• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you you lock your doors when you are home?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 1,526 81.0%
  • No, only at nights.

Votes: 198 10.5%
  • Sometimes locked sometimes not

Votes: 123 6.5%
  • I never lock my doors even if I’m not at home

Votes: 37 2.0%

• Total voters

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only at night in a detached home. When we lived in an apartment we would lock it all the time.

Unlocking/relocking every time I let the dog out sounds like a pain.
As I've posted in this thread before, it takes two seconds to work the mechanism to lock/unlock the door. It's really not all that much of a pain compared to being safe.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The only time my door isn't locked is when I'm going in and out for whatever reason (like checking the mail) or when there's a billion people over. Other than that, doors are locked regardless of the time of day and regardless of the fact that I'm in a gated HOA.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
the friday before mlk day someone straight up walked into my house as my wife was bringing stuff in from the car after running errands. without getting into the situation (unless someone was interested), it ended just fine. but some crazy shit was racing through my head in those few seconds.

people that don't lock their doors when it takes 0.001% effort, i will never understand you.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I do now. Not out of paranoia, just I tend to not leave the house much nor go near my door often. If I don't lock it when I come in, I'll most likely just forget to. I will leave it unlocked if I'm expecting company or something.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Of course I lock it. Why would I keep it unlocked? Now, I live in a pretty safe area in a pretty safe country and worst case scenario with having unlocked door would probably be some drunk young tenant mistakenly walk into wrong apartment, as mostly being teens living here and some hot single women. Still keeping my door unlocked.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
For our German and adjacent friends doors in the US, and based on some posts in this thread in the UK, have handles on both the inside and the outside and are either in a locked or unlocked state. When the door is unlocked it can be open from the outside without the use of a key. Most doors will also have a deadbolt, which I'm assuming is what you mean by more locked.

My doors are locked 100% of the time unless I'm quickly going in and out for something like to have a cigarette or to bring in groceries.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I had fights with both of my college roommates because of this. They were utterly baffled by the concept of locking the door when they left the room and why I might be mad about it being left unlocked. It's a very simple concept with really no downside (I can see an issue of, in a college dorm, maybe not wanting to bring your keys to the shower, but that's about it).

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
We only do at bedtime. A lot of our family and friends come and go to visit or whatever else.

Good_Day!

Banned
Jan 25, 2021
The man, along with 22-year-old Ryan Mason, was convicted of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of the Oshawa grandmother in her King Street seniors apartment. The two had broken into Mrs. Ustupski's apartment in May 2004 to rob her, but the incident ended in murder when the frail woman awoke to find the intruders in her home. Her body was discovered by a neighbour that afternoon -- Mother's Day. She had been stabbed several times, the lethal wound a cut to her throat that severed her jugular vein.
Link

I used to work with this piece of work, Ryan. He got drunk and was high on E and whatever else he could get his hands on. Him and his buddy were out of money so they had heard of this lady whom kept her apartment door unlocked. People would go and steal from her. They knew the building and floor she lived on but not the apartment number. So they went to the fifth floor and began checking doors. The first one they found unlocked they did this to her. Left her to bleed out and threw a blanket over her face.

So ya, since this incident I always keep the door locked.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Yeah add locking your doors to the era bubble.

I mean, Era is kind of harmless. The same thread in the old place would end in pictures of gun arsenals and the goal to kill everyone who just looks at someone's door.

For our German and adjacent friends doors in the US, and based on some posts in this thread in the UK, have handles on both the inside and the outside and are either in a locked or unlocked state. When the door is unlocked it can be open from the outside without the use of a key. Most doors will also have a deadbolt, which I'm assuming is what you mean by more locked.
Yeah that's what I thought. The whole concept of doors is different. I thought about extra locking the door with the deadbolt.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It takes less than 30 seconds to open an unlocked door with just a sheet of plastic. I know, I've seen a locksmith do it right in front of me.

So yeah that shit's locked.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Never lock my door when at home. You can't open it from the outside without a key anyway.

Never seen outside-leading doors that just have a handle on the outside, lol.

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
Of course I lock my door. It takes 2 seconds to turn the knob on the inside to lock, why wouldn't I do that for the extra security?

