• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abolish the monarchy?

• Keep the Royals

Votes: 117 17.8%
  • Bye

Votes: 541 82.2%

• Total voters

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
All unearned* privilege should be fought against and removed. The Royals are the most blatant example of unearned privilege there is.

Also, including Meghan in the poll is mega-suss OP. She gets a lot of racist shit spewed at her, and she actually had to put in some effort to become part of the Royal Family, rather than just being born.

*Almost all privilege is unearned.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Queen is kinda like a cosy constant but when she goes, I think their popularity will tumble quite a bit, probably why the Queen is staying on so long, she knows.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, this feels like some bad faith misconstruing. I didn't say we can't do any better, there's plenty of changes that can be done to wealth gap, taxes, privilege, and more. So saying people can't be prevented from getting rich and passing it on is independent of my belief that there are absolute changes needed in general wealth gaps and taxation. But even the most aggressive tax plans are unlikely to take billionaires from where they are down to middle class. People will still get rich, and their kids will get the benefits.
You need to re-read what I said.

My post doesn't mean that you're literally saying society can't do any better, it means that you are making a defence of capitalism that is of the same type as the people saying there always has to be vast inequality. That's a match for what you've now written here.

And no, the powerful prior monarchies of the U.K. are not in action anymore.
Not sure if that's meant to be a response to me? I explicitly write in the post that you're responding to that the monarchy of the UK has only ceremonial powers. I don't need you to explain that to me.

Saying the declining power of British royals are a gateway or slippery slope to authoritarian governments is a new one for me.
It shouldn't be, attempts by ceremonial (or near-ceremonial) monarchs to reassert their power have happened throughout history.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to talk to someone who is prepared to change their position. A rare thing on this board.

I am prepared to accept that the royal family aren't "splineless", and that there are centuries of expectations, traditions and legal documents standing in their way. I am aware of small gestures, like the older Prince arguing for environment. but...

I believe the Royal family has left the vacuum with their representative role. Most other nations do have leaders - representatives, who inspire and guide the population. Monarchy draws more attention than politicians, but they can only provide entertainment for gossip. Eyes fall upon the Royal family, who have their mouths shut, and therefore the country has no direction. I would even argue as far as there is no such thing as being neutral today: being silent on the massive issues like war or Brexit carries the perception that it is normal to be in this situation.

Take German president, for example, he is a representative, but nobody even knows his name outside of Germany. That is a good thing, because he occupies neither the attention nor the political power of Germany. The Royal family occupies the attention only.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
can't say on a daily basis I really care about them one way or another or even think about them at all

from an american perspective I do think in the grand scheme of things they add something to the country culturally though,neat little curiosity for tourism and such

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
I despise them and it's a shame the amount of celebration coming from my fellow Black friends/Black people on the internet when Megan markle married Prince William.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Viewing from the US I don't have a strong opinion of them other than they are fine.

I look at them about like I do the Kardashians.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Not getting a strong counter argument.

We don't live in a fair and equal society nor are we ever going to. We can overthrow monarchies, we can topple governments, replace the capitalist economy, but we still will never live in a fair and equal society. I'm just not convinced how removing a ceremonial title will all of a sudden spur the advancement to this Utopia.

Now if it was a monarchy that actually ruled, I'd be on board "fuck the monarchy!"

I'm not advocating for an impossible utopia, I'm advocating for the continued fight against wealth inequality.

But by your logic, why change anything? "Sure, we could try to make things more fair and equal but utopia is impossible so fuck it, let's watch Downton Abbey. What's the point in even trying?"

I don't think a monarchy's existence aids in addressing wealth inequality. I also don't take too kindly to any institution that protects fucking pedophiles. And as a Canadian, I don't think we can achieve true reconciliation with our indigenous population while continuing our ceremonial ties to the monarchy.

