• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It very much bothers me and I will avoid that cashiers line in the future. There's one guy at my store that does this and I can't deal with it. He gets very loud and obnoxious.

I much prefer a cordial, just polite and simple business transaction.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Abso-fucking-lutely not. Do not comment on any movies, games, books, medications, or really any items for that matter that I'm purchasing. Self checkout is always preferred, but if not available your one and only job is to ring me out. Civility is fine, familiarity is not.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
My problem is they make small talk with the people in front of me and then proceed to say absolutely nothing good when I notice a problem with the items that they scan, scanned twice or whatever, they get really pissed.

Usually all I have to do is call them out on their BS and how they were able to carry conversation earlier and not mess up and that keeps it going. I deal with enough, ain't going to give them anything, with one exception (doordashes).

But yeah. I say little and prefer not to do non automated checkouts.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Never speak to me and thankfully they never do here. Just hello, amount to pay and bye.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I only find it odd when I'm buying food and the cashier asks me if it's good. For a while I got that a lot.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
No because the transaction is usually quick and it ends prematurely. In other cases, it ends too quickly and you run out of things to say.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
As long as it's not part of an up sell, I'm fine with giving a cashier some positive small talk. That little stuff gets people thru the day.

The key is always knowing how to keep it brief and keep it moving.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I dont care but if the person behind me in line does this I'm going to tell them to mind their own business. Hate when strangers say shit like "you know those are really bad for you" or "ugh, I liked you until I saw you put that steak on the counter"..

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a teacher, so I do enjoy buying $300 worth of supplies and having someone say "Is this for your class?"

One day I will work out the courage to stare a psychotic hole through them and say "No, these are for me. I love crayons."

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I mostly only comment on good candy that I also like to buy. Basic comments like "I love these" or "These are great". Only positive stuff, would never say I hate anything someone is buying.

Gotta keep the positive vibes during these 10 hour shifts of running around the store doing everything.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
In my entire life don't think a cashier has ever small talked specifically about my purchases.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind at all as long as they're positive. Someone saying like, "oh I had these chips once and I didn't really like em" is the worst cause all I feel I can really say is "oh... Okay."

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Had a whole hilarious conversation about the superiority of Parboiled rice versus Jasmine rice at the checkout last week. Finally found someone who likes it as much as we do.

YPFOK3O.gif

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Pretty much all of them that talk to me end up making really bad/uncomfortable, overly familiar jokes to me and it's so awkward. One time I went through a drive thru and the guy kept trying to make jokes about me drinking hand sanitizer just because he saw it in my car (it wasn't in my cup holder or anything). He made like 5 jokes about it in the time it took me to pay for my food and leave

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Not done here in Japan. Maybe quick comments on cute kids by older women but that's it.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I often forget how antisocial Era is sometimes. Love a bit of small talk. Even awkward ones can be a fun story to laugh at later. Even better if the cashier is hot.

As long as they don't hold up the line I don't see the problem. Probably just trying to break the monotony of their work shift.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough that I'm at the stage where I'm fine with employees wanting to talk.
Old enough that I prefer people to machines for payout.

I swear I used to be super antisocial...

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
i like it. If they're choosing to make small talk with me, I must give off a vibe of not being a crazy person. But depending on my mood I may or may not have the energy to banter

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A few weeks ago buying Elden Ring, the cashier asked if I really wanted to buy the game, 'cause of how difficult it was.
... I'm like I had played all the Souls games, yet he still seemed hesitant to sell the game to me.

The whole interaction was just completely wtf.
So no, I generally just want to make my purchase and leave.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
As an introvert with social anxiety....absolutely not. Sorry. Sometimes if im on line and i see up ahead that the cashier is the particularly chatty type, I'll switch lines even if it is longer/slower. I don't want to be involuntarily "engaged". That said, it is inevitable unfortunately and I do my best to politely power through it.

As for my purchase items specifically, i can only recall at the moment a couple of years back near thr holidays, and i had a particularly group of ingredients and the cashier said "Oooh, someone's making some holiday cookies", and I just smiled and said something like "Yeah, or try to at least" and concluded the transaction with "Happy Holidays".