Someone mentioned insurance, at least here in Sweden you will get a reduction in your insurance if someone breaks in and steals with the door unlocked. Somewhere 25-50% less in return if I remember correctly. That is reason enough to look the door, even though the chance of a break-in is very small.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically just how front doors work in the UK by default, unless you mean do I double lock when indoors, which in that case no.

(In the UK, front doors can only be opened without a key from the inside. If your door is shut, nobody can just walk in)

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Always.

Can't help myself, going through my front door is always ending with me locking it afterwards. That's a muscle memory at this point, i don't even think about it anymore (yes, i even lock the door when i'm just out checking my mailbox).

And since my cats can open doors, it's better that way.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
No because I don't live in a place where crime is an issue, I also don't have family or friends who live that close by, I also don't have family or friends who would just walk into my house uninvited or without knocking or ringing the bell and waiting to be let in. I lock my door at night purely because my dogs go downstairs sometimes at night and one may jump up and pull the handle down and get out.

At my old house on two separate occasions I left my door keys in the door after unlocking it when arriving home super late and being too tired and distracted to realise, both times I've had a neighbour walk past my door the next day and just knock and when I came down mention that my keys were in the door still.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do, makes me feel safe even if I know nothing will ever happen. I have nothing to lose.

And no, I'm not in the US or a remotely dangerous city, far from it.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically just how front doors work in the UK by default, unless you mean do I double lock when indoors, which in that case no.

(In the UK, front doors can only be opened without a key from the inside. If your door is shut, nobody can just walk in)

Not true at all for the whole UK. My house, my mums, my entire family all have doors that can be opened from the outside if you don't manually lock it yourself when inside. It isn't uncommon for my mum to just leave hers unlocked so people can walk in if they arrive there to see her.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Always unlocked, except at night, if we remember.. but that is the difference between living in a quiet, and very safe rural location in SW England, rather than large town or city. When we lived in town the front door was locked by default as it was a Yale type, needing a key from outside, but, even there I wouldn't have felt particularly worried leaving it open, and we sometimes did have it wide open in hot weather. It just depends where you are, and appreciate the risk would be too great in some locations.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Not true at all for the whole UK. My house, my mums, my entire family all have doors that can be opened from the outside if you don't manually lock it yourself when inside. It isn't uncommon for my mum to just leave hers unlocked so people can walk in if they arrive there to see her.

Same goes for France. Most doors here are "normal". I'd say it's mostly city center doors that can't be opened without the key from the exterior. And even then, the only of the sort i've ever seen have been in Paris.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off

That's not true at all, every place I have ever lived once the door is unlocked it can be opened and closed infinitely.

I'm in Scotland, have also llived in England for 10 years, mix of houses and flats over the years.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't, then a guy that was working 6 floors under my appartment entered my home "by mistake", let's say I didn't take it well.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Seriously, to anyone that doesn't have a handle and says "you need the key to come in, so no need to lock"

Here's your average burglar's response:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
we literally have people who walk in with shotguns, shoot you, and slowly empty your house.

it's expensive out there. and our things are worth more than our lives? hell yeah the door stays locked.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
omg lol I shit you not after my first and only post in this thread about 10 hours later some random guy tried opening my front door. door unlockers can fuck themselves. score one for the smart peeps.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I live in one of the safest countries in the world in a building that requires a fob to access. I lock my doors at all times. I dont really see why you wouldnt. I often come home to my front door being unlocked however as my wife often doesnt lock it but that is usually just forgetfulness rather than a policy.

My father in law lives out in the bare countryside where the only homes near him are owned by elderly people and folk he has known all his life. He leaves the doors unlocked when he is at home, not when he is out though. As some of these local people come and go and people in the house are often coming and going too, I can kind of see it. Beyond that example, I would never dream of it and if I was him I would lock it even in that situation.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true at all, every place I have ever lived once the door is unlocked it can be opened and closed infinitely.

I'm in Scotland, have also llived in England for 10 years, mix of houses and flats over the years.
Well that's interesting. I've lived in multiple places in the south of England and the Midlands, and that's how it has worked in all of them

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I live in a city where I know a few friends who got robbed while they where inside the house. So yeah, it's locked.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly forget about it and lock it before bed.

Reminder that home invasion as shown in movies basically never happens.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I lock them before I go to bed but not during the day if I'm home, I live somewhere with very low crime though, it's never really something I've thought about