• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Do you mainly consume content from your country or not? Me being from North America I realized that other than Japanese video games I mainly prefer content from North America.

My favorite sports leagues are all (with the exception of the Premier League) based in NA: NHL, NFL, MLB and NBA. The comics I read are mostly Marvel and my favorite animated series are the classic cartoons like Mickey Mouse, Looney Tunes, Popeye the Sailor in addition to SpongeBob SquarePants. Most of the live-action movies I watch are from Hollywood. As stated before the only exception is video games where I mostly prefer Japanese ones.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
As long as it's good or interesting I don't care where it was produced or what type of characters are in it

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
If i had to stick to french entertainment... Well... Let's just say the nerd in me would be mighty sad and starved of content pretty quickly. I'm not a big client on unfunny crappy comedies and sad dramas about people from Paris in their thirties, with seem to constitute 95% of the french cinema output nowadays. And TV shows are few and ranging wildly in quality (with the good ones being pretty rare).

So in the end, i mainly consume North American because it's what's flooding the entire "western" entertainement world. But i can watch anything from anywhere, as long as it's good.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, for most content, it's North America. There's a handful of YouTubers and then there's Japanese products like games and a few select anime, but outside of that, it's pretty much all North American productions.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand 95% of content produced in Canada, other than music. We have a fantastic music scene.

But Canadian TV and film?

It's all basically Corner Gas. Like yeah I know there is good stuff here and there (Schitt's Creek obvs) but generally speaking Canadian shows and movies are an instant-turn off for me.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm Australian and I primarily consume American, UK, and Japanese entertainment. We don't produce that much here, let alone enough quality content to be my primary.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Not interested in seeing that dipshit Eugenio Derbez who seamlessly moved over from Televisa to Amazon Prime with awful shows and tried to make it into fucking Hollywood with bad movies.

Nah, would rather watch something from other places. My favourite thing about Netflix is the fact that they get distribution rights over stuff that I would have never watched, like the crime drama Trapped.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Overwhelmingly foreign, maybe 95% or so. A lot of Indian pop culture is trash and the stuff that's good is often depressing.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't stand 95% of content produced in Canada, other than music. We have a fantastic music scene.

But Canadian TV and film?

It's all basically Corner Gas. Like yeah I know there is good stuff here and there (Schitt's Creek obvs) but generally speaking Canadian shows and movies are an instant-turn off for me.
Most of our talent, both in front of and behind the camera, migrate to the States, where the big paycheques are.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Foreign. Dutch-produced stuff tends to be quite horrible outside of a few good comedy shows like Rundfunk and Sluipschutters.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't purposely look for non-Canadian content, but there just really isn't much of it compared to the rest of the world. My language is English so there is a pretty large pool of international content for me.

Out of any type of media, I definitely listen to more Canadian music than consume other Canadian content.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Foreign. I've had a hard time getting into Swedish entertainment in general for fifteen years now. Comedy's predictable, acting is hammy, writing is uninteresting. Not even sure what is going on in the music scene over here anymore. But that might be on me, though.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mainly consume content from your country or not? Me being from North America I realized that other than Japanese video games I mainly prefer content from North America.

My favorite sports leagues are all (with the exception of the Premier League) based in NA: NHL, NFL, MLB and NBA. The comics I read are mostly Marvel and my favorite animated series are the classic cartoons like Mickey Mouse, Looney Tunes, Popeye the Sailor in addition to SpongeBob SquarePants. Most of the live-action movies I watch are from Hollywood. As stated before the only exception is video games where I mostly prefer Japanese ones.
Produced? Companies film all over the world to take advantage of tax incentives and grants.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Too much american TV is about american exceptionalism. All of the cop, political, and hero worship is american propaganda that I refuse to watch.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Primarily foreign, but things can be foreign and be from the same place you live in. But generally foreign, and optimally not from the US.

"International" cinema is honestly today's best way of becoming a wordly citizen.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
For me, it comes in waves. As a big horror fan; there was a period where the best stuff was coming out of Asia. Then for a while it was France. It changes with the period.

But I guess mostly I prefer North American content because it's the easiest to acquire.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Mostly US for movies and TV, but for games I typically play Japanese stuff, as I'm really into gameplay and most western games have garbage gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
Most of our talent, both in front of and behind the camera, migrate to the States, where the big paycheques are.
Yeah of course. I don't blame 'em, just saying the ones that stay make me cringe most of the time.

LOL this is so true. Had some friend recommend Kim's Convenience and I'm just like, "This is Corner Gas".
Haha yes exactly. Those and like Little Mosque on the Prairie etc. Just no thank you haha.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I am into Western Television and Japanese anime around equally, but vastly prefer Japanese games compared to Western ones.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah of course. I don't blame 'em, just saying the ones that stay make me cringe most of the time.
Sometimes we get gems like Kids in the Hall, SCTV, Trailer Park Boys, and Schitt's Creek. Then there's the occasional short-run auteur show that CBC puts out, like The Newsroom or (forgotten gem) Twitch City. But, most of the CanCon budget goes to HGTV-like crap that can be sold in other markets.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought about this, but I don't have a preference. Will say that thanks to Netflix, I have watched more foreign shows (and films) than I have in the past.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
According to a Letterboxd, nearly half of the 203 the movies I watched in 2020 were Japanese films. 40% of the 200 films I watched in 2019 were also Japanese, as were 50% of the films I watched in 2018. I live in the USA.

(For those curious, most of the films are Japanese films of the 30s-60s (Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi, Keisuke Kinoshita, Kenji Mizoguchi... not actually s lot of Ozu to be honest), anime films are few and far between just because of how much harder they used to be to find streaming).

For games it's pretty much always primarily been Nintendo. My home country is only #1 for books/TV.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Foreign. Good Mexican TV and movies are the exception, not the rule. It is my belief that this has it's root in the media monopoly that ruled my country for decades, before being split between two networks until the early 90s.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a conscious preference but the vast majority of the content I watch is produced in the US.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The content having English audio, native or dubbed it makes no difference, is my preference. Where exactly the content came from after that is irrelevant. It's not a deal breaker though. I just have to be in a specific mood to deal with subtitles in TV shows or movies. I have subtitles on in video games by default so it doesn't matter much there.

Last edited:

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'll watch the occasional Canadian-made stuff like Schitt's Creek or Kids in the Hall, but I mostly watch US-made shows and movies, and I think that's probably true of most Canadians. The problem is that all the best Canadian talent ends up working in the States anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious from your avatar, how did you get into the NHL being from New Zealand?
While working in the ski industry I formed friendships with plenty of Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis, and we got 'em all into hockey through playing NHL on the PlayStation and watching NHL games as a house (due to the Canadians doing it anyway). I don't how much they're all still into it outside of one buddy in Auckland who watches just enough to talk shit about the Leafs to me, but for a few years there they were all aboard the hockey train.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Since I come from Finland, a country with a population of little over 5 million, it's always going to be foreign. I did see (partly thanks to COVID-19) more Finnish films at the cinema this year than probably any other year ever (4 films).

About 35 - 40% of the films I watch are not in English though. It would be nice to get that closer to 50% for this year but it's hard when like 95% of the easily available content here is in English.

For books, the split is much closer than for films: probably like 20% Finnish, 80% foreign. For music it's probably even closer than that. Though COVID-19 and the lack of gigs and festivals has decreased my music consuption drastically in general since last March.

I don't think I have played a Finnish videogame since Baba Is You. Maybe I should finally give Cities: Skylines a change since it's on sale for the Switch.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Lots of the music I listen to is from my province, and we make good movies and TV as well. I like some canadian TV classics like Trailer Park Boys and SChitt's Creek, but I rope them all into foreign content because it might as well be, we don't really grow up on this stuff and it's not our language, not our artists, etc. There's some good stuff coming out of Canada though.

My most listened to "styles" on spotify for 2020 were Indie Québécois and Indie Pop, so I guess most of my music is from here. When it comes to TV I'd say it's a lot broader, but I don't watch a lot of movies. When I do watch movies, I use Mubi so I never know what I'll get.

Video games is pretty much from everywhere as well, currently going through a lot of japanese games but it's not always the case. The only sports I watch are NHL and NBA, but I don't have a real team to root for in any of those so I just randomize it for NBA, and just watch games in NHL because I know the game more.

When it comes to books I read mostly québécois and all francophone country authors. And some classics from other countries as well, I'm not closed to anything, like the last big series I read was ASOIAF!

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter where it's made, as long as it's good, and got subtitles/dubbing, but sometimes, not even that is needed.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
99% of what i consume is foreign, i'm from switzerland

i watch some swiss movies sometimes, but it's reaaaally rare, usually if it's something really good that got recommended a lot, which doesn't happen often

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
British here, I'd say the majority of my content is from the U.S. but a fair amount of UK stuff too.

Don't really have a preference, they can both be great.

Oct 27, 2017
Since I come from Finland, a country with a population of little over 5 million, it's always going to be foreign. I did see (partly thanks to COVID-19) more Finnish films at the cinema this year than probably any other year ever (4 films).

About 35 - 40% of the films I watch are not in English though. It would be nice to get that closer to 50% for this year but it's hard when like 95% of the easily available content here is in English.
Heavy Trip was awesome!

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Most of what I consume is from the US.

TV is the only medium though where it's like 99.9% US. As I mostly watch comedies, other country's humor doesn't gel with me I guess.

The only two foreign TV shows I can think of are British Bake Show and Schitt's Creek (I think it's made in Canada right?).