• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
No. London is too big and busy for me. I do suspect I might someday move back into Manchester when the kids are older, though.

Sofo

May 9, 2019
Oslo
Yeah, but I would hardly qualify Oslo as a big city. I am originally from Spain (only studied in Barcelona - wish I had gotten to live there). I prefer how practical it is to live in a big city.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I lived just outside DC on the Maryland side for a few years. It was really nice in some ways. It was a 5 minute walk to the Metro, so I could hop on and go to the museums or zoo or whatever else when I was feeling bored. On the other hand it was expensive and crowded and I definitely had to be more vigilant about crime. I'd really love to live somewhere where I don't need a car and there's plenty of culture to take in, but I'm not sure if I'd like to be in DC in particular.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Yes (Paris), and I couldn't imagine live in anything other than one the top 3 biggest cities (Lyon, Marseille) in this country anyway. Give me people, movement, energy, thanks.

I don't care for calm and quiet but fortunately for those who do there are many places in France very comfortable for their lifestyle.
I lived in Paris for 3 years and loved it, think that nowadays I'd prefer Lyon but I was in Bordeaux last year and it seemed like it would be a great city to live in. Very beautiful, great restaurants, countryside, on the coast and very close to Spain.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I live in my province's capital, which is much larger than my country's capital, which also happens to be located in my province.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Hello fellow DC-ers/Washingtonians.

Love the District and hope never to move elsewhere.

edit:
I also lived in my former state's capital. It was better than the surrounding countryside, but did not compare to the college towns or actual major cities in the state.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
No. I don't think I could ever live in London. It's far too big and bustling for my liking. I would totally live in a smaller city like Sheffield though.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I grew up in small towns and around farms, living in London, I couldn't take that pace of life, no thanks.

Soon Scotland will be independent then it will be Edinburgh, which, again, no. I don't do big cities, I like visiting them, but I couldn't live there.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Moved to Vienna when doing my Masters, don't really see myself going back to a small town again. Maybe for retirement?

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live in the state capital of Texas, if that counts.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no desire to ever move to DC. It's nice to visit, but that's about it. I don't even live in the state capital. I'm perfectly happy in Kansas City. Don't know if it qualifies as a big city for some of you, but it's way bigger than what I grew up with, so it counts for me.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
No, but not too far. I'm about an hour and a half from Washington DC

I live in a fairly rural area

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. I'm done with city life, but I live close enough to London if I have to go in for something. Which nowadays, is not a lot.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No. I am in the capital city of my province, and my province is bigger than a whole lot of countries in the world, but it's also not even close to being a "big city" (approx. 200K).

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I do currently (Washington, DC), but I think my wife and I are actually going to put in an application today for a place just outside the city to move to at the end of the year. It's just too expensive to live here, and given that there's nothing to do and nowhere to go for the foreseeable future due to COVID, being in "the heart of it" doesn't really provide any benefits currently. Plus I have no real congressional representation as a resident of this city, and my wife was born and raised here, and she's getting tired of being surrounded by the constant gentrification and seeing the places she used to know and love change radically and push out the culture she grew up in. Just time for something new, and something more affordable.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Nope, and never will. There's nothing wrong with Dublin, I just won't ever live there, in the same way that I won't ever live in Vienna or Tokyo or Buenos Aires.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nope. I was born in London but the family moved out when I was young. I go to the beer festival at the Olympia most years and that's enough for me. Way too noisy.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Kind of sounds like they're doing it wrong, no?

There really isn't any reason to make the biggest city your political center. Honestly, medium sized cities are much better suited for it. It would be a massive pain to host all federal government functions in overcrowded cities like LA or NYC (both for the government and for residents).

It's fairly common to keep them separate. Here are all the countries where the capital is not the biggest city (source).

1920px-Capital_not_largest_city.svg.png

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not really. Capitals are the seat of government, not population or economy.
There really isn't any reason to make the biggest city your political center. Honestly, medium sized cities are much better suited for it. It would be a massive pain to host all federal government functions in overcrowded cities like LA or NYC (both for the government and for residents).

It's fairly common to keep them separate. Here are all the countries where the capital is not the biggest city (source).

1920px-Capital_not_largest_city.svg.png
I think that's a uniquely American problem. Europe seems to manage fine (other than Germany, anyway).

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I think that's a uniquely American problem. Europe seems to manage fine (other than Germany, anyway).

It's hardly unique to America - it's around 40 countries, often on the larger end.

Europe is a clear outlier in this and I suspect it's largely due to legacy.

The one with overcrowded cities being a problem for governments.

India, Brazil, Turkey, Australia, Nigeria, Myanmar, Pakistan, Morocco, Cote d'Iviore, etc...

The list includes the population ratios between the biggest city and the capital. Many chose cities with relatively few residents over cities with 4M+.

Last edited:

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
No, I'm 2596 miles from the US Capital.
421 from my state (California) Capital.
In fact, I'm closer to Arizona's Capital.

No, I'm not a big city person.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, it's overpriced. (London). I live in one of the cheapest cities in the country (Hull) which I like (I'd also like to live in Manchester/Liverpool too maybe).

London is nice to visit, the tube is a novelty and there is a ton going on there and some good food but it's too big and too pricey.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, Europe is the outlier when there's ~40/193 countries that do it. Some people just want to argue.

Europe is a continent. The map clearly shows that it's rare in Europe and common in every other continent. That makes it an outlier.

You claimed this is "a uniquely American problem" by citing Europe. This is objectively wrong, the rest of the world is not like Europe.

When presented with examples you choose to make personal attacks. That's on you.

Last edited: