• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
For those who have moved away, do you ever get really homesick and have a desire to move back ? I feel weird sometimes being the only person I know that has never been homesick , I left in 2013, last time I visited was in 2014 and I've had no desire to ever go back, not even to visit (though I will visit someday to see my grandmother). Some people have judged me for it , saying I am ungrateful for "abandoning" and forgetting my homeland, "denying" my ethnicity but I just have alot of bad memories of the place.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the food was amazing, easy access to REAL beaches, the colonial architecture, the do or death futbol. But then there was the racism and the economic collapse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
it's 20 mins away and such a shithole that the hospital I was born in closed down so no

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
honestly no

my hometown in vermont depresses the shit out of me, i genuinely do not like being there

its not a horrible place per se, but it is super boring and being there fills me with this malaise like the ghosts of being a teenager

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I was born in Biloxi, Mississippi, so that's a big no. Aside from the fact that I don't remember it at all and we moved away a little over a year later.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I don't hate my birthplace but I have no real emotional/sentimental attention to the place, I don't even miss family (except my grandma and a couple of cousins).

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes feel some nostalgia when I go back to visit my parents, but there's nothing that could make me actually move back there. It's not a very big town and every time I go visit it seems more and more like it's dying. Presumably from all the people my age moving away because there's nothing there.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I think it's important to separate birthplace from "place you grew up in"/hometown.

I'm actually currently living in my birthplace, but I was only here as a toddler and then moved to a town around two hours away where I spent the rest of my childhood. It's where my parents and one of my siblings currently live, so I would say it counts as my hometown.

I don't miss it one bit. I actively avoid going home as the memories are just too painful. I haven't lived there regularly for seven years and that is probably for the best. Hell, I've been here in my birthplace for five years as an adult and am ready to get out of dodge.

ErbilT

Oct 28, 2017
Henderson, NV.
I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about San Jose, CA in years, and the last time I was there in 2005 it was awful. So no I do not miss it.
I grew up in Campbell and when I became an adult, I moved to San Francisco. About 6 years ago I moved back to Campbell because I wanted my kids to go to the schools that I went to as they are all now incredibly good school districts, but couldn't hang with the rising rents and housing prices.

Ended up moving to Henderson, Nevada. Kids are in a great school district and I now live in a bigger house than I grew up in, and it cost me less than when we sold the house we grew up in 1997.

I still love my home, but it's insane. I don't think I can ever go back.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I sometimes feel some nostalgia when I go back to visit my parents, but there's nothing that could make me actually move back there. It's not a very big town and every time I go visit it seems more and more like it's dying. Presumably from all the people my age moving away because there's nothing there.
Same thing for me, the neightborhood where I grew up is a ghost town now, its depressing , I still have old pictures and videos of child me, my brother and our friends going around walks by the streets and playing in the jungle gym,.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't grow up there, so it's a bit different. But I often think of how my life would have been if I grew up there, in my own country and surrounded by family. I don't know if I'd ever move back.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
We moved before I was old enough to remember my birthplace. If you mean the place after that, we moved when I was 5 or 6, so still no. Other than being glad to grab a smash burger when work flies me in for a thing, I'd be fine never going back to Indiana again.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I get to go back just often enough that I'm fine with it. I also don't really think good ol' Yellow Springs, OH has aged particularly well.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even drive in the neighborhood where I was born and lived my first 18 months (south-side of Chicago) so not really.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reagan flooded my neighborhood with crack cocaine so I had to leave! I almost got jumped by teens when I was in kindergarten so the answer is no lol.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I miss are my immediate family. You could triple my salary and I wouldn't move back to my hometown.

edit: The town I grew up in anyway. I was born in another city but only lived there until I was like 3-4.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in small town Illinois and now I live in Chicago. Chicago is loud and overwhelming at times. I miss how cheap things are and how quiet things are back where my parents live, but it would be a difficult decision to move back.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah I live in Seattle and grew up in El Paso. I don't think I could live in El Paso with my skill set but I am looking for opportunities in Dallas so I can at least be in driving distance

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
honestly no

my hometown in vermont depresses the shit out of me, i genuinely do not like being there

its not a horrible place per se, but it is super boring and being there fills me with this malaise like the ghosts of being a teenager
My girlfriend and I just visited her parents in Burlington, VT. They just moved there a few months ago. I can't believe Burlington is the biggest city you guys have in VT. It's incredibly beautiful, and Market Street is pretty cool, but its too boring for me.

Upside is they're pretty darn close to Canada.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I still live in my birthplace but i've been trying to move to São Paulo for a long time now and i'm sure i'll never miss this damn city.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Yes and no. I was born and raised in a town that is now extremely wealthy on average, but my dad's family has been there for 4 generations and my mom's for 2. I used to want to move back there eventually, but there is literally no way it could ever happen in terms of housing cost, you have to be rich rich to move there these days.

My mom and my paternal grandparents still live there and I love going back to visit.

It is extraordinarily white though, which is something that would be hard to go back to. Like 99% rich white people.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the idealized childhood version of my hometown. That version of it exists only in my mind.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Not especially. I live about 18 miles away from it now. It has changed a lot, but I mean, a suburb's a suburb.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I never got away from it, unfortunately. I never will. I'm too old now.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I was born and grew up in hot, dry, ugly, dusty, smoggy, dirty, crowded, gross Riverside, CA. I now live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

No, I don't miss it at all. The last time I went back it was so depressing.

Oct 29, 2017
I grew up in Pontiac Michigan. My family still lives in the area. I miss them because we grew up close. But I can only stay in the area for an week. After 7 days, I start to get depression.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Sometimes. Grew up in back woods North Carolina. Miss that countryside, the BBQ, the seasons, and some cultural aspects. Not sure how well I'd do there these days with how long I've lived in California. I went back around 9 years ago and so much had changed in my old neck of the woods. I really miss things that will never come back like the old breakfast places along the 601 where you could get a standard short stack with grits and biscuits and gravy. Closest was a place called the Hungry House that was connected to the side of an old Phillips 66. Been gone for years.

Dec 2, 2017
No Birkenhead (North West England) holds literally nothing for me at all. Every time I go back its more run down and depressing.