• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abolish the monarchy?

• Keep the Royals

Votes: 117 17.8%
  • Bye

Votes: 541 82.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Waste of money. The buildings and history are what bring in the tourists not the senile racists and child molesting inbreds.

every other European country with a lot of tourism and no royal family manages just fine without a clan of embarrassing parasites waving at stuff four times a year.
Said perfectly.

I'm english by the way

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
They're good for tourists, but that's about it for a plus for me. Otherwise, I don't much care about them (apart from if something happens e.g. a wedding, and we get a day off)

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
I find the entire concept literally offensive. A small example as to why...

My grandfather grew up poor in what was (and still is) a very famous English university town. He'd make money as a young lad carrying bags for students and academics. Age 19 he crossed the channel on D Day + 1 and was part of the first artillery company to get to the Rhine. After VE Day, he was on his way to Japan when the atomic bombs were dropped. Upon returning home, he married his childhood sweetheart (my grandmother), got a job as a tire fitter and settled down raising two daughters. He remained a tire fitter until the day he retired. He was a kind, hardworking man - a staunch anti-racist and anti-fascist. On one remarkable occasion, he told another close relative to shut the fuck up during an anti-immigrant rant as he didn't fight for what he fought for and go through what he went through to tolerate that, especially from a family member.

Remarkably, despite his advanced years and the stoke he had seven years ago that deprived him of the use of his legs, he is still with us and full of humour and love for his family. He's my hero. I emigrated 16 years ago and miss him daily.

But despite all this, due to his "lowly" birth, he is INATELY inferior to fucking Mr Phil Windsor. Or Andy the Pedo's Friend. He is deemed less than those fucking parasites. Not because of what he did, but because of who he is. Who his parents were (or weren't as the case is).

FUCK. THAT. Fuck the lot of em.

Edited for sensitivity.

Last edited:

Diya

Oct 27, 2017
Underworld
As an Aussie I really don't give a shit what their kids wore today or what one of the royals twice-removed cousin's in-law's friends did, but the news/radio seems to want to tell me every fucking day.

I don't like them.

Yeah I really dislike the tabloid obsession with the Royals and what William or Kate farts smell like which is almost as bad if not worse than the Kardashian obsession. It just maintains the hold the rich have on the ordinary folk.The only royal I really felt sympathetic for was Princess Diana as she defied the Royal family's ridiculous traditions and the public's obsession with her literally lead to her death.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abusing state funds /tax payers money for absolutely nothing, some using their power for total evil (Epstein's mates that are royals), there is no place for them, or their kind in the 21st Century.
Quite frankly, I don't know how people put up with it. Having a monarch seems archaic. Administratively, a complete and utter waste of time. And when the UK does leave the EU and Government's use of people's hard earned tax money becomes a bigger issue, lets see what happens then.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bigger question is, with the Royals gone, what would the BBC funding be spent on if they aren't making numerous historical drama's on different inbred Queens / Kings of yesteryear? I always figured they make those to brainwash people into worshipping the current monarch.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
The Queen sitting on a throne decked out in bling always rubs me the wrong way when foodbanks are on the rise across the UK.

They contribute towards the classism divides that are destroying the UK. As does Westminster.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Never met them but I don't think I'd like them, too posh, entitled and arrogant. I'd get rid of the lot of them, the nobility or whatever they're called too. A few miles away from here resides the Duke of Buccleugh who inherited a third of scotland and a lot more besides, because some distant relative of his helped some king out 400 years ago. As a nation we live way too much in the past and it holds us back and creates massive inequality.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The British obsession with class is something we should aspire to dismantle, and the removal of its greatest symbol: the monarchy would go a long way.

Tourists will continue to look at the palaces and buy merchandise even with the 'aura' of Royal presence gone.

Sep 28, 2018
British here. Abolishing the royal family would be shortsighted stupidity... Like Brexit.

Sad but unexpected results given the current news... Frankly, though, getting rid of the Royals would be about damaging to the British economy as Brexit is destined to be - possibly worse. The bring in far, far more money than they take and having a Royal, like the queen, be a patron of a charity makes it generate a hell of a lot more donations...
The Queen is a patron to 510 charities in Britain, including Cancer Research UK, the British Red Cross and Barnado's. The wider Royal Family support a grand total of 2,415 charities in Britain, with this figure rising to almost 3,000 worldwide.

Here is a video that explains:

Sep 28, 2018
I think I'm going to need to see your working here.

A leading consultancy firm found that the Royals contributed £1.766 billion to the economy in 2017 while maintaining the monarchy costs around £292 million or £4.50 per person.

