• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you prefer to play on a relatively big or small screen?

• Bigger screen in a living room area on a couch

Votes: 571 80.5%
  • Smaller screen in an office area on a desktop

Votes: 138 19.5%

• Total voters

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
For most of my life in gaming, I've had my console plugged into the television in the living room. Throughout the years, that tv has gone from being 61" to 50" to now 55". And it is great, but since my newest job sent me a a monitor, I have opted to plug my newest console into this monitor and now I play video games in the bedroom, on the workstation. FYI the monitor is 27".

I kinda dig both, to be honest. I think there is a level of appreciation in getting to play video games on a smaller screen at a desk, as opposed to on a couch with a bigger screen. But of course having a much bigger screen at your disposal is really flexing and has a more welcoming sight to it.

Apologies in advance if the poll choices are too specific, I was just going off of my imagination on what the two most common setups would usually be. I also don't know what to actually assign as a big or small screen, but we can say a television that is 37" and less is considered small, and a television within 40-49" is average while 50" and above goes large. I could be totally wrong about this though, I don't know statistics behind monitor/television sizes and ownership in gaming...

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
The big tv is nice but often playing on my monitor is more convenient. Remote play has really let me have my cake and eat it too: I have the PS5 on a big projector in the basement, but I can connect from my desktop at any time. I really hope Sony can add 4k remote play at some point.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I transitioned from preferring bigger TV's to more intimate monitors I can sit closer to for various reasons.

From a 55inch 4k TV to a 32 inch 4K Monitor.

Joe M. Owens

Nov 6, 2017
My favorite game screen size is anything between 42" and 55". I definitely dig a super sharp high refresh rate pc monitor, but I'm totally OK with a medium-sized(?) display at 60FPS if I can relax on the couch!

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Until this year I have always played my games on a computer screen at a computer desk even though I was only on consoles. I feel like it was something left over from my WoW years. I just associated gaming with being at a computer desk. Over the last year I have transitioned to on couch gaming with a big screen. I'll be honest it was tough at first but now I love it. Much more relaxing. I attribute that to owning a house and having a dedicated gaming attic. Before I was renting apartment and always felt weird if I tied up the main TV with gaming even if it was just me or my gf.

OrionsNebula

Oct 25, 2017
I use my computer monitor at my desk when gaming alone, and the TV in the living room when gaming with others or someone wants to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Big screen, I hate playing anything on a small screen, it's the major reason I don't do portable gaming and my Switch never leaves the dock. If I am not playing it on my C9, then I'm probably not playing it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I sit back on the couch and play. I prefer a big screen for doing so.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
About a year ago I moved my PC into the living room and have never looked back.

There's some games that are obviously designed for a closer viewing distance (tiny text!) but for the most part they can be tweaked with menu settings or mods.

But the Switch has also reminded me of the options handheld gaming brings. Tetris 99 is a great early morning weekend time killer, and you can watch tv at the same time. Darkest Dungeon feels like less of a grind when it's not taking up 100% of my attention. More minimalist visuals look great on the small screen as well. The only thing that bugs me with the handheld Switch is needing to use headphones to get decent audio.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my games these days are either played in handheld mode on my switch or on an old 10" CRT on my office desk... so even though I love having a big TV, practically I do most of my play on smaller screens and that's just the way it is.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
While I do most of my gaming on the living room couch on the big TV I fell back in love with gaming in my home office desk on my 24'' monitor.
When gaming in the living room I usually also use the time to hang out with my wife after the kid's in bed. I find I'm more engaged in the office setup, not only because I'm closer to the screen, but also because when I play in the office it's usually quiet and dark.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've always been more comfortable with a smaller screen and sitting close. Even 27" was a bit too large for my liking.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely prefer having a big screen, but I did dabble in small screen for a bit and it was kinda neat but not great for long sessions imo

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I like to play video games. Screen size does not impact the fun factor. I have played on an 85 inch TV and the Game Boy Micro 1 inch screen (and many sizes and form factors in between.)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This has entirely to do with the game for me. Lots of games I prefer on a large screen, but many others I prefer on a smaller screen or handheld.

I have a really hard time getting in to 2D games in a home theater setup, but will play them for hundreds of hours on a handheld if given the chance. The Vita was really great for that. All those PS1 RPGs, Castlevanias, and indie platformers were wonderful on a handheld format which just seemed to better present that kind of content in a smaller and more intimate form factor.