Monsieur Paul

Oct 27, 2017
The royals are one of many proofs that one can be very rich and miserable.
In addition, as a Gen X I like Prince Charles because he is the embodiment of my generation: blocked all his life by the older generation and now ready to get fucked by the younger generation 🙂

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, if she actually tried to take control a lot of people would be embracing republicanism in a jiffy, but you said she is not allowed to express opinions. That is a very different thing from starting wars or changing governments. And where is the line drawn there? Will the monarchy be abolished if she expresses any opinion, or does it have to be something drastic? I don't believe you can answer those questions, because there is in fact no rule that lets someone state categorically that "she really, really isn't allowed to."

But of course she is not going to express opinions, because she has nothing to gain and much to lose. Because she's a parasite who already has a juicy host.

I mean the line is drawn on her expressing opinions. The minute she does that, it's a crisis.

Charles got no end of shit for expressing an opinion on a ugly building.

There was a news story this year about a time when the Queen raised an eyebrow at the behest of Cameron and that was considered to be overstepping the mark

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than Meghan, I don't give a toss about them.

let me get my one sided view of what just happened off my chest

I got blocked by someone for defending the Royals a bit on Discord. We went back and forth about opposing views on their benefit to the U.K. Then it turned into nobody should be born into that wealth and privilege they said. I asked how do you stop people from being rich at birth and they said taxation and closed loopholes. I said I don't see how you stop people from getting rich and passing their money on. Like idk how plastic surgeons and the next Microsoft creator aren't gonna be rich. They said if I want closed borders and monarchies to vote Trump. I said I thought all countries had closed borders tbh but someone else in the chat said the EU doesn't which I replied with my surprise at this info and then it was clarified it's between EU citizenships. And then I was blocked.

A bit tragic since I didn't think it was that big of an argument and we've been in that Discord for like 2 years. I'm American btw but I have gone to England to see the monarchy stuff.

Do you like the UK Royals?

Reading this and seeing "Bye Meghan" in the poll option truly highlights that you are an ignorant racist American.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, especially since it's preventing the UK from having a proper head of state that's the last line of defense against unconstitutional laws - like most EU democracies have.
Boris being able to disband parliament is on that idiotic system. The queen should've stopped that.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think about them unless they're in the news (which is far too often to my taste), and they seem to me like a bunch of parasites on the UK taxpayers, but again, I'm not from the UK, so I don't really care.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
"Bye Meghan"?

Yeah, you would be the sort to think the monarchy was great purely based on visiting them as a tourist.

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
Also, including Meghan in the poll is mega-suss OP. She gets a lot of racist shit spewed at her, and she actually had to put in some effort to become part of the Royal Family, rather than just being born.
I'm indifferent, but seeing Meghan named in the poll (and not Elizabeth, Charles, William, Kate, or Harry) raises an eyebrow. She's already being dragged through the mud by racists who despise her joining British royalty.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
As an Australian Republican I really wish they'd fuck off.

And a medium-hot take: I wish we'd let Diana fade into obscurity too.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Kind of think Harry deep down resents the shitty way his family treated his Mom, sees similar attitude toward his wife. Interesting that it's bye Megan not bye Andy.....

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not advocating for an impossible utopia, I'm advocating for the continued fight against wealth inequality.

But by your logic, why change anything? "Sure, we could try to make things more fair and equal but utopia is impossible so fuck it, let's watch Downton Abbey. What's the point in even trying?"

I don't think a monarchy's existence aids in addressing wealth inequality. I also don't take too kindly to any institution that protects fucking pedophiles. And as a Canadian, I don't think we can achieve true reconciliation with our indigenous population while continuing our ceremonial ties to the monarchy.
That's not my logic. I'm saying that this isn't advancing the fight in income inequality. Rid of them, taxpayers save 80 million pounds a year. They become richer, they still hold titles and their children and grandchildren will still have opportunities across the world that we can't even fathom. This is, as someone mentioned, a ceremonial victory.