Brand Finance measured the monarchy's value as if it were a business and concluded that it was worth £25.5 billion. This included the Crown Estate, the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall and the jewels and art that comprise the Royal Collection.

They estimate the Royals will bring in a further £42 billion to the UK economy over the next few years. The report also estimates the monarchy generated £550million for tourism in 2017, the largest single contribution to the economy.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
What is their purpose now apart from a big tourist attraction?

Here's a question - how much will GB lose in revenue if they decided to become a full republic?

EDIT: Fail at reading, the answer was given above.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
A leading consultancy firm found that the Royals contributed £1.766 billion to the economy in 2017 while maintaining the monarchy costs around £292 million or £4.50 per person.

Brand Finance measured the monarchy's value as if it were a business and concluded that it was worth £25.5 billion. This included the Crown Estate, the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall and the jewels and art that comprise the Royal Collection.

They estimate the Royals will bring in a further £42 billion to the UK economy over the next few years. The report also estimates the monarchy generated £550million for tourism in 2017, the largest single contribution to the economy.
So you think that Brexit would have a negative impact that was smaller than £1.5 billion p.a.?

The economic impact of Brexit has been estimated at perhaps 1% to 5% of GDP. GDP is about £2.8 trillion. So 1% of that would be £28 billion p.a. And the "divorce bill" is nearly £40 billion.

Let's also remember that just because the Royal Family were to be abolished, it doesn't mean that the tourist trade in connection with all things Royal would disappear entirely. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Versailles gets 10m visitors a year.

Sep 28, 2018
So you think that Brexit would have a negative impact that was smaller than £1.5 billion p.a.?

The economic impact of Brexit has been estimated at perhaps 1% to 5% of GDP. GDP is about £2.8 trillion. So 1% of that would be £28 billion p.a. And the "divorce bill" is nearly £40 billion.

Let's also remember that just because the Royal Family were to be abolished, it doesn't mean that the tourist trade in connection with all things Royal would disappear entirely. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Versailles gets 10m visitors a year.

No, you are right it would not be a blow like Brexit is bound to be. Still, I feel like the benefits of the monarchy on our economy outway any negatives and until that changes, they might as well stick around.

Oct 25, 2017
Not from the UK, but I deteste monarchs in every way. I think it's ridiculous that we still have so many sitting around in Europe, even if most of them are basically nothing more than tourist attractions.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
The privilege of being born from the correct vagina gives rule ove the country.... Can we go back to sword fights?

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Yep, ignore all the great she did and the bullshit she had to deal with, which ultimately led to her losing her life, because she didn't conform to the monarchy.

What a stupid take.

Yeah and let's also hold up someone of absolute privilege as a result. I don't despise Diana, but I'm not going to pretend she wasn't in the system.

What are opinions, champ?

Edit:
Princess Diana was the best Royal.

Oh there it is, how silly of me.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and let's also hold up someone of absolute privilege as a result. I don't despise Diana, but I'm not going to pretend she wasn't in the system.

What are opinions, champ?

Supported over 100 charities, was the most prominent voice and leader in pushing for a worldwide ban on landmines, was one of the world's foremost ambassadors and influential voices of HIV and AIDS, was one of the world's foremost ambassadors and influential voices for leprosy, spent a large portion of her time and platform visiting and bring attention to homelessness, did the same for mental illnesses and the stigmas surrounding it... and championed the work of Britain's shelters, ditto for Children's illness and cancer etc. etc. etc.

She pushed for the monarchy to be a vehicle that used its privilege to help people and get in touch with them. She was shunned, bullied and dragged through the coals at every step of the turn because she didn't conform to what the Monarchy had been.

For you to advocate that she, and the incredible work she did around the world, be relegated and ignored shows a stunning lack of intelligence and ignorance on your part.

You obviously have no clue who Diana was or what she did. Enough said.

Edit:

Oh there it is, how silly of me.

Indeed. Educate yourself.

Last edited:

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
British here. Abolishing the royal family would be shortsighted stupidity... Like Brexit.

Sad but unexpected results given the current news... Frankly, though, getting rid of the Royals would be about damaging to the British economy as Brexit is destined to be - possibly worse. The bring in far, far more money than they take and having a Royal, like the queen, be a patron of a charity makes it generate a hell of a lot more donations...
The Queen is a patron to 510 charities in Britain, including Cancer Research UK, the British Red Cross and Barnado's. The wider Royal Family support a grand total of 2,415 charities in Britain, with this figure rising to almost 3,000 worldwide.

Here is a video that explains:

Do you seriously think that people would give less to charity without the Queen?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I swore allegiance to the Queen to get my NZ citizenship but like, I'm also French so I think they should have done away with the royals two hundred years ago haha