Nothing horrible, but I'd still rather not be engaged. On bad days it's already hard enough doing all the things most consider mundane, like trying to balance on a tightrope on one foot.....and unproked "chit-chat" is like a big gust of wind.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind. I enjoy a small convo. Makes it less awkward when theyre just scanning my stuff and Im standing around with nothing to do.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it as long as it's not commenting on something personal, like feminine hygiene products lol.
I'm a shut in more than I should be, so I actually kinda enjoy those small little pleasant convos.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't mind at all, except this one time I went to get a few groceries:

Me: *Puts one banana, 2-minute noodles and one beer on the counter*

Worker: By any chance, are you single?

Me: Yeah! How did you know?

Worker: 'cause you're fucking ugly!

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
My problem is they make small talk with the people in front of me and then proceed to say absolutely nothing good when I notice a problem with the items that they scan, scanned twice or whatever, they get really pissed.

Usually all I have to do is call them out on their BS and how they were able to carry conversation earlier and not mess up and that keeps it going. I deal with enough, ain't going to give them anything, with one exception (doordashes).

But yeah. I say little and prefer not to do non automated checkouts.

Wait you call out cashiers when they don't join in on your jokes about how they're having a harder time doing there job? Specifically saying they were able to talk with the previous customer without issues? I can't tell if your joking lol. Oddly antagonist if so.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I'm cool with it. I don't see what could be wrong with it.

Sometimes it can be weird, like a few weeks ago when the guy serving started telling me that they were having problems with their barcode scanner because some "pixies" were sabotaging their systems somehow but nobody will admit the truth. But hey, even that's a bit of free entertainment.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I get like food or other personel items, but the people here who don't like things like media or something kinda baffle me. It's kinda nice to talk a bit about a shared interest. The people who actually enjoy interacting with other people seems to be the minority here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I get like food or other personel items, but the people here who don't like things like media or something kinda baffle me. It's kinda nice to talk a bit about a shared interest. The people who actually enjoy interacting with other people seems to be the minority here.

More interesting to me is all the "shut up and take my money" takes.

That's some real humanizing talk of retail workers.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
I don't mind small talks but if it's specifically jokes or comments about what I'm purchasing then yeah it makes me uncomfortable

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
just remember that the cashier has a hundred times more people they don't wanna deal with than you

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Like it ? I start it… I always ask how their day is going. I actually end up getting free stuff when at certain places.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Nope. I know Trader Joe's and other places train employees to do this so I put up with it because it's part of the experience but I 100% hate it and wish they wouldn't.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what I'm buying, obviously.

"These hot chips look good, but I'm scared they're too hot for me". This is fine.

"Ooh, a jumbo box of Trojans! Planning to get lucky this weekend?" Not okay.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
The only small talk I hate is the uncomfortable, and totally forced small talk the cashier has to make with you at Dutch bros. I genuinely hate going there for that reason alone.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Not really. Doesn't happen much with me anyway. I try as much as possible to use self check-outs.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind, because I'm not an asshole.

Let me rephrase; not an asshole about retail workers trying to maintain their sanity

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I like it when the cashier acknowledges my magnum XL condoms.
lol, first ever customer I had at checkout was an old dude buying magnum condoms. The fucking nod the dude gave me when I scanned them was hilarious.
More interesting to me is all the "shut up and take my money" takes.

That's some real humanizing talk of retail workers.
Yeah, there have been some kinda odd takes in this thread that people are saying completely normally.
Depends what I'm buying, obviously.

"These hot chips look good, but I'm scared they're too hot for me". This is fine.

"Ooh, a jumbo box of Trojans! Planning to get lucky this weekend?" Not okay.
This is exactly it. I've had cashiers comment on me buying sriracha or something, it's pretty normal stuff and lasted maybe twenty seconds if even.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It has been a thing at Trader Joe's the past few years. I liked it better when they weren't so obviously forced to make small talk but there's been some good customer-employee discussions about new items that I found helpful or pleasant.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hear well in loud environments with music/lots of other people talking, and the added plexiglass situation for COVID only makes it worse, so I don't really like it much. I try to participate when it happens, but I end up having to ask them to repeat themselves a lot or just smiling along hoping I'm not being an ass. I'm sure it helps their days go by faster.