• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like to play video games while listening to music?

• Yes, generally

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 53 44.2%
  • Not at all

Votes: 60 50.0%

• Total voters

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I 99% dont. Just sometimes for playing Turf War in Splatoon 2. However, I do recognise it is an option.

Do you do? Why? What kind of music do you prefer for this?

Oct 25, 2017
Music not really, I sometimes let video run on my second screen. Depends on the game tho, I do that with mindless games like Borderlands or when grinding locations in Assassin's Creed

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the game
During grinding sections on hack'n'slashes or games like borderlands, sure

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I listen to streams or YouTube videos when playing. If story driven I pause whatever I'm listening too to watch the cutscenes.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
never. Either its a game i want to pay attention to so i have nothing else on. Or its a game like Destiny where u dont have to focus on story things, so i have a podcast on. Usually youtube

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Under a few scenarios.
  • Grinding
  • I don't particularly enjoy the soundtrack
  • I've heard the soundtrack too often

Aaronsteel

Sep 24, 2018
I like to do it when hanging with friends (much more casual experience) or playing my GaaSes like Monster Hunter, Overwatch, and Destiny (it's mindless and I've played enough to not really make it a requirement). If I'm not it's either because I desperately need to hear every sound or just want to experience the plot/soundtrack of the game.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Only in Minecraft, and it's mostly because I've switched to playing the W10 version instead of Java and you can barely hear the soundtrack in that version for some reason.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Depends on the game. If I'm playing a JRPG and I'm grinding or powerlevling, I usually put on other music.
It's easy to get tired of the games music when you hear it over and over and over again during stuff like that.

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
Depends on the type of the game. I usually turn off in-game music when playing racing games on PC like FH4 or NFS and play my own list.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game, if it has a terrible soundtrack I tend to just put my ow stuff on. I'm not gonna make friends on here saying this but I think the Doom Eternal soundtrack is complete ass (completely the wrong kind of metal imo) so I'm listening to G.B.H. instead, makes it much better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. If a game has music I've heard six trillion times before I will ABSOLUTELY drown it out with other music to stay sane.

Other times I just stick to game audio,

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV is the only game where I've actually had to open YouTube on another tab.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, unless I'm doing something repetitive (like running Castrum or Praetorium at the end of FF14 2.0, ugh). In those cases, sometimes I'll watch chunks of shows/movies during the unskippable cutscenes. But yeah, in general, I like having in-game audio.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It really depends on the game. If it's a card game or a puzzle game for instance the music usually isn't a huge part of it so I'll listen to my own music instead. If I'm playing something like an immersive RPG though I'm definitely listening to the in-game audio.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Yes, I love it. Finding my own music used to be one of my favorite pastimes. The 360 spoiled me so much that I don't do it much any more, but it used to be a huge part of gaming for me.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game and the soundtrack. I played the hell out of Burnout 3 back in the day listening to the Prodigy's "Music for the Jilted Generation" as the in game music sucked IMO. This last month I beat Voxelgram while listening to the J-pop group Perfume.

Oct 27, 2017
All the time. I have all my consoles connected to an HDMI switch. The monitor to which it is connected is, in turn, connected via a long 3.5mm audio cable to the line-in port of my PC, which is set to listen.

So I can listen to both my PC and any of my consoles at the same time through one pair of headphones. It's pretty rad.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I really don't. I like the music in the games, people worked hard on this.

Of course not counting specific occasions like if you're at some party or whatever.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Only if I'm grinding in an RPG, or looking for collectibles/100% completion, eg. points of interest in Skellige's ocean in TW3.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
As a suggestion for people who don't like playing other music during a game, playing other music related to a game works pretty well. Two examples would be playing music from previews games in the series and playing music from the TV show and/or movies the game is based on. Playing other genera appropriate music works well too, sci-fi music for a sci-fi game or something more specific like tropical music for a tropical game.

The recent fan translation effort for Gihren's Greed: The Menace of Axis V has got me playing the sound tracks of every UC Gundam show and movie made since 1979. That works a lot better for a long strategy game than the same few tracks over and over again.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
only if there's no story/dialog, or if in games like platformers i've already finished the game and i'm going back to 100% them.
in puzzle games like picross, i prefer listening to podcasts, not music.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Nah. The most I do is have podcasts or Lets Plays on on a second monitor, and only in games where I don't need to be constantly paying attention.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not generally -- I feel that music is part of the experience, and I want to have that whole-assed intentional experience that these people made. I'm also pretty interested in game music.

But if I'm grinding repetitious content with my Switch in handheld mode, I'll mute the Switch and put on a podcast or the news or music, which is especially nice in retro RPGs that offer a fast-forward option (been playing through the whole Phantasy Star series and it's great for that).

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I love playing Fallout or something like that and putting on Spotify when the in game radio gets old.

Usually, no though. I prefer to watch videos.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I used to play SNES RPGs exclusively while listening to grunge music.

Nowadays I'll listen to podcasts while I play Souls games.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
When I was younger I used to always listen to my own music when playing anything handheld. Nowadays since I have the internet I don't so much listen to music when playing games but I pretty much always have a video or something playing while I also play games

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Podcasts for grinding yeah but I always prefer listening to the game's audio the way the developers intended otherwise

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
My teammates in Overwatch are all listening to music while they play, which explains why they can't hear flankers stomping around. That won't ever be me, no sirree.

I used to veg to Stereolab while playing Perfect Dark though; that was pretty sweet.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Only when it's a game I'm grinding/replaying/trophy hunting in, but I prefer to tackle my podcast backlog at the same time.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Only when grinding if at that. Like getting a super rare material that you know requires time. Or an online trophy like KZ2's 1% trophy, where you just gotta put in time and need some background noise.

Oct 28, 2017
The only time I did this was during Ridge Racer on the original PS1. I prefer the default game soundtrack for all my games.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, no. Devil May Cry, yes. Swapping in some gangsta rap while you demolish some demons actually works.