• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Long cutscenes, yay or nay?

• Yes

Votes: 352 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 369 51.2%

• Total voters

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I will watch every cutscene jic I might miss an interesting convo. FFXIV handled all the transition b/t expac well like I always liked the huge final scene after fighting the bosses.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn the poll is literally 50/50 as of writing this. 203 to 203.

Anyway, my vote is "no" with the major caveat of being able to skip or fast forward through them. Witcher 3 letting you click through the dialogue piece by piece = good. Half-Life 2 and Bethesda forcing you to just sit there while people talk to each other = bad.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was so excited that the poll mirrored the thread title. A simple yes or no. And then you went and fucked it up by saying yay or nay which is the exact opposite of your thread title.

What is wrong with people on this board?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the third poll option: "I love 'em"...when they are well done and the story/characters are interesting that is.
Oh, I just realized thread title and poll question are different. :/

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan, but I have a pretty poor attention span and find myself looking at my phone a lot during them.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the game. For example don't have any problem with those LONG cutscenes in Kojima games.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I hate them. I have tried watching some after the fact on Youtube and that helped a little. Generally speaking, I avoid games that have them or skip them.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I hate cutescenes in 90% of the games there are some magical games that really add a lot of value with a cutscene but in most cases is just a filler with no real impact.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Get out of here with that shit.

I challenge you to play FF14 from basegame to its first expansion without skipping the dread and awfulness of its story, slow and terribly animated boring shitstory. Fuck I'm getting anxious just thinking about it.

If something is good it's good, but mostly it's not. I'm playing AC: Odyssey and even that I skip half the time.

Stuff like Last of Us, God of War, RDR 2 and Uncharted that come to mind right now I really liked though, but those cutscenes are done well enough.

You don't need to give me that challenge because I did do that. And it was very good. Skipping cutscenes in AC: Oddysey is baffling.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game. Kojima game? It better have long cutscenes. Any looter arpg? Get those cutscenes out of here.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If you have well written characters and an interesting narrative they're fine. Sadly most video games fail at doing either.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
They usually bother me a lot, when I'm just trying to see how a game is (for example, when browsing Game Pass).

I just want to see how it plays as soon as possible to see if it's worth getting into. Only then would I care for the cutscenes.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
If they are good, no.
At the end of an game, no.
But for the love of god let me pause or skip them.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love them if they're good. They should be a reward to make you keep playing. In Pokemon and Zelda they tend to just get in the way because the stories are so bad.

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't pause them, or god forbid, can't skip them, fuck yeah I mind. Outside of that, it depends on if the story and cutscenes grip me. Taking an example from the OP, you couldn't pay me enough to sit through Kojima's gobbledygook anymore.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the game has a compelling story I don't mind long cutscenes at all.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm all for it as long as you at least do this:
  • Let me pause in the middle of the cutscene
And at least one of these two:
  • Auto save during different parts of the cutscene so I don't have to fully rewatch the entire cutscene if the game crashes
  • Ask me during a cutscene's transition if I want to save before continuing on with the next part of the long cutscene

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
MĂ©xico - United States
10 mins. or less. Rest of the story needs to be told through gameplay. Maybe a single 18 min. (max) cutscene in a point in which a player would be already very engaged with the story.

I'm all for it as long as you at least do this:
  • Let me pause in the middle of the cutscene
And at least one of these two:
  • Auto save during different parts of the cutscene so I don't have to fully rewatch the entire cutscene if the game crashes
  • Ask me during a cutscene's transition if I want to save before continuing on with the next part of the long cutscene

I second this -- exactly. So annoying when I can't pause cutscenes.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Some things make it a lot more tolerable.

Can be paused
skippable
cut into separate pieces( one long cutscene but 3 separate slices for example)

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
Long cutscenes are the worst, especially in the beginning of a game. Just let me play dammit!

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
How long are we talking here?
There's a difference between 20 minutes "long" and 1 hour "long"

EDIT: 2 HOUR LONG ARE YOU CRAZY?

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Depends entirely on the game. KH3 had embarrassing cutscenes, but Naughty Dog has had long cutscenes blur by.

Let me pause though. Just in case. And fuck hour long ones

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Generally no, but it depends on the game and whether the cutscenes are actually good or not.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Dont be a boring cutscene and i could watch hours of it. Death Strandings final cutscenes were really good, so it didnt hurt the experience at all for me.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I usually like them. But only if the game is heavily story focused. I dont like them too much otherwise.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I don't skip story cutscenes, but after 5 minuters they're too long. I can buy 10min if it's the ending.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It really depends on the game and the quality of the scenes. I found the long cutscenes in Death Stranding extremely enjoyable to watch. The camera direction, weirdness and overall scene design is just incredible. It's visually interesting to watch.

...but there are plenty of games where I feel opposite this and the cutscenes add nothing. The worst offenders fall in the 2000-2010 range where developers create this cheap looking CGI sequences that just aren't interesting to watch at all.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
There's a time and a place for everything. Only like the ending cutscene can be long. Having a long one in the beginning just makes me scream internally that I just want to play the damn game.
Same with any cutscenes in the middle of the game. Tell me whats going on but don't take 5 minutes to do it.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Long cutscenes are usually interesting enough to watch the first time, and on a second playthrough you can skip them. So I don't mind. What I do mind are sequences where gameplay is infused with storytelling to the point where it becomes essentially an unskippable cutscene, like slowly walking behind NPCs while they talk at you in RDR2

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not using the poll because as usual on era, it doesn't make sense.
The cutscenes in mgsv 4 (I think it was 4!) that were like an hour long were just ridiculous and unnecessary, but the vast majority of games I don't mind a cutscene.
I suppose it depends how you define long but for me, if a game is designed well, it shouldn't need any long cutscenes