• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you prefer to play on a relatively big or small screen?

• Bigger screen in a living room area on a couch

Votes: 571 80.5%
  • Smaller screen in an office area on a desktop

Votes: 138 19.5%

• Total voters

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Big-ish screen in a small home office. My TV is 48".

For PC games my monitor is only 27". But I prefer gaming on a big TV.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
No preference. A small screen makes it easier to play keyboard games due to the desk, but lap desks can solve that problem too.

Even though once VRR 120hz HDR TVs become cheaper, I'm jumping over to 65 inch land instead of my 23 inch monitor, I'm not tied to either one.

Bigger screens do make it easier for couch co-op though.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The size of screen I prefer is proportional to how readable the text is.
There's games where the text is small on a small screen bc the game was made for a much larger screen (ex. some games on the Switch Lite),
and then there's game where the text is small on large screen bc they didn't consider how the subtitles etc. would look on a larger screen.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
both.

big when im experiencing new content (not only just a big screen, but a high quality one paierd with a good sound system).. small when im playing something ive played before, grinding in an rpg, exploring, etc.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Small screen I guess. I use a 24 inch computer monitor and a 37 inch TV. Don't really need anything larger. I also never felt the need to get the larger handhelds like the 3ds xl, the regular was large enough.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
One time, I had a lead on a project that didn't have it all together. This oblivious person who didn't play games at all. Like... AT ALL.

But they thought playing PC games on a monitor was the dumbest thing a person could do because a PC monitor is smaller than a TV. Their logic was "why would you not use the biggest screen possible?"

We were working on a PC game.

They were eventually fired.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I sit at a computer desk all day at work. Ill never come home and do the same so I'll pick couch and big TV. I don't even own a desk.
since I was given a monitor from work and I'm remote, I've opted to trying out exactly that. Although I can understand where you're coming from.

Gotta say from how one sided the poll is, I wondered whether the second option would even make it to over 100 votes.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I´m currently playing on a ´49 LG TV, that fits perfectly in the spaces I use for videogames. A bigger screen would be a waste.

That said, for playing seriously / competitively, I would still choose my good old ´24 Viewsonic monitor. I have been recently thinking about returning to monitors, given the insane prices of the new TVs here in Argentina.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I have my switch, ps5, and gaming pc all hooked up to my 65" lg c9.

I never liked gaming at my desk.

It's so much more comfortable gaming on my couch. Even kb and mouse works fine on a couch if you have the right setup.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I can't play half as well on big screen. Give me 21-24 inch monitor sitting close to a 50inch TV every time.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 55" TV and would go bigger if not for the ridiculously increased prices. I only play on a monitor when I play a game that is best played with M+K or impossible with a gamepad, which isn't very often.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Recently I much prefer to sit at a desk with a 27" monitor over sitting in a couch or chair and a big ass TV.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
I used to be everything on the tv; consoles and PC.

But even after building our home theatre (75" in-wall/ceiling Atmos, etc) I've since built a way better home office (basically perma-WFH) and have moved the gaming PC there instead.

To be honest I'm mostly console these days, where my PC gaming rig is meant for isometric CRPGs, 4X, RTS, and the like...and it just feels way better on a traditionally smaller PC screen (even though it's a 34" ultrawide lol) but it might be the playing on a desk with MnK instead.

I'd almost say the thread could also be based on the format of your gaming space (couch vs desk) rather than based on the screen size (tv vs monitor).

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be everything on the tv; consoles and PC.

But even after building our home theatre (75" in-wall/ceiling Atmos, etc) I've since built a way better home office (basically perma-WFH) and have moved the gaming PC there instead.

To be honest I'm mostly console these days, where my PC gaming rig is meant for isometric CRPGs, 4X, RTS, and the like...and it just feels way better on a traditionally smaller PC screen (even though it's a 34" ultrawide lol) but it might be the playing on a desk with MnK instead.

I'd almost say the thread could also be based on the format of your gaming space (couch vs desk) rather than based on the screen size (tv vs monitor).
the way I see it though is that if you're at a desk, your eyes are a lot closer to the screen so you shouldn't have a big one. or I guess that could just be an urban legend.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I spend most of my time playing at a custom built desk/work bench on a 40" screen. It sounds mad but it works for me.

Wouldn't go any bigger than 40" on a desktop though.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
the way I see it though is that if you're at a desk, your eyes are a lot closer to the screen so you shouldn't have a big one. or I guess that could just be an urban legend.
Lol it's def a myth, but the fatigue you get is real.

Usually the issue is the closer to a screen you are the less you blink, which increases dryness of eyes, causing fatigue and eye strain.

But I definitely know what you mean, some big screens close up are just a lot to deal with lol.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Don't enjoy games nearly as much on a big screen. Too much real estate to cover. Smaller screens are the way to go for me. Currently game on a 27" monitor.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Lol it's def a myth, but the fatigue you get is real.

Usually the issue is the closer to a screen you are the less you blink, which increases dryness of eyes, causing fatigue and eye strain.

But I definitely know what you mean, some big screens close up are just a lot to deal with lol.
I used to rent a 70 square ft room and bought a 55" OLED for it. One of my roommates at the time was saying that when I play video games I'm gonna be constantly turning my head to look around on the screen because of how big it was in the small room but that never ended up being the case.

I never notice how often I blink though...that's one of those things where you can't "unthink" about it when you realize that blinking is something that you just do subconsciously.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't touched video games in quite a while during the holy month but I took some time to relax and played for about an hour last night. I dunno if it was because I started after a long time or because of how close I was sitting but I felt a mini headache. Could've just been me thinking too much about it too.