• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like it when games have New Game + exclusive content?

• Yes

Votes: 250 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 258 50.8%

• Total voters

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I'll keep things vague so I don't spoil any games unintentionally. The two most recent games I've played, Spiderman: MM and now Ghost of Tsushima have had abilities/content exclusive to New Game +. I'm sure other games have done this in the past, but I believe this is the first time I've run into it. It just seems odd to put some of the coolest sounding charms/abilities exclusively in NG+ for games like GoT which is already a game I'm going to play for many, many hours. With Spider-man it makes a bit more sense because the campaign is relatively short in comparison.

I understand maybe wanting to give players something to look forward to if they ever revisit your game. But I have to wonder how many people missed out on petting the dog and what it does in GoT?

Based on trophies it looks like 5.3% of players have that particular trophy on PSN.

Do you like NG+ exclusive content, or would you prefer it be available if you complete the game or get 100%?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've downloaded completed saves in games like Trails of Cold Steel so I can get some NG+ stuff on my first playthrough. I don't have time for that.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, in general. Depends on the nature of the content, but I like having new stuff overall

It's all a matter of perspective, but I prefer to not be aware of it in my first playthrough through—if there's a list of things to accomplish or collect that I can see from the start, I want that to be completable on the first go around. More content that becomes available upon starting NG+ is fine though.

Shades

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet & Clank games were early examples in my mind

Especially makes sense in this scenario

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yes.

Cause I just beat Link's Awakening for the first time today and now I'm sad that I beat it but don't wanna start it again because....well nothing is new.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Replaying Miles right now actually, and it gives me an excuse to replay Miles (which is the only NG+ I've ever done), I'd say it would depend on the game

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Of course. Otherwise, you're just playing the same exact game other and other, which sucks as there's nothing new.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sure, it incentivizes replays, which is always a plus in my book. Rewards for both general completion and 100% completion are fine.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
No, nor do I enjoy it when a game gives me multiple advancement paths/branches or to follow or affinity trees that I can't max out all of on a single playthrough.

I didn't mind it as much with Nier:Automata because each of the replays is pretty dramatically different from the others, but that's an outlier.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I can prefer post-game content to New Game+ content. Honestly it's the biggest thing holding me off from playing Nier, sadly.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Sure, why not. I'll never play it probably but I don't need to see everything, and I think it's cool to provide extra novelty to your most dedicated players.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No. Not usually no.
I rarely replay games so I like to have as much available as possible my first playthrough.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
It depends if it's early or day one like ratchet and clank and I'm still hooked yes. When it's late like GoT or GoW I haven't bothered.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i mean yeah
whats the point of a new game + that is the old game to a T

if im replaying it i want it harder, i want to see the branches i missed, and i want some extra new content too if possible

A.M.R

May 17, 2020

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
No matter how much I love a game I never go past the ending credits to ng+ . Games occupy a certain title by title vacancy that I reserve till those credits roll. I already know what I'll be playing next and never want to run through for a second go until it's been a long time and I want to return to that world

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it means the developer bothered to include NG+ and actually put effort into it.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
This is actually a big reason why I love Dark Souls II the most in its series. So many nice changes in NG+

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time no. Because most of the time my 2nd playthrough is years down the road, and I really hate when you have to do literally everything to unlock cool new thing, when cool new thing would have been useful back when I was doing everything.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
It depends entirely on the kind of game and kind of content. In fact this is so incredibly conditional, it's incredibly impossible for me to give a generalized answer.

That's like asking me if I like ingesting things. Literally the act of ingesting itself is irreelvant, the determining factor is 100% the thing being ingested.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how it's done and how long the game is. Vagrant Story did it really well, letting you keep your character and being able to overpower most things in the main game the second time around, but also having some new more level appropriate areas that couldn't be explored earlier. It also wasn't too long, so going through it a second time was manageable.

i mean yeah
whats the point of a new game + that is the old game to a T

if im replaying it i want it harder, i want to see the branches i missed, and i want some extra new content too if possible

I mostly like it if I can start on the same difficulty again and then power through with my overpowered characters, to see how big a difference end game characters make in different encounters throughout the game. If the difficulty goes up in New Game Plus I rarely replay the game.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, nor do I enjoy it when a game gives me multiple advancement paths/branches or to follow or affinity trees that I can't max out all of on a single playthrough.
NG+ exclusive stuff bugs me but skill trees that are impossible to max out are great for differentiating playthroughs and making conversation with other players. It's especially interesting in more focused games like Deus Ex or Diablo.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. Souls games I don't really like it as that is a game where you make multiple chars. First time around it's cool and interesting but after that it just creates more time investment.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The last thing I want to do after I beat a game is play a way easier version of it. As such, I typically don't do New Game+ and would prefer if there wasn't content exclusive to it.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
No. New content in NG+ makes another playthrough a requirement instead of an optional thing (if you want to experience everything the game has to offer). It's also supremely frustrating when a relatively easy game locks its harder difficulties until after you beat the game. Pisses me off when RPGs, of all games, do this.

I definitely understand that it's a business decision, made to get people to hold on to their physical discs for longer. Still, fuck that shit!

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Nope, I don't like new game+ exclusive content.
I usually play a game once and put it aside, given how little time I have to game lately.
A solution I'd find more pleasant is if all contents were accessible, but just extremely hard to unlock the first time through. Those could be made easier through new game+ features.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I'm fine with stuff like extra abilities or gear as NG+ generally tends to be harder and some added variety is always a good choice.

In terms of meaningful content like cutscenes or encounters or story stuff though, I'm not a fan.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what it is and how significant it is.

Like, having to go through Miles Morales again to get the platinum, with the new stuff being next to nothing? That suuuucked. How Falcom has handled it in Cold Steel onwards? Fucking terrible.

... But Spider-Man on PS1 with it's What If? mode? SICK!

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
No. Locking difficulty modes behind New Game + is a shitty thing to do, for example. Just let me play the game the way I want to the first time.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
For JRPGs, no. They're long enough. For the rest, I don't mind as much. I like how FFVII-R does it.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I appreciated that bosses gained some new attacks in later NG+ Sekiro runs.

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like extra abilities or upgrades? Absolutely. It's big enough to help spice up a mew playthrough but small enough that I won't be upset if I don't get it on a first run.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
NG+ exclusive stuff bugs me but skill trees that are impossible to max out are great for differentiating playthroughs and making conversation with other players. It's especially interesting in more focused games like Deus Ex or Diablo.

Skilltrees and loadouts are less of an issue for me than, for example, social links.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No.

Especially if they are 90 hours long, completely linear and full of annoying dugneons. Not dropping names tho.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
yah but very few games did it.

The only games that i've played with NG+ features changes to content and drops are Dark Souls 2 (more/different enemies placements, ++items drops) and God of War (not just harder but modified enemies and ++ runes).

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
absolutely, yes. even if never get to discover it. I love rewarding players and going that extra mile

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For Miles Morales it was fine since the main story takes about 4 hours to complete, but locking content behind a 40+h long game like GoT is ridiculus.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I love it, but don't tell me about it in my original play-through.
But wouldn't you likely know that before you even started just based on general interest in the game? Especially a game you're looking forward to?

Vote No, but it does depend. If your game is long and NG+ opens up some big thing, I don't like it. If it's collectibles or carrying over your character at a higher difficulty, then yeah.

The concept generally doesn't appeal to me. Borderlands and Diablo are examples are things that I do enjoy, though.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
If it's a short game, sure—if it's long, I want to be able to engage with whatever content I want in one play through. I have to really love the game to play through multiple times, and usually it's not to do content that got unlocked in NG+ but rather content I missed my first time through.