Now, you mentioned Canada reconciliation with its indigenous population. That is a good argument. I'm nowhere close to being knowledgeable to even speak to that, but I completely can understand that maybe the overhang over colonialism through the monarchy and not being a part of the Commonwealth may improve relations. Great argument, never occurred to me.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not my logic. I'm saying that this isn't advancing the fight in income inequality. Rid of them, taxpayers save 80 million pounds a year. They become richer, they still hold titles and their children and grandchildren will still have opportunities across the world that we can't even fathom. This is, as someone mentioned, a ceremonial victory.
First time Ive heard an 80 million pound budget save being just a 'ceremonial victory' but sure why not.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Other than Meghan, I don't give a toss about them.

Reading this and seeing "Bye Meghan" in the poll option truly highlights that you are an ignorant racist American.
Stop. You've inferred the wrong extreme here. I think Meghan is the best of them and deserves her platform and happiness in the family. Thought that would be clear from me stating my like for the Royals remaining in position, not a distaste. I think the racism against her is cruel and wrong, and I think abolishing their platform would be punishing for someone I think does a lot of good. I was simply trying to associate abolishing their monarchy with punishing someone likable, as I'm biased toward doing the opposite and letting them keep their titles in peace. I have asked a mod to change it because I don't want anyone picking that out of solidarity with hate against her, but don't misrepresent my sentiments.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm american so I only ever hear about them when they die or get married and I avoid the coverage as much as I can.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not getting a strong counter argument.

We don't live in a fair and equal society nor are we ever going to. We can overthrow monarchies, we can topple governments, replace the capitalist economy, but we still will never live in a fair and equal society. I'm just not convinced how removing a ceremonial title will all of a sudden spur the advancement to this Utopia.

Now if it was a monarchy that actually ruled, I'd be on board "fuck the monarchy!"
They are heads of state over countries they enslaved...

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I'm American

HANG KING GEORGE the third in case it wasn't clear i'm not actually advocating violence against anyone haha

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I do not like the monarchy as a political system and don't think UK Royals should posses the political powers they currently hold, irrespective of whether they exercise it. They maybe good people (some of them at least) but their existence is just another symbol and upholding of classism in society.

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Queen well enough but after she dies I believe New Zealand should become a republic.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
My only main gripe with them is how the state basically shells out tax money for their benefit.

The UK government should stop doing that. They will likely still be very rich people with all the privilege associated with that but at least no public funds will be used for them any longer. They get to keep thier titles, etc, but just have them no longer be the official part of the government. Turn the castles into museums. Turn the royal items as property of the state. Take all the land.

They will still be making tens of millions of dollars if not hundreds of millions of dollars just by merely existing. They do not deserve public funding.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Queen well enough but after she dies I believe New Zealand should become a republic.
This is a sentiment I hear echoed through many commonwealth countries. I wonder if there will be a domino effect following her death with many of them becoming republics. Or maybe it's just a way for people to push thinking about this issue to some day in the future and something new will replace the Queen's death as a reason.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I'm pretty indifferent. I understand there are legit arguments on both sides but it seems pretty apparent that most of the hostility stems from bitterness and jealousy.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
As someone from a completely different country: The queen seems cool, keep her around until she dies, then end it as a tradition entirely. Fuck the rest of them.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The Queen's a pretty cool individual, but no monarchy should exist.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that France makes way more from tourism related to palaces, etc. than England does despite long ago ridding itself of its monarchy, so it can't even be argued that they're a net economic benefit.

France is the most visited country in the world, I believe, for tourism. The tourism argument has always been rather fatuous though.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah France's castles/palaces I believe are also visited by more people compared to the UKs royal buildings.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. They suck. They provide no tangible benefit to society other than misguided nostalgia.

I would have hoped that this Andrew shit coming to light would finally bury them but alas here we are, witnessing shit just slide off them as always.

They're gross.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't matter that they bring in tourism for me. I don't care that they're an institution.

They are a living testament to social inequality just because, and are descended from people who apparently got told by God they had a right to rule over other people.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Royalty has no place in this day and age. So I say "fuck off" to all of them, everywhere.

I'm not okay with anyone getting tons of tax payer money and not paying taxes themselves.

My country is a monarchy too and that entire family is surrounded in controversy and bizarro stuff ranging back to before WWII. The King himself and his wife seem the two most "normal" of the bunch.