• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you lose interest in a game because it is first person only?

• Yes

Votes: 213 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 310 23.1%
  • Prefer Third person

Votes: 302 22.5%
  • Prefer First person

Votes: 113 8.4%
  • Doesn´t matter, both perspectives give me equal joy.

Votes: 404 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ColorsFade

Jul 6, 2020
Palouse, Washington, USA
I lose complete interest if it's 3rd person. I hate having 1/6th of the screen blocked by my character's backside.

The only game where I've found this remotely acceptable was Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I'll occasionally play an FPS or first-person horror game, but I generally dislike first-person games. First-person RPGs are especially upsetting. I want to see my character.
Basically this. Outside of a handful of FPSes or horror games, the first person perspective immediately turns me off.

I think the last first person game I actually paid money for was Killzone: Shadow Fall at the ps4's launch.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If that's why you prefer first person over third, whatever. Still doesn't make your original analogy work.
My point was 1st person gives greater immersion and is more realistic, obviously depending on the game. Some like to see their character at all times, some get motion sickness. My analogy was more in reference to all the complaints of Cyberpunk 2077 since that is the artists intent just like how movies with black bars on top are the artists intent and how it was filmed, but many used to hate the black bars just like how many seem to hate Cyberpunk using 1st person.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
At some point I realised that in first person my character is basically walking around with objects held up just in front of thier chin, and now I can't unsee it. Spoiled everything.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
First person viewpoints, be that gaming or books, are usually extremely limiting in what you can do or present. It massively waters down any experience and ruin the fun. I mean, they're not really first person, are they? The games feel like a camera with floating guns.

I tend to think of first person games, narratively, as actually second person - the same way that choose your own adventure books we're always second person: "you walk into a room, you switch on the lamp, somewhere above your hear a whining and a pop."

Third person gaming feels the same narratively, as third person fiction or film.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer first person. I find it more immersive, and think aiming is better in first person compared to third. Sucks for those who can't play them.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
These days yes. Just don't see the need for first-person anymore when modern third-person exists.
Third-person cameras limit the environmental design of a game.
You can't do tight, densely packed, or intentionally claustrophobic environments well in a third-person game because the camera breaks so easily (fixed camera angles are another thing entirely).
You can't explore a space in third-person to the degree that you can in first. Except for maybe something like an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game which was designed for first-person with an optional third-person camera slapped on, third person games don't have interactions like opening up a drawer and looking through it to find a specific item, or looking through a bookshelf for a specific book. These interactions are simplified to pressing X next to the giant glowing drawer/bookshelf etc.

How many third-person games can have an equivalent to something like crawling through the vents in Alien: Isolation and observing an event happen through a small grating?
Where is the tension of a scene like early in Resident Evil 7 when you're trying to escape from Jack in a new environment, if you can see him coming from around the corners?
Where's the suspense in a stealth game if you aren't able to make mistakes and have to react quickly because you turned a blind corner and ended up face-first with some guards?

There's a lot of things you can't do properly -if at all- in third-person; and these are only a few examples.

At some point I realised that in first person my character is basically walking around with objects held up just in front of thier chin, and now I can't unsee it. Spoiled everything.
This is one of the "sins" of bad first-person design, which scales the viewmodel FOV separately from the camera FOV - if it even scales at all.
In some cases, it's a source of motion sickness for me - where increasing the camera FOV to my usual setting made things worse due to the greater difference between the two.

I've said it many times, but I really do think that for the majority of people who have issues with first-person games, it's actually due to a lack of proper options to make them comfortable, rather than the perspective itself - particularly in the console versions of a game, where they tend to be more limited.
Even on PC though, I'm having to mod games to fix a lot of the things which can cause motion sickness.

I had to mod DOOM/DOOM Eternal to fix this by manually correcting the viewmodel scale so that it matched the FOV:
doomhands-2-9njyf.gif

The default feels like the gun is inches from your face.
What should be happening is that as you increase the FOV, you see more of the model, like this:
doomhands-87kvh.gif

Far too many games keep the viewmodel the same size no matter the FOV.

In RB6 you weren't limited to that first person with the crosshair. I used this, I used it from the time it was launched. You think it's cheating, fine, I think it's a quality of life view since it seemed way too close up.
LcGH8hA.jpg
Huh, I completely forgot that there was an optional third-person mode in the older Rainbow Six games. I don't know if I ever used that.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted YES - with the exception of VR content.

Primary reason is I generally don't like the story telling mechanics employed with First Person games.
Often, either your character is mute(ie. no character) or you're choosing replies from a list of text options where what's said doesn't match your expectations.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Disappointed to hear Avowed won't have third person toggle like TES, that actually does turn me off a bit. I prefer open world character customization-heavy games to allow me to see my guy in action.
I don't think this was confirmed. Obsidian's Job postings suggest otherwise. They also mentioned on their discord that "future games" like Grounded would have third person toggles after they heard the requests from The Outer Worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. About 70ish percent of FPP games trigger intense motion sickness for me that I just can't get past. The other 30 percent I can tackle with medication, but the medication makes me feel like ass too.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I feel for people who suffer from motion sickness but personally speaking, no. And there are great reasons to make a game exclusively in first-person mode. I recently finished Alien Isolation and I cannot imagine the game being as tense and oppressive in third person mode compared to first person mode.

Oct 27, 2017
I love both. Never had any issue with either.

With that said, I do like customizing my characters so if a game has that then I would love to be able to switch whenever I want.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Don't care. I like both. Ideally there's an option for those who have a strong preference.