But with 3D games like Souls, God of War, Doom, etc, the bigger the better. Those are "big games" that I like on a big screen because when I play those games I feel very tapped in and immersed and that's aided by a large display.

Other games I prefer at a "workstation", like a PC set up. Simulator games like The Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon feel like they're better served by a keyboard and mouse. I pick and choose based on the game.

TKG

Apr 26, 2018
Istanbul, Turkey
I don't know why but I can't really stand playing games on a small screen, like a 15-inch laptop screen, or a much smaller mobile device. Currently, I play PlayStation 5 on a 55-inch TV and some really small games on my old 17-inch gaming laptop. Even though there's a 2-inches of difference, 17-inch would be the smallest screen I can feel fine and not restricted.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Big screen and surround system is the way to go for me. It goes great with Sony's blockbuster titles, almost like a cinema.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We have a 120" projector screen in the living room and a 27" monitor in the office. The Xbox is hooked up to the projector and we have a Switch dock in both rooms so I just go to play wherever fits me best. Don't like TVs that are more than a few feet away, feels like playing through a toilet window.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
55" is optimal for me. I can sit 10ft away on the sofa or grab a beanbag from the playroom and sit real close.

Anything smaller and I feel like I'm at work especially if sat at a desk

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Big all the way. I used to play on a projector with a 100'+ screen. Switched to a OLED because of image quality. Hopefully one day I will be able to have both.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since I've transition to mostly PC gaming, I prefer a smaller screen.

I think if I'm playing...like Mortal Kombat, Pinball Arcade or something like Smash/Mario Party, a bigger TV and a couch is nice.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I much prefer a big screen and playing from the couch. Good audio system also adds quite a bit to the whole experience.
Why isn't a big screen in a small room an option?
I'm not so sure if arbitrary poll options like this really change the question presented, and as op already said:
Apologies in advance if the poll choices are too specific, I was just going off of my imagination on what the two most common setups would usually be.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bigger is better if they have the same tech. I play more on my monitor now vs my 55inch tv as my monitor has gsync at 120hz.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer a smaller screen mostly just to use less power.

I've put my 40" 4K tv a little closer to me on a side-table recently to play games though, since using it hasn't made my light bill go up like my old 1080p set did.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I prefer smaller screens. I feel closer to the action and more immersed nearer the monitor, rather than slouching on a couch.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Big screen always. For console gaming.

For PC gaming its just easier to play on the monitor so I dont really care when it comes to PC gaming.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Much prefer a larger screen, although I have a bit of a pet peeve which is big beautiful screens that are just way too far away from the couch or not angled properly to be any good. I keep my screen closer than the guides say, not TV on the desktop close, but like, I keep my couch maybe 5 feet away from my 55". Enough for a reclinder and coffee table and no more.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
It's funny, it really depends on the game! I can very easily output my PC to the TV, and I systematically do it for AAA games, but not always for smaller ones, even those played on a controller.

Zalera

Mar 26, 2021
I typically game on my TV or monitor, but I like playing handhelds too. Not phones though, dunno why.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Bigger screen on a couch for the most part. The issue arises when I want to play a keyboard-heavy game and I don't have a comfortable way to play it.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
My wife uses our "main" TV a lot. In order to feel like I can play whenever I feel like it, I play PC and consoles games in my office on my monitor, primarily. It's not as relaxing, but it is very convenient.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, it really depends on the game! I can very easily output my PC to the TV, and I systematically do it for AAA games, but not always for smaller ones, even those played on a controller.

do you have multiple platforms set up in different rooms of your home and each game you decide to play is available on the platform you wish to play on the screen set up?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Just like movies it depends on the game.

Big block buster exclusives on the 50 inch OLED and the rest I can play on the computer monitor just fine.

Sometimes I want to play a playstation game while also watching a movie or show and just switeroo the HDMI cables from TV and second PC monitor and sit in my recliner chair instead of my bed.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I like to play on a large screen and I also like to play with a small screen strapped to my face that gives the impression of an even larger screen.

Oct 27, 2017
Def big screen in the living room or game room. Handheld like the switch or DS are nice when you're traveling, but if I'm sitting in my house, I'm not gonna look at these tiny ass screens as it hurts my eyes and eventually my neck starts cramping up in whatever way I'm holding or sitting.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on the game. Some games lend themselves well to being carried around and played everywhere on a small screen.

I prefer most games on a bigger screen though.