more reasonable price. But because of the pandemic there was no stock from Japan. Think they are back in stock now. Scythe is another good choice.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I see all the praise for Noctua (nothing wrong with that) but as for someone who wants a somewhat cheaper cooler I'll give a shout out to the Scythe Mugen series. I have a gen 1 on my current pc and it does the job very well especially for the ~€40 range, it has low temp and you can barely hear. I'm looking forward to the Mugen 5 rev.b I ordered and it seems it's still a pretty good cheap cooler from what I've seen.

WAIT yes Scythe. That might be the one I was thinking of. I heard their newest was pretty good. The original had some issues I thought.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note that historically, the FE "blower style" coolers on GPUs are notoriously noisy and not all that efficient at cooling. Which is why Steve scoffed at them, because his site is focused on enthusiast performance and empirical data.

I am inclined to agree with the sentiment that if you're spending 700$ on a GPU, why would you get an objectively inferior one instead of spending a hair more. You're already out in the weeds.

Nov 2, 2017
I was planning to get one as well, but it seem they're all out of stock around here. It's not even listed in a lot of stores. I can get one from Germany but the shipping makes it just as expensive as the Mugen 5 PCGH version, which is in stock. I think it's the same cooler just with an extra fan, right?

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I got a 6700 without a cooler so had to get my own (forza S). Just smashed some paste on was dripping out the sides, fan was a bit to wide made it fit by bending my ram over a bit. Forgot to plug the wire for the CPU fan in and had no room so pulled fan back out and made the ram move out the way again

Yea I love stock coolers so much easier to install, I lost even more hair and burst a few blood vessels installing the forza one. Dont listen to the lies its hard to install them very fidgety and should come with warnings they will increase stress levels. Stock is fine if the cpu you have is decent in the first place.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Stock Ryzen cooler is decent, but if you care about noise at all you'll want to replace that with a beefier cooler. Just invest in an NH-D15 and call it a day.

My initial instinct. But the size of the D15 will have the 3080 FE exhausting directly into the D15 - maybe even being blocked partly by the front fan. It should have enough headroom to deal but it is making me consider an AIO..

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I was planning to get one as well, but it seem they're all out of stock around here. It's not even listed in a lot of stores. I can get one from Germany but the shipping makes it just as expensive as the Mugen 5 PCGH version, which is in stock. I think it's the same cooler just with an extra fan, right?

Yeah it has an extra fan and the fans rpm are a bit lower (300 - 800 rpm instead of 300 - 1200 rpm) so it should be quieter.

BolognaOni

Oct 27, 2017
Was this really in reference to the CPU cooler or the GPU? The Nvidia blower designs on the FE cards have been terribad for a while now, but have the advantage of exhausting hot air.
The main issue with most stock CPU coolers is that they just blow down. Ok impingement flow is nice, sure, but it doesn't move the hot air out of the case. So you slap on more exhaust fans, run negative pressure and turn your case into a dust ball.
Getting a tower that blows towards the rear (exhaust), just makes a lot more sense.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I would spent 30€ on an aftermarket cooler just because they make less noise and your CPU might clock itself higher thanks to the lower